Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 12:24 AM

5 posts, read 9,767 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am seeking advice on where to rent an apartment in Westminster.
Yes, I know there's a large Vietnamese community there, that does not frighten me as I am Vietnamese myself. I have family in San Diego but don't want to pay the high prices there. I've lived in Indy most of my life and would like a change, I miss good ethnic food, Indy is pretty bland when it comes to food. I am looking forward to being part of the ethnic enclave after a lifetime in the midwest.
Is there an area of Westminster I should avoid? I am in my mid 50s, semi retired, working from home part time, not looking for excitement, just safe, affordable, pet friendly, quiet neighborhood close to shopping and public transportation if possible as I don't own a car.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 06:49 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Cinnamon creek apartments. Right. On Bolsa and Brookhurst. Bus stop is close by but you're in walking/bike distance from the big mall between Brookhurst and Magnolia. Lots of shops and restaurants.
Truthfully Westminster is very safe.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:47 PM

Thank you for the advice, I wasn't sure what to believe when I read all the negative things people on this forum have written. Most of what I've read about Westminster on the net focus on food lol, not a whole lot can be found about the neighborhoods.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:45 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
I know Westminster. I've never had any issues. One time someone broke in my truck by jimmying the lock but it was 12 years ago. As far crime someone broke in my neighbors house but that was also about 15 years ago. Too many people form opinions on areas they never even stepped foot in much less actually live in. I never had a issue with anyone. I wish I knew more about the food.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:26 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabe1954 View Post
Hello,
I am seeking advice on where to rent an apartment in Westminster.
Yes, I know there's a large Vietnamese community there, that does not frighten me as I am Vietnamese myself. I have family in San Diego but don't want to pay the high prices there. I've lived in Indy most of my life and would like a change, I miss good ethnic food, Indy is pretty bland when it comes to food. I am looking forward to being part of the ethnic enclave after a lifetime in the midwest.
Is there an area of Westminster I should avoid? I am in my mid 50s, semi retired, working from home part time, not looking for excitement, just safe, affordable, pet friendly, quiet neighborhood close to shopping and public transportation if possible as I don't own a car.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Pretty much anywhere. Supposedly Midway City (separate unincorporated area in the middle of Westminster) has issues but I think most of the people speaking on it don't like it because it is old and not squeaky clean.

The west side toward Bolsa Chica is where you'll find the largest lots and less crowds, plus it is next door to Seal Beach (read: sea breezes most accessible here).

Old 01-15-2014, 11:25 PM

823 posts, read 1,785,316 times
I moved out of Westminster last summer after living there for 7 years. I liked my apt complex, which is near Beach Blvd and Trask Ave, but there was "activity" there. A house next door got broken into. Twice, someone stole something from the nearby Walmart and ran through my apt to escape. Someone else ran through to escape the cops in a hit and run accident. I never felt unsafe while walking in the neighborhood, though.

The best areas in my opinion are the westside, as one person said. It's close to Seal Beach and is like another city . Then there's the area south of the 405 on Goldenwest near the Westminster Mall by Huntington Beach. I love those homes. There's another closer to Fountain Valley, but I don't go that way much.

These are all a bit far from Little Saigon, though. I think that's where you should look. You'll be within walking distance or a bus ride away from all the Vietnamese shops and restaurants. I just don't know that area well, even though I've been through them. Call up the police dept and ask them what areas are troublesome. I know there are pockets of them in Westminster. Oh, those condos near Westminster High School on Goldenwest and Homer Street. Heard the cops get called there a lot. It's not that close to Little Saigon, though.

Just lock your doors and windows. The Vietnamese gangs prey on their own kind.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Too many people form opinions on areas they never even stepped foot in much less actually live in. I never had a issue with anyone. I wish I knew more about the food.

I agree, perhaps it is the fear of the unknown that cause people to have preconceived notions or prejudices. For years the closest I've ever gotten to authentic Vietnamese food is reading about on the internet. I am looking forward to actually sampling the real thing

Old 01-16-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Pretty much anywhere. Supposedly Midway City (separate unincorporated area in the middle of Westminster) has issues but I think most of the people speaking on it don't like it because it is old and not squeaky clean.

The west side toward Bolsa Chica is where you'll find the largest lots and less crowds, plus it is next door to Seal Beach (read: sea breezes most accessible here).

Thank you for the advice. It's reassuring to know I don't have to worry so much about safety, other than common sense. I've recently talked to someone who has actually been in some of these "bad" neighborhoods and he laughed and told me not to worry, they're just full of Asians and Hispanics

Old 01-17-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
I moved out of Westminster last summer after living there for 7 years. I liked my apt complex, which is near Beach Blvd and Trask Ave, but there was "activity" there. A house next door got broken into. Twice, someone stole something from the nearby Walmart and ran through my apt to escape. Someone else ran through to escape the cops in a hit and run accident. I never felt unsafe while walking in the neighborhood, though.

The best areas in my opinion are the westside, as one person said. It's close to Seal Beach and is like another city . Then there's the area south of the 405 on Goldenwest near the Westminster Mall by Huntington Beach. I love those homes. There's another closer to Fountain Valley, but I don't go that way much.

These are all a bit far from Little Saigon, though. I think that's where you should look. You'll be within walking distance or a bus ride away from all the Vietnamese shops and restaurants. I just don't know that area well, even though I've been through them. Call up the police dept and ask them what areas are troublesome. I know there are pockets of them in Westminster. Oh, those condos near Westminster High School on Goldenwest and Homer Street. Heard the cops get called there a lot. It's not that close to Little Saigon, though.

Just lock your doors and windows. The Vietnamese gangs prey on their own kind.

That was the advice my friend gave me also, she calls the police dept before making any decisions on where to live.
I had a similar experience at my apartment complex, a man was running from the police and hid the dumpster. We spent the whole night listening to the helicopters hovering above us, they did finally catch the guy. And like you, I never felt unsafe either, crime was non violent, mostly petty stuff. I figure it was a busy urban area and where there's lots of people things happen
I'll be researching the transit system map as well as the rental listing. Thank you for the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County