Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 11:19 PM

150 posts, read 281,747 times

Advertisements

So I'm 3 for 4 when getting gas since arriving in Orange County. I always drove a pretty normal car if not beat up car, but finally got a 2009 Mercedes. Now it seems like every time I got to get gas I get asked by someone saying they never ask for money but they are just trying to get home at some place 30 miles away. Driving a nice car, I probably look like I can afford it. I suppose maybe I can, but what do you think about this?

FYI, I helped all three people with about $5. Is this a new California tax?

Old 12-19-2012, 11:21 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvduval View Post
So I'm 3 for 4 when getting gas since arriving in Orange County. I always drove a pretty normal car if not beat up car, but finally got a 2009 Mercedes. Now it seems like every time I got to get gas I get asked by someone saying they never ask for money but they are just trying to get home at some place 30 miles away. Driving a nice car, I probably look like I can afford it. I suppose maybe I can, but what do you think about this?

Which part?

[nothing you have mentioned is unique]

Old 12-19-2012, 11:26 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Sounds like LA crap working its way south. I get gas as Costco and never get hassled.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:44 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
Haven't seen this yet in Orange County, but par for the course in LA.

It also amuses me that they're asking for $5 now -- what happened to a buck or some change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-19-2012, 11:58 PM

150 posts, read 281,747 times
More in Costa Mesa so far.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:27 AM

371 posts, read 637,536 times
This was a pretty common scam in Austin, TX a few years ago. You'd help someone out and then a few days later see them speaking to someone else with the same story. While it's always possible one was telling the truth, chances are greater that they were just trying to get money from you for the sake of getting money.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:46 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:

Beggars rotate near Costco on La Paz & Heather Ridge Rd. in Laguna Niguel. They all look well fed and usually clean. I've seen the same regulars there, including a family of about five, for several years now; and someone is usually there on a any given day. They don't approach you, but they hold up a cardboard sign asking for money.

There are also a few regulars, usually women with babies, who hang out at the parking lot at Mother's Market on Paseo de Valencia. They seem to show up every few months, or so, and are very direct. They'll follow you to your car and ask for cash.

It can be a tough call and you hate suffering, but it's usually better to give to an organized charity. I made an exception to this rule once on a blistering hot day when I saw a guy sitting with his Golden Retriever on a corner near Costco. I gave him a few bucks, bought food and water for him and his dog, circled back and gave it to them.

You never know, but even though poverty seems to have increased in OC, I suspect a begging ring. FWIW, there are schools for beggars. Here's a dated video on the subject:

School for Beggars - YouTube

Last edited by pacific2; 12-20-2012 at 06:07 AM..

Old 12-20-2012, 07:44 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,241 times
Quote:

If you give them money, you're just feeding the problem, as it's typically a scam. If you want to help, there are much better ways to do so.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:17 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
A policeman told me a good work for food person makes as much as $75,000 a year tax free. Sometimes they rent kids or dogs to get more money. Some of them live in decent houses, drive nice cars which they park far away and dress up in rough clothing as a work uniform.

When we first moved to Orange there was a lady with two young children who stood right at the exit from the 22 onto Grand/Glassel. She has a sign that said she needed food for her children. I went home and got a bag. My wife and I put together some canned food, plates and plasticware, a can opener, then we added a little sterno camping stove and a pan to heat the food and a box of matches to light the stove. We included some dried food as well mac and cheese and some of the things we had that keep forever. I took it to her and handed it over. She looked inside and started screaming at me swearing and throwing cans of food at me while demanding money. It was a bit of a shock. After she left, I went back and picked up the stuff, we kind of needed it at that time. She apparently kept the little stove and matches, they were not there.

A month or so later at a communitiy meeting I learned the first paragraph (above) from Orange PD. Now I mostly I just give to good organized charites that know how to help the people really in need.

OPnce in a while if they are doing something, or particularly pleasant I will give htem a dolar or two. There is a guy in LA who opend the door to mcdonalds for everyone as they come in and out. He does nto ask for money, but I think he probably ddoes pretty well. Another lady just puts out abucket and sign near her as she sweems the sidewalk with a raggedy broom. Those "I just need to get to XX people are almost always looknig for money for drugs or booze. However once in a while, if they seem sincere, I might buy them a meal, a train ticket, put some gas in therir car, or simlar. I do nto give them cash.

There was one guy who had a really convincing story about his car breaking down and his kids being in it and needing to get home. He pointed out the car and two kids were sitting inside. Despite some suspicion, I gave him $10. A week ladter he was in the same place and I heard him telling someone a similar story but pointing to a different car with a different kid in it. I confronted him with his BS and he swore at me a stormed off. A minute later, a lady came out of the store, got in the car and drove off. I saw him anohter three or four times. WHenever I could I would tell his customers that he is always there with the same story. I did nto see him there anymore, he must have gone elsewhere.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:04 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,652 times
Quote:

$5 is awfully generous. If a stranger walks up and asks you for money for gas or a bus ticket, it's probably a scam. Like other people said, it's a better idea to give to a reliable, organized charity. Or better yet, volunteer your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County