Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 09:32 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,697,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
Pacific2,

Great job! I've just added Aliso Viejo to our list of towns to visit and emailed the realtor to add it to the list. Love the lip dub sizzle reel. A little enthusiasm makes the world a better place!

PS I've decided to work with two realtors now. One for the beach towns (HB, NB and LB) and one for the other areas we're interested in, now including Aliso Viejo. They both thought it was a good idea.

I'm getting excited for the relo trip!
Happy hunting! There are also plenty of close-by places to consider, like Dana Point and Laguna Niguel.
I'm often at Dana Point Harbor walking my dogs, and I find people there to be friendly.

Laguna Beach is a favorite and since we are a neighboring affordable town, we benefit from the pollination by some of their less-than-millionaire artistic types.

Last edited by pacific2; 10-14-2012 at 09:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 09:48 AM

For indoor sports, there’s the Renaissance ClubSport and Spa:

Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Spa, Sport Club & Hotel - YouTube

There’s also, Azarian Gymnastics Center:

M61 Kim Goodwin, 20-ft Rope Climb, 3rd climb, 4.90 sec - YouTube

Old 10-14-2012, 09:54 AM

I have too much time on my hands this morning.

The Aliso Viejo Ice Palace is another indoor sports location.

Flyers vs Ducks - AV Ice Palace - July 24, 2010 - Video 24 - YouTube

Finally(?) , there is the Aliso Viejo Golf Course, plus the city-run Aquatic Center:

A Round of Golf at Aliso Viejo Country Club - YouTube

Last edited by pacific2; 10-14-2012 at 11:20 AM..

Old 10-14-2012, 10:27 AM

643 posts, read 1,487,044 times
DH likes the golf link, Pacific2. Thanks. Love what I vaguely remember about Laguna Beach but concerned it's too difficult to get in and out of in the summer and very pricey for anything we'd like. Better to be close by but not "in" LB I'm presuming (besides our price range probably keeps us out, lolz). Also, commute time (vs distance) from Brea area? It won't be every day but often enough that it matters. 45 to 60 minutes is the desired maximum and of course, less is much better!

Apologies to ohboy for hijacking her thread -- but hopefully this "friendly" vibe will cheer her up, and anyone else reading the thread.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:07 AM

82 posts, read 131,767 times
Quote:
When was the last time you moved, ohboy? I'm on my way in a corporate relo (my DH's not mine) to your area. Looking at the coastal towns as possible landing spots.

I last moved three years ago. Like you, have lived many places -- nine states, mostly in or near major cities. I think moving after 50 is quite different than the many other moves I've made (I've lived in 9 states, mostly in or near major cities). This last one was very difficult. People I met through work were mostly people I had very little (if anything) in common with and people I met through some volunteer work were very involved with their families (young kids or grandchildren). I went to a few youth bball games for acquaintances' grandkids (begrudgingly) and quickly gave up on that circuit.

The older we get, the deeper the roots and broader the scope of family and social networks in our peer group. Those of us who have moved a lot will find it increasingly difficult to make new friends. All of the conventional advice, while certainly meant to be helpful, (find group activities and "bloom where you're planted") is exponentially less effective for 50-somethings and/or empty nesters.

I don't surf, I'm not a size 2 and I don't do botox -- but PM me if you'd like. I could use some advice with our upcoming relo trip. The only thing harder than making new friends in our demographic in southern OC might be finding a house to lease that's suitable for empty nesters, rather than 5 bdrm/6 car garages or bungalows best for a single surfer dude.

Maybe your post will bring others out of the wordwork. I'm hoping it's not the southern OC area -- that it's our stage in life. 50+ when moving around is striking me a lot like being 13. Awkward, but still hoping the best is yet to come.
I am giggling to myself as I reread what you wrote. ANd having a hardy laugh at what I wrote waaaay past my bedtime.

Firstly I do want to apologize for the size and botox comment. I only mentioned it because I sometimes think people who read these forums automatically think that if you can't make friends then possibly it's because you are so physically unattractvie that no matter how friendly you are, no one is going to hang with you unless you are handing out 100 dollar bills. (I'm joking of course)

You are absolutely correct in mentioning that moving after 50 is an incredibly difficult time in life to move - especailly for women. Unfortunately this move was for my husbands job and I haven't had time to even think about looking for something (part time most likely or volunteer) because this whole house thing is taking up all my time! I've lived in some challenging areas before and I'm certainly not afraid of a fixer upper, but there's a bubble building here and all of my years of buying and selling has taught me that paying during a bubble is not a good idea. We made that (expensive 125K $) mistake before, I'm not looking forward to repeating that one again.

