Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 05:51 AM

521 posts, read 735,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blam View Post
God I hope you are right but hope is the mother of fools. Knowing my luck by the time I get the downpayment a shack in lake forest will go for 1 million.
That is the thinking that got me in trouble when I first bought in Irvine at 24. There was so much hype and everyone seemed to be buying so I was afraid to be priced out if I waited so I bought. That was in 2005. Still recovering from that one. Anyway, just wait until you have enough saved and are comfortable. You will find the right property at the right price but patience is key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 05:43 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,814,573 times
Buy a house and lock in a payment you are happy with, even if it less than 20% down. Buying a condo short term is a bad idea. Even if the home prices drop, you can't expect the monthly cost to drop significantly.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:53 PM

30 posts, read 41,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgali View Post
That is the thinking that got me in trouble when I first bought in Irvine at 24. There was so much hype and everyone seemed to be buying so I was afraid to be priced out if I waited so I bought. That was in 2005. Still recovering from that one. Anyway, just wait until you have enough saved and are comfortable. You will find the right property at the right price but patience is key.
Good advice from above.

I'm in the same shoe's as you (OP), and saving till I get 20% or market settles a bit. I'm in NO RUSH simply b/c it doesn't make too much sense financially right now to buy. Plus, prices have been inflated by foreign buyers, investors/flippers and NOT first time home buyers so be patient, it will correct itself. IF for some crazy reason it doesn't, i'll take all the money I save and buy a house outright somewhere other than in California.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:00 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,232,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blam View Post
Now knowing all that would you keep saving just a little bit more and put down 20% on a 200-250k 1 bedroom apartment and upgrade in the future? Or would you instead keep saving longer to get 20% down for a house right away? Or maybe you would try to put down less to buy the house sooner? Or something else? What is the smartest thing to do financially in my situation?
just keep in mind that if you buy the 1br condo that you'll probably need to live in that unit for years to come. you need to ask yourselves if the two of you will be comfortable living a 1br unit for that long. also keep in mind that if you start out with a 'starter' place, it may cost more than a comparable unit to rent with taxes, insurance, HOAs, etc... If you plan on moving on up, saving for a more permanent location may be more difficult. Additionally, if the housing market goes flat you won't build any equity, so you may not even have much cash for a more permanent home. you may get lucky though and turn out just fine. my wife and i bought our home in 2011 and it felt like we were the only ones looking at houses in our neighborhood. i expected my home's value to to stay flat for at least five years. fast forward two years and we were up over 10%. fast forward to the present and we're up nearly 25% based on recently sold comps. you seem like a smart person, so bottom line, do what you feel is best for you.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:54 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,548,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocGuy714 View Post
Good advice from above.

I'm in the same shoe's as you (OP), and saving till I get 20% or market settles a bit. I'm in NO RUSH simply b/c it doesn't make too much sense financially right now to buy. Plus, prices have been inflated by foreign buyers, investors/flippers and NOT first time home buyers so be patient, it will correct itself. IF for some crazy reason it doesn't, i'll take all the money I save and buy a house outright somewhere other than in California.
This. The Chinese are already slowing down buying in this area, so are the hedge fund groups looking to flip houses. Once that totally dries up later this year, housing market will drop again big time.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:11 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,179,435 times
I think it's area specific regarding whether they are slowing down. Chinese investors seem to have very much discovered my 'hood and seem to still like it...right now. It's nothing to be excited about even though it inflates property prices. They rent the houses out. I dislike the idea of having investor owned homes here not far away from where I live.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:51 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,179,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocGuy714 View Post
Good advice from above.

You are in an enviable position. While you wait for the right time and presumably save furiously, you should thoroughly familiarize yourself with the specific area(s) that you are interested in. That's a luxury most of us who were part of the market craziness didn't have when there were, at the time, 10-30 cash buyers for those very few homes on the market. You can and should take advantage of this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County