Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 07:53 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times

Advertisements

Starting to research a potential move out west so I have some questions for you helpful Californians.

We are a couple in our late 30's living in NY. We are definitely used to 'expensive living' so financially that will not be a problem for us as we know CA isn't cheap.

My in-laws are down in SD. While SD is nice, there is no work for me there. All the work for me is in LA and even more of it is in NYC. My husband should be able to get a job anywhere in CA, I can only work in LA. I am also unsure what my company will do with offices - if we are planning to go back to offices, then I need to commute to LA but if we aren't and are planning to stay remote then it doesn't matter so much.

We spent an entire summer working remotely 2 years ago and ventured all over LA to scope it out for this move. We were not thrilled with it at all. Hollywood is run-down and gritty but even the outskirts we were not a fan of. Even places like Santa Monica, were just eh.

My husband suggested OC b/c of what we have heard it sounds 'nicer'. We have only been to Anaheim for the park, but haven't been inside it too much otherwise. We have driven through it on the 5 but it's hard to tell what a place is like just driving through it.

We would want to live ideally somewhere that is 'green' ... by the coast I guess? Not looking for a desert community (think, El Cajon, Inland Empire - we don't want that) ... but is there anywhere thats a commutable distance to LA and do you guys have public transportation? We have cars but if I could commute to LA via train, that would be ideal.

As far as schools, we may or may not need them. We have a son, he is 17 and in his last year of HS. He is teetering on the cusp of not graduating so he may or may not have to repeat 12th grade. I also don't know how soon we will be making this move. We may have him finish up college in NY and then make the move so we don't know if we'll need schools ... it's not too important the quality, most important would be bussing if we need to send him to school ... he doesn't drive yet and can't until his grades improve.

We like hiking and the beach. I like to run so ideally somewhere not too hilly, somewhere with a local park would be great. I think that's it, we're not too picky.

Anyone know a good spot to check out? We'll be back in CA in July to do more scoping. Thanks!

Edit: I realize LA is big. My current LA office is in 90066.

Last edited by Jdawg8181; 03-11-2021 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 08:56 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
You aren't going to find somewhere that is 'green' by the coast. The coast is expensive and expensive means dense.

It sounds like your office is north of LAX, near the Playa Vista area? If that is the case, I'd be looking in Palos Verdes and Rolling Hills.

But of course everything depends on your budget. That is the place to start.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:58 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
It depends on the part of LA where your work will be. If it is near a metro station then you can use metrolink to get there from OC. The OC line is super nice and peaceful for working in the morning. It is above ground the entire route so you can use your phone hotspot for internet to get work done. Before you transfer to a metro train though, put your valuables away.

It's probably not too different from the subways in NYC. Metrolink is the commuter rail and Metro is the urban train system.

I would not want to drive into LA everyday, especially if you can't carpool. My trip from Anaheim to MacArthur Park (just west of downtown LA) was anywhere from 1-2 hours each way by car and about an hour by train.

If you want a good flat park, Mile Square park in Fountain Valley cannot be beat. If you want free parking, access it from the westside, put "Fountain Valley Sports Complex" into your maps app. Those lots are always free to park and they have a ton of spots. The trail around the park perimeter is a solid 4 miles (as the name implies), with many peaceful shady trails inside the park to venture off.

Irvine has a great trail system as well. It connects to the UC Irvine campus which is very beautiful for walking.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
You aren't going to find somewhere that is 'green' by the coast. The coast is expensive and expensive means dense.

It sounds like your office is north of LAX, near the Playa Vista area? If that is the case, I'd be looking in Palos Verdes and Rolling Hills.

But of course everything depends on your budget. That is the place to start.
We live in an expensive & dense area as it is, not too concerned about costs really ... but we don't want to be a desert area. Do you know El Cajon? (I know that is SD, not OC, but that is an area I know). We don't want anything like that. Def want grass and backyard, flowers, all of that.