The one thing I do not want to do is hang out with people the same age as my own children's age! Some of the couple's my husband has met through work are men in their 50's dating women in their early 30's. Really? I don't feel comfortable hanging out with women 15-20 years younger than me. I have enough trouble keeping in shape and trying to look younger as it is (hence the botox comment.) Also, our life experiences are so completely different at this time in our lives that I really do not feel like being the mother or grandmother figure to these women. I'm sorry if that sounds disrespectful, but Sunday1 I think you understand what I'm trying to say.

I have looked into Aliso Viejo and it truly is a gem of a place. We are hoping something opens up there that is large enough to fit our needs. We have looked at the homes available within our price range(up to 1.5 m) but we'd end up owning the most expensive house in town so we are starting to look in Nellie Gail (which fits our budget, house size requirements and yard size requirements.) Laugna Hills and Laguna Niguel. I haven't ventured down to Dana Point yet nor San Jaun, but it's on my radar. Out of all the places we have looked, Aliso had the nicest people. I love the vibe there and wish I were younger with kids because it seems to be a wonderful place to raise a family.

We golf also and have golfed a few courses here. Just wish there were more public courses.

@ColdJensens - we are not into religion so although that is usually a fantastic way to meet people it won't work for us (I'm Jewish (although I don't look Jewish) and my husband is not.) and not having school aged children is a bummer because whenever we have moved before it was the easiest way to get involved and meet people.

I'm out again to go look at houses. =( When people say you don't get much for your money here they are serious! On a lighter note, at least it cooled down for 2 days. It's nearly as hot here as it was when I lived in Phoenix!

Last edited by ohboywhatamess; 10-14-2012 at 12:24 PM..

Old 10-14-2012, 11:39 AM

I relate to every word, ohboy.

I'm going to add Dana Point to our list I think. Maybe Laguna Niguel, too. My DH (he will divorce me for putting this on a public forum) HATES snakes. Someone told him that there are a lot of snakes in some of the hills and now I think he wants to live on a houseboat in one of the harbors, haha. (No, seriously).

Golf is probably a great way to meet people. I never played and now have a torn rotator cuff so that's probably not going to be a future pursuit since I've ruled out a surgical repair. Regrets about one, though. My DH loves it and would probably play more if I joined him.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:00 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,278,273 times
Keep in mind that in places like that a lot of people are having kids later in life. Many of the folks you live around may still have smaller ones who take up their time with activities like sports and bday parties. I live in the burbs of Northern VA and it's that way around here. People are just busy doing other stuff. I think I read somewhere that guys over 40 generally only have one good friend. They also aren't getting involved in community affairs and service clubs (Kiwanis, Elks, etc.) the way our parents did. Read "Bowling Alone" for more insight on that.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:18 PM

One of the helpful thing about NoVa (I lived in Fairfax Co for many years) is that so many people are from somewhere else. Metro DC is very migratory -- almost as much so as Anchorage, Alaska (another place I relo'd to). It's easier IME to meet people socially in those areas. Conversely, in New England, where a very high percentage of people in their 50s have lived in the same area their entire lives, it's much more difficult. I'm not sure what "Bowling Alone" is -- but assuming it's a book title, it sounds kinda gloomy. Could be a humorous blog, though, which would be better. Tell me more.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
DH likes the golf link, Pacific2. Thanks. Love what I vaguely remember about Laguna Beach but concerned it's too difficult to get in and out of in the summer and very pricey for anything we'd like. Better to be close by but not "in" LB I'm presuming (besides our price range probably keeps us out, lolz). Also, commute time (vs distance) from Brea area? It won't be every day but often enough that it matters. 45 to 60 minutes is the desired maximum and of course, less is much better!

Apologies to ohboy for hijacking her thread -- but hopefully this "friendly" vibe will cheer her up, and anyone else reading the thread.
I'm glad your husband likes the golf link. It is difficult to get in and out of Laguna Beach during the summer due to tourists. It's also a bit hard during the remainder of the year just because there are a limited number of roads going into the city.

Laguna Beach is also very pricey.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
One of the helpful thing about NoVa (I lived in Fairfax Co for many years) is that so many people are from somewhere else. Metro DC is very migratory --
South County also has a number of people; myself as a Manhattan transplant included, who are from other states, or countries.

I once worked in Washington and this area is not nearly as transient at that, but I see it as a strength in terms of helping one to form and solidify friendships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County