Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 01:21 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times

Advertisements

You can find condos near the beach for about $250K. But these are on leased land (and most of these leases are terminating out in 30-40 years. Good luck getting a mortgage on these.

Irvine is pretty, but sterile and expensive.
Newport Beach, Dana Point and Laguna Beach are pricier areas.

75,000 - 80,000 is decent, but you wont have a lot left over to do fun things.
Average Town home/Condo rentals in decent areas will set you back around $1900 - $2500.

A two bedroom home rental will set you back between 2500 and 3200.

Decent, More affordable areas that are relatively easy commutes to Irvine include: Tustin, Lake Forest, Fullerton, the east side of Costa Mesa, Fountain Valley, Huntington Beach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 02:00 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,057 times
The OP is pretty set on Irvine, as she mentioned that her husband has been obsessed on it for a while now. I'm not sure how much suggesting other cities for her to consider will really help them, when that's where they want to live anyways. If anyone is well versed in the differences between neighborhoods in Irvine, that would probably be more helpful for the OP.

To me all the neighborhoods mesh into one, and I don't see much difference besides that some just get more expensive, with bigger McMansions. Then again, most of my experience with Irvine is centered around UCI, and the areas touching Newport Beach and Tustin.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:05 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
The OP is pretty set on Irvine, as she mentioned that her husband has been obsessed on it for a while now. I'm not sure how much suggesting other cities for her to consider will really help them, when that's where they want to live anyways. If anyone is well versed in the differences between neighborhoods in Irvine, that would probably be more helpful for the OP.

To me all the neighborhoods mesh into one, and I don't see much difference besides that some just get more expensive, with bigger McMansions. Then again, most of my experience with Irvine is centered around UCI, and the areas touching Newport Beach and Tustin.

He's not dead set on Irvine we just aren't not familiar with the neighborhoods or areas around it, but reading the post above yours has given my husband other towns to search lol. Honestly the rents also mentioned above are exactly the same where I live for the houses and about 200-300 more a month for Apts/condos.. As I said not much difference at all. I live in a retirement community that has more millionaires per capita than anywhere in the world..18% of the population about.. thats a huge amount so really these numbers aren't THAT shocking. The fact that Irvine seems "sterile and boring" means nothing to me when I live in a place where the median age is 65 and the closest city of any kind is 2 hours away minimum. At least California has variety I'll give it that.
My brother lives in downtown LA and THOSE prices are shocking to me

Old 06-16-2014, 05:24 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
If youy want to live in a 55+ Community, Check out Laguna Woods

Old 06-16-2014, 06:24 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Didn't realize that was an issue.. People not from
California usually refer to it as Cali.. Btw
It's not an issue at all. Lived here almost my entire life and have only read complaints about that term on internet boards. Never in person. You'll need to work too to survive if you want to move here on that income. Lol or make your children work.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:32 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
You can move into a small and older condo in Irvine. Try Real Estate, Homes for Sale, MLS Listings, Agents | Redfin.

I arbitrarily set the upper limit at $450K and got the following Irvine listings:

Real Estate Search | Redfin

Old 06-17-2014, 12:06 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
If youy want to live in a 55+ Community, Check out Laguna Woods
We definetly wouldn't! We're 31, we currently live in a town like that and its not fun.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:08 PM

100 posts, read 128,636 times
Many consider Irvine a souless place for tight (you know what's) like in The Stepford Wives. Me, I'm not quite so critical. It is one of the safest towns around, has great services, (Police, Fire, Medical), a major University, excellent schools, and the real estate is as good an investment as real estate gets here.

Are there differences in the Villages? Yeah, I guess if you are a long time resident of Irvine you can distinguish nuances between Northwoods and Quail Creek but for someone coming from FLA it'll all be the same. The newest may not be the nicest and I think the Woodbridge Homes cost the most but people from Turtle Rock mostly think THEY are the bomb. Beware of living near apartments that are official or de facto student housing or one that has a lot of Section 8 housing (a realtor can point these out to you).

Bad news? Some of the HOA's are crazy. You can be fined for letting the kids play ping pong with the garage door open or holiday decorating in a manner others dislike. People pay big money for this. In many communities the housing is so bland that newcomers forget which house (and street) is theirs. (You see them driving up and back clicking on their garage door openers waiting for one to open.) Many think this is really great. If your realtor doesn't say anything about the HOA expect bad news.

Good news? Quiet, calm, conservative. Not for those looking for a lot of nightlife or partying. Not a destination type city unless one is going home to go to bed. Many choices for dining, especially in the fast and semi-fast categories. Many choices for day to day shopping needs and plenty of both luxury and budget choices are a couple of off ramps away. I hesitate to mention it, but there is a large community of Asians in Irvine, drawn largely to the peace and quiet and fine school district. I have always found them to great neighbors (and actually perfect for those who find Irvine appealing) but there are those who are weird about it.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:29 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
I don't live in Irvine. However, I don't think the closed garage door requirement is crazy, not at all. There are some of us who do not appreciate seeing junk and goings-on in garages.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:42 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,547,538 times
"Cali" is how people in the ghettos in other cities refer to California when they dream of coming here and being rich "players" or pimp daddies.

Cali is also a city in Colombia.

So, if you're not referring to the city in Colombia and you don't belong to the lowest echelon of society, you don't refer to California that way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County