Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:35 AM

815 posts, read 2,703,143 times

Advertisements

After living in the Pacific Northwest and Northern California for a number of years I wonder why Southern Californians are so over-reactionary to even the modest change in weather conditions.
Obviously, many people can't drive well even during drizzly periods but the syndrome goes beyond that. I'm not sure if people even know how to operate their heating systems efficiently. My job takes me into people's homes regularly and it seems well over half of the homes I visit crank the heat up to the point where it feels like a sauna. Very uncomfortable. Even at some retailers like Wal-Mart and Starbucks the heat is blaring and I feel myself breaking a sweat before I even walk out the door. There's a joke around the office that as soon as the temps dip below 70 degrees here, it's time to crank up the heat. I'm really believing it at this point. There is really no reason for healthy people to use the heater unless the temperature becomes unusually frigid; mid 40s or below I'm thinking. Even at that, for Pete's sake, set your thermostat at 65 which will prevent your business or home from feeling stuffy, hot, and downright uncomfortable.
I've never been a big fan of artificial heat sources. It dries me out, gives me a headache and just makes me feel blah. I much prefer to put on another layer to compensate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 08:42 AM

193 posts, read 310,439 times
They don't get out much even though they live where the wearther is the best... That and they are chronic complainers.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:45 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,855,594 times
One reason SoCal has lots of accidents in rain is rain is so infrequent that the layer of motor oils and engine fluids mixed with the first rain in a while creates very slick roads for the first few hours of a new rain.

CHP stats tell all: L.A. motorists can't drive in the rain - latimes.com

I think 65F would be a bit too chilly for me. Comfortable would be 70F or so. At night, maybe 65F or 67F would be OK but not during the day.

By the way, I am already sick of this recent rain. I moved away from Huntsville for this reason. Rain, rain, rain, gloomy, rain, cloudy, dead, rain, almost every day in winter.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:51 AM

193 posts, read 310,439 times
Charls said it... he has a temp range...

When I was there it would br 40 degrees in Saniago canyon and I am wearing a skin suit and riding a time trial, then later in the year riding Newport to Hemit in 106* and make it in 4 hours 20 minutes riding solo....

They are wimpy in the west, I lived with them for 49 years...

Old 11-30-2012, 10:19 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,645,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
One reason SoCal has lots of accidents in rain is rain is so infrequent that the layer of motor oils and engine fluids mixed with the first rain in a while creates very slick roads for the first few hours of a new rain.
Also the growing trend of people using the posted speed limit as the minimum and not maximum speed.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:39 AM

143 posts, read 386,428 times
I moved here specifically and almost solely because I like warm and sunny weather. If liked cool and grey weather, there are much cheaper places I could live. So when the weather is not sunny, of course I'll be unhappy.

This is like playing hip-hop in a piano bar and wondering why the patrons complain. You come to a place for a certain thing, and when you don't get that thing, it's annoying.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:43 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,855,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Also the growing trend of people using the posted speed limit as the minimum and not maximum speed.
Could it have always been that way, everywhere?

Old 11-30-2012, 10:43 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,935,751 times
When our kids were little, my wife put together a group of Moms who would get together at a different park every Thusday.

One day I asked her how it went and she said all 14 moms cancelled due to the weather, so she just went with only our kids. "Weather? it was nice today??" She said they all cancelled becasue it was windy (not Santa Ana winds, just a touch of a breeze). It continues ilke that any cloud in the sky or anyhting short of a perfrect day and everyone woudl cancel. They missed out on a lot of really nices days. Different concepts of a nice day I guess.

I always theorized that becasue it is so dry, when it finally rains, everyone's brain shrinks - at least when they get behind the wheel of a car.

What is more likely is people simply lose driving skills because they encounter adverse conditions so rarely. Yes, it is a little slippery at the beginning of a rainseason, but it is hardly unmanageable. Sadly, so cal drivers as a group as the least skilled I have ever encountered. You do nto get a lot of drivning practice inching forward in bumper to bumper stop and go.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:29 AM

1,499 posts, read 890,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrough View Post
I moved here specifically and almost solely because I like warm and sunny weather. If liked cool and grey weather, there are much cheaper places I could live. So when the weather is not sunny, of course I'll be unhappy.

This is like playing hip-hop in a piano bar and wondering why the patrons complain. You come to a place for a certain thing, and when you don't get that thing, it's annoying.

so you propose we have NO rain or cooler weather?? give me a break..

and be realistic..

Old 11-30-2012, 11:41 AM

143 posts, read 386,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
so you propose we have NO rain or cooler weather?? give me a break..

and be realistic..
Of course not. I'm just saying it's silly to claim to not understand why people who move to a place that has weather as its primary draw complain when the weather is not that way. Don't you think it's likely that a place known for warm weather would have a higher than average proportion of people who hate cold weather? It seems pretty logical to me. This is not rocket science.

"give me a break and be realistic"? You're reacting as if I gave a three page rant on how it's unacceptable for a cloud to ever be in the sky. I'm just making conversation about why people here don't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County