Where are the 'green' areas? lol

I think at the most budget-wise maybe like $700k, $800k. What does that get us?

Old 03-11-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
It depends on the part of LA where your work will be. If it is near a metro station then you can use metrolink to get there from OC. The OC line is super nice and peaceful for working in the morning. It is above ground the entire route so you can use your phone hotspot for internet to get work done. Before you transfer to a metro train though, put your valuables away.

It's probably not too different from the subways in NYC. Metrolink is the commuter rail and Metro is the urban train system.

I would not want to drive into LA everyday, especially if you can't carpool. My trip from Anaheim to MacArthur Park (just west of downtown LA) was anywhere from 1-2 hours each way by car and about an hour by train.

If you want a good flat park, Mile Square park in Fountain Valley cannot be beat. If you want free parking, access it from the westside, put "Fountain Valley Sports Complex" into your maps app. Those lots are always free to park and they have a ton of spots. The trail around the park perimeter is a solid 4 miles (as the name implies), with many peaceful shady trails inside the park to venture off.

Irvine has a great trail system as well. It connects to the UC Irvine campus which is very beautiful for walking.
My co's current office is in 90066. The mailing address is Los Angeles but IDK where exactly it is, like what section of LA. I am unsure if I will stay @ this company forever either so I want to be near like other options to work. There are other co's I am interested in on Wilshire.

Does the train go near 90066? How long is commute?

Put your valuables away ... does that mean it's not safe?

Old 03-11-2021, 09:27 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
I can't help you with the commute questions...I've never done that and commuting from anywhere in OC to 90066--which is just the other side of LAX--sounds grim no matter what form of transportation you use. I did look at Google maps and to take the train from Huntington Beach or Fullerton (both on the northern side of OC) is between two and three hours one way and requires multiple changes.

I would be looking closer to where you would be working. But as to your "green places" question, nowhere in OC is desert. If you buy or rent a property with a yard, plant some plants, and keep them watered, they will be green all year round. I dare say more green for longer than where you currently live. But it will take some effort on someone's part.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:32 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
We live in an expensive & dense area as it is, not too concerned about costs really ... but we don't want to be a desert area. Do you know El Cajon? (I know that is SD, not OC, but that is an area I know). We don't want anything like that. Def want grass and backyard, flowers, all of that.

Where are the 'green' areas? lol

I think at the most budget-wise maybe like $700k, $800k. What does that get us?

This is your problem except maybe a condo and then an added HOA. Use ZILLOW.com or REALTOR.COM and check the areas that are very close to LA

Old 03-11-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
This is your problem except maybe a condo and then an added HOA. Use ZILLOW.com or REALTOR.COM and check the areas that are very close to LA
Wow so no houses @ that price?

Are there any in LA? Don't like really like LA but we don't want a condo.

Could do LA maybe like as far away from Hollywood as possible, lol.

Is it mostly SD that is the desert?

Old 03-11-2021, 10:06 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
The coastal areas of SoCal are Mediterranean or semiarid. The desert is inland on the other side of the coastal mountain ranges. This map may help. The red areas are actual desert; this does include the eastern half of San Diego County.

You may be mistaking the natural brownness of the dry season (since you said you have only been here in summer, which is the dry season) for desert. In the Med and semiarid places, plant things and water them and you will have a green spot. You simply cannot expect the natural SoCal landscape to be green and lush in the dry season, not anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Is there anywhere in OC within a 'commutable' distance to LA?-800px-california_k-ppen.svg-2-.png  

Last edited by saibot; 03-11-2021 at 11:29 AM..

Old 03-11-2021, 11:28 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Wow so no houses @ that price?

Are there any in LA? Don't like really like LA but we don't want a condo.

Could do LA maybe like as far away from Hollywood as possible, lol.

There are houses in that range, both in LA and OC and some in nice areas. the problem is the commute to LA where you would work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County