Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 07:25 PM

63 posts, read 230,350 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating for my husbands work from Miami, FL to Southern California. My husband will be traveling for work every week, but his main office will be in Santa Ana when he is in town. He mostly works from home, but will likely have to go to the office and the airport once or twice weekly. My husband, 9 and 11 year old daughters, and I, are going to visit California in March to decide which city we are going to live in! Please give me your advise?

Our Priority is an excellent public middle and high school. We are looking for a good safe community to raise our girls in. We want a single family home under $1.5 million with at least 3 bedrooms and 2000 square feet, although 4 bedrooms, a bit of a yard, and 2500 square feet would be better. The areas we are currently considering apparently within our price range and in order of school preference (from what I see online and with no personal experience) are

Palos Verdes Estates- Palos Verdes High School zone,
Newport Beach- Corona del Mar High School zone, and
Laguna Niguel- Aliso Niguel High School zone.

I was also told to consider
Mission Viejo- Trabuco Hills High School zone,
Ladera Ranch- Tesoro High School zone,
Huntington Beach- Edison High School zone,
Dana Point- Dana Hills High School zone, and
San Clemente- San Clemente High School zone.

I have gotten advise, looked at school rankings, and SAT scores and have come up with this list. However, there is no replacement for personal experience. Please share with me about your experience with these areas and schools? While I want an excellent school for my kids I also want balance and quality of life as a family. I need to narrow it down before our trip next month! It is a very important life changing decision for my family. Your input is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 07:27 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Not Palos Verdes Estates.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:32 PM

63 posts, read 230,350 times
Why not David?

Old 02-17-2014, 08:47 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,906 times
Because your commute would be annoying. PV is a bit far from the freeway, then you have to deal with a South 405 commute 2x a week. Not good

Old 02-17-2014, 09:10 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exetermedia View Post
because your commute would be annoying. Pv is a bit far from the freeway, then you have to deal with a south 405 commute 2x a week. Not good
+1

Old 02-17-2014, 09:49 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,994 times
The only place in Newport that has homes meeting your requirements is in the upper newport bay, east of Jamboree in the Newport North Villas. They are nice homes with pretty good square footage and great layouts. However, the inventory is pretty low (I see 3 active listings) so you wouldn't have much to choose from. The other areas may offer a bit more home/land for your money. In addition to Laguna Niguel, I'd also recommend Aliso Viejo...

I can give you some personal insight on Aliso Niguel as a former student -- though things have probably changed a bit since I graduated in the late 90s. I thought it offered a good amount of balance of arts, academics, technology/media and even some life skills classes. There was also a strong emphasis on physical education and fitness that I wasn't too fond of at the time, but can see its value in retrospect. Two of my best friends at Aliso scored very high on their SATs and would later go on to Ivy League schools.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:52 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
PV - I commuted from South Redondo to Costa Mesa for a couple of years, at least it is against traffic. Traffic was only a couple of miles at about Beach Blvd for a couple of miles then mysteriously pics up again. The 22 E isn't bad at all.

PV would add a few minutes more because at some point you'd have to travel north with traffic to the 405 or just take PCH all the way to the 22 , a route which I never tried.

Don't buy in PV until you also drive to the house at night there. PV also has microclimate with some area , below, in the middle, and above the fog.

PV does have decent access to LAX and Long Beach air port. 30 minutes with no traffic.

Have you looked up Parras middle school in South Redondo?

Last edited by thelopez2; 02-17-2014 at 10:01 PM..

Old 02-18-2014, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,545 times
I can recommend Dana Point. Homes within your budget, easy access to the freeway, nice neighborhoods and schools. Great weather, even compared to a couple miles inland. However, that's predicated on your tolerance of the commute. Day in, day out drives north of the 'Y' could be soul sucking and make you want to invest in a toll road pass quickly if he works on the west side of Santa Ana.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:38 AM

224 posts, read 495,475 times
Ladera Ranch

Old 02-20-2014, 11:02 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,906 times
Honestly with that budget I would cross Newport/CDM, PV, and Dana Point off your list. You aren't going to have many options for a 4 bedroom house and 2,500 sqft.

Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, Laguna Niguel, I think you would get much more bang for your bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County