Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 02:28 PM

991 posts, read 1,769,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
no, these cities are "adjacent" to each other
Yeah but adjacent doesn't mean it's a quick commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 11:57 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,809 times
no such thing as quick commute in OC unless you live and work in the same city in North OC

Old 04-03-2015, 12:47 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Costa Mesa is next to Newport so should not be a bad commute.

But Costa Mesa is nothing like Newport, and not that nice overall. Keep this in mind. It isn't a slum or anything, but the more affordable parts have higher crime and bad schools. The cheapo apartment complexes will be a bit rundown and most people will be poorer Mexicans.

I have lived in both NYC and OC and love both places, but they are TOTALLY different. Just remember that. You will have a completely different lifestyle. I lived in Manhattan and Brooklyn, then in Corona del Mar (part of Newport Beach) and whew, are these places polar opposites.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:04 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
Kind of hard to tell where the East Side of Costa Mesa and the West Side of Newport Beach begins and ends.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:01 PM

6 posts, read 4,890 times
Default need help as well

hi just wanted to jump on this as well...
Thinking about relocation from NY as well to OC, but have no clue about neighborhoods/areas. Currently in the midst of interviewing in Cypress, Ca so would like to be not to far commute wise under 30 min.
My husband and I are both in our early 30's (no kids yet), would like to be near a beach but that might be a little pricey...just looking for nice, safe place with somewhat of entertainment around (ie restaurants, shops, bars).
Any insight would be helpful ! ..
Ive only visited OC once stayed in Costa Mesa and Anahiem .. visited Newport (Corona Del Mar) loved the area ..however it would a little bit of a drive to Cypress.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:29 PM

44 posts, read 76,258 times
North County (Cypress) - nice location. I would try a short-term lease as close to work as possible even if that means venturing even further North to Fullerton or Eastward towards Long Beach (LA County).

The drive is what it is - Interstate 5 to LA proper, 405 to LAX (N) and SNA (S).

When you come back for a visit, give Mobtown Pizza in Aliso Viejo a try if you get homesick for NY style pizza. Right by a movie theater too in Aliso Viejo's Town Center.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:53 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
My wife works in Cypress, and we live near the harbor Huntington Beach. her morning commute takes about 15 minutes, evening commute is about 1/2 hour. That's pretty good by Southern California standards

While we don't have a real village-type environment where we live, there are plenty recreational amenities, along with decent bars and restaurants within walking distance.

Plus we can walk to the beach

(and we have two very good pizza shops in HB... Trust me. I'm also from NY)

Old 04-10-2015, 06:32 PM

44 posts, read 76,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
My wife works in Cypress, and we live near the harbor Huntington Beach. her morning commute takes about 15 minutes, evening commute is about 1/2 hour. That's pretty good by Southern California standards

While we don't have a real village-type environment where we live, there are plenty recreational amenities, along with decent bars and restaurants within walking distance.

Plus we can walk to the beach

(and we have two very good pizza shops in HB... Trust me. I'm also from NY)
Curious to know if you would be in the same area on a single income with/without roommates since OP is single.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:03 PM

Thanks everyone!

Old 04-11-2015, 04:26 PM

DinsdalePirahna- thanks we have been actually researching Huntington Beach and Long Beach as possible areas to live. Any insight on neighborhoods withing Hunting Beach? I know there's a ton of rental complexes...any thoughts on which ones to go for ? I'll be in orange county next week and would love to go out and take a look at some place to see realistically what is possible.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County