Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 08:51 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times

Advertisements

I might be relocating out to Orange County. I have heard the prices of housing are really out of this world. But what about renting?

How much is a townhouse or a small ranch to rent, say 2 or 3 bedrooms and 2 baths?

I pay 900 a month in Indiana. I know it's gonna be more out there.
But if anyone has some figures, it would help.

I don't need to live in the most expensive neighborhood, but something SAFE, SANE, and good schools.

Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 09:29 AM

110 posts, read 440,174 times
We have found N. OC will run you about $1800-2200 and south OC will be $2100...and it only goes up from there. That low end will not get you anything special. 2-3 BR, 1.5-2.5 BR and about 1100-1500 sq. ft. We pay $2150 (Plus utilities) for 1200 sq. ft. town home in Irvine. But, we are thinking about moving to Fullerton in a few months. I've seen single family homes and larger town homes in the Fullerton/Buena park area for around $2100 (plus utilities).

Good luck making that housing leap. Coming from Boston I still think it's expensive for what you get.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang75 View Post
We have found N. OC will run you about $1800-2200 and south OC will be $2100...and it only goes up from there. That low end will not get you anything special. 2-3 BR, 1.5-2.5 BR and about 1100-1500 sq. ft. We pay $2150 (Plus utilities) for 1200 sq. ft. town home in Irvine. But, we are thinking about moving to Fullerton in a few months. I've seen single family homes and larger town homes in the Fullerton/Buena park area for around $2100 (plus utilities).

Good luck making that housing leap. Coming from Boston I still think it's expensive for what you get.

I agree from what I have looked at online. I think they take the room pictures with some kind of wide angle lens...
The problem with where I live is...no jobs. I want to move where there are jobs in my field and also outside of my field. It is so cutthroat here in the midwest. They interview about 30 people for a part time temp job and then never tell you if it's been filled, so you won't go away...then if they don't like person A, then can let him/her go and get person B.
I can't take it anymore here.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:56 PM

242 posts, read 827,414 times
Try these web sites :
remax.com
ziprealty.com
prudentialoc.com
homes.com

They can give you and idea of housing costs!

Old 01-30-2008, 05:13 AM

I know I will get sticker shock, since it's so cheap in Indiana. But no jobs...it's not really cheaper to live somewhere with no jobs. They don't need you, and when you do find a job, they have 10 people behind you in line and "oops, you made a mistake, next?" and you're gone. Hire Fire.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:15 AM

I want apartment or to rent a townhome or condo. Not buy. Nope. If I lose the job right away, forget it.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:13 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,931,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I know I will get sticker shock, since it's so cheap in Indiana. But no jobs...it's not really cheaper to live somewhere with no jobs. They don't need you, and when you do find a job, they have 10 people behind you in line and "oops, you made a mistake, next?" and you're gone. Hire Fire.
I just moved from Orange County and the jobs are not so abundant as you think. I have friends, software engineers, project managers, etc.. that have either left the field or working for far less that they were during the tech days. Be carefull about moving to another state without a job. I know the pain, that is what I did. Luckily we brought a lot of equity with us for CA and the cost of living without a mortgage payment is much lower.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:26 PM

395 posts, read 1,717,246 times
Soccer' is right, Moving w/o a job lined up in a high living expense area is rather risky. But, then, there are always entry level jobs available. It is how much you want to sacrifice. Skill is rather important. You can work down w/a degree. It is nearly impossible to work up w/o.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:11 AM

First, I do have a profession and am college educated.
Second, I don't have a mortgage, nor would I be looking to buy a home. I don't get the obsession with home-buying. It seems like a horrible noose around one's neck.
There is no "we"....if you guys can't make it with two incomes, that's pretty bad. I have been making it on one income MINE, and it hasn't been easy, but everyone I see with a two income family has been doing far better than me.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,533 times
I lived in several areas from Ventura County, Santa Clarita, San Fernando Valley and now OC. I have been in the housing industry for over 21 years. I find that the rent is the same across the board. Example: If you called 50 apartments in the better parts of the San Fernando Valley to the OC for a "one bedroom" you will get fairly the same quote. If you called 50 apartments in the less desireable parts of the two I mentioned the rent would be less. You get what you pay for. Right now (because of the market) you can get better housing value for your dollar by renting private homes, condo etc. Be aware not to rent from a owner that thier home is in foreclouser because you can be locked out with no warning from the owner or bank. The owner will have pocketed your rent and leave you out on the yard. You can also go on line and get great housing information at forrent.com apartmentguide.com apartmentfinder.com. craigslist.com These resources should be a value to you. You may also want to seek a temporary agency. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County