Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 08:00 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times

Advertisements

It was boring and I couldn't wait to get the heck out when I was your age, but that was to go away to college. Ever considered doing that? I highly recommend it for 18 year olds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 08:34 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
It was boring and I couldn't wait to get the heck out when I was your age, but that was to go away to college. Ever considered doing that? I highly recommend it for 18 year olds.
OP could apply to attend UCI and rent a room in a house in Newport Beach.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:36 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times
I don't think anyone's trying to be specifically rude, but more blunt, in order to stop you from making a bad, potentially life altering decision.

Many of us live here, and understand the amount of money, and along with that, the amount education, family sacrifice, travel, etc, that comes along with living in this part of the country (whether it be Los Angeles, OC, whatever).

You, as a 19 year old, want to move here because of what you saw on a TV show. Now, however glamorous you think that is, you will not simply drop yourself into OC and turn into LC. Sorry - but just not going to happen, unless you have the backing of MTV's finances, producers, writers, a casting agency to find friends for you, etc etc.

If you want a similar life, which many of us have, it can certainly be had in Newport, but it needs to be earned, not given, just by moving here. The questions you should be asking need to involve how to get an education, how to save money, how to invest it, which colleges best suit my career goals - and THEN, after a few years working your butt off, you can make a thread about the best house to buy in NB, having saved $100k living cheaply in Irvine (or wherever).

Now, with that being said, this is a wonderful website, with very knowledgeable people.

If you come here with specific AND realistic questions, we will likely be glad to help. But we can't help decide if OC will be "boring" for you, having never met you, know what you like to do, etc.

To answer your question specifically - YES, i think you would be bored in NB. Not knowing how much money you stand to earn, I think you would likely spend most of your income on rent/living expenses, and have very little to enjoy yourself in this area.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
OP could apply to attend UCI and rent a room in a house in Newport Beach.
I thought that pretty boring at that age. But then again I didn't live out in East McKeesport or wherever the OP is coming from. I think anywhere you didn't grow up can be a pretty exciting place, given enough other young people your age there. There are plenty of those in and around NB. I'm certain she'd find it satisfactory.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 02-19-2013 at 10:08 AM..

Old 02-19-2013, 10:20 AM

12 posts, read 22,294 times
Try State College, PA

There's this place there called Penn State

19 year olds should be going to college. In-state schools represent a better bargain than most schools. Then consider graduate school. Then you can move out to OC on your own dime.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmallchild View Post
Try State College, PA

There's this place there called Penn State

19 year olds should be going to college. In-state schools represent a better bargain than most schools. Then consider graduate school. Then you can move out to OC on your own dime.
Penn State's relatively expensive, even for in-state students. It would probably be cheaper to move to CA, go to a community college like Orange Coast or Saddleback and then establish residency in time to transfer to a UC or CSU campus.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:02 PM

36 posts, read 48,624 times
college isnt for everyone especally not me.Like i mentioned befor im going to communtiy college and while money might be a issue for you its not for me im very fortunate.and if this website is so knowledable why cant people tell me weather its boring to them or not.like jesus everythig else you are bringing up is no concern to me so why would i ask that

Old 02-19-2013, 03:05 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyqueen27 View Post
college isnt for everyone especally not me.Like i mentioned befor im going to communtiy college and while money might be a issue for you its not for me im very fortunate.and if this website is so knowledable why cant people tell me weather its boring to them or not.like jesus everythig else you are bringing up is no concern to me so why would i ask that
An uneducated, unmotivated, child financially dependent on mommy and daddy will quickly become bored anywhere in OC. You'd best move to West Hollywood where you can club all night.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:30 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times
Troll Radar starting to alert.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:34 PM

224 posts, read 495,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyqueen27 View Post
.... and we're done. Moving on. Next?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County