Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 09:30 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,136,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
As far as outdoor activities such as hiking OC is mediocre at best. We simply don't have the nature trails other states do. What we do have are heavily used by lots of people. So someone coming from a state with lots of natural outdoor activities such as hiking would see our area as lacking. Btw I did all some of those trails. I used to go to O'neall park out in Santiago Canyon area a lot. But even that is over run with people now.
When I go now I go to Nor Cal or up in the Sierras. I don't bother with local trails anymore
I do not agree. If someone cares to look it up, I have written about this topic. But since I do not work for the local tourism board and many people in OC already know what we have to offer, I will cynically agree, yes, OC has crap hiking. The truth is OC has hidden gems all over, including at the beach and locals will not tell you since we have enough people here. I don't want any more people here so I am not telling either. So ok, here is the party line: OC sucks and it is boring and everyone is inbred. It's best to find another place.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 04-25-2016 at 09:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 08:47 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Oh, really? I ride my mountain bike there twice a week, and have for about the past eight years, so I feel qualified to make a judgment about this. There are often quite a few people camping on the mesa and strolling along the paved road, yes. As soon as I get onto a dirt trail, on weekdays I might see anywhere from four or five other bikers/walkers during my entire ride, down to none. If the weather is "nice" (sunny but not too hot) there are more people on the weekend, but it's hardly overrun. You make it sound like Disneyland. That is such a gross exaggeration.

I LOVE O'Neill Park and feel very lucky to live so close that I can bike in. The scenery is gorgeous, with paths through groves of live oak, and sage covered hills. On clear days (and not saying OC doesn't have plenty of days that are not so clear) you can see straight out to Catalina. There are tons of wildflowers at this time of the year. I've seen lots of deer, coyotes, roadrunners, quail, a fox one time, tarantulas, and five kinds of snake (king snake, ringneck, gopher snake, and a couple of different rattlesnakes).

Can OC compare to the Sierras for hiking, of course not. VERY FEW places can compare to the Sierras. That doesn't make the hiking bad or non-existent.

For what it's worth, I've hiked around Mount Rainier and found it slightly disappointing because the trails were either still covered with snow (in July), or so completely socked in by trees that there were no views.
I didn't say hiking was nonexistent. Just don't make it out to be this zen like experience.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:50 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I didn't say hiking was nonexistent. Just don't make it out to be this zen like experience.
It is what you make of it.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:52 PM

347 posts, read 666,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
It is what you make of it.
Not really.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Planner View Post
Not really.
Well, your attitude can affect how you can see things. Not that you're going to turn the Santa Ana Mountains into the Sierras by thinking a certain way, but you can more readily appreciate what you have when you stop complaining about it or comparing it to other things to its detriment.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:59 PM

I would recommend the hiking here for sure. Certainly better than Disneyland.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:30 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,296,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningforthehillz View Post
It's hard finding non-generic restaurants/bars anywhere in Irvine.
I do not like Irvine but they have no shortage of interesting restaurants.

Sam Woo Irvine - Chinese Seafood

Thai Bamboo Bistro

Caspian restaurant

http://urban-seoul.com/wp-content/up...ban-Seoul-Menu

Old 04-26-2016, 10:59 AM

451 posts, read 1,323,848 times
In terms of non-generic restaurants in OC- as for me I go to ethnic restaurants (which I realize it is not everybody's cup of tea). If you want the urban vibe- you won't get much in OC- as OC is very suburban- you will have to go to LA or San Diego (the city). There are some downtown areas in OC like the ones already mentioned- Downtown Santa Ana, Downtown Fullerton, Old Towne Orange, but they are quite limited.

There are some moderate hikes like Crystal Cove-El Morro, Whiting Ranch, Aliso Woods, etc. However, if you want mountain hiking you will have to do it along the Santa Ana Mountains or go outside of Orange County and go to LA (like hikes in the Angeles National Forest) or San Bernardino County.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:10 AM

347 posts, read 666,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
I would recommend the hiking here for sure. Certainly better than Disneyland.
Hiking is great here, don't get me wrong. It's just not the best, but that's something everyone has different opinions on.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:34 AM

92 posts, read 134,210 times
Whether it is scenically ranked as best on objective scale does not have to be relative to enjoyment. I have enjoyed nature in the western US for years. Some of the most stunning amazing moments were in places which many people would consider mediocre-but I was there at the right time.

Enjoyment of nature is tied to the time of day, the weather, the season, how much it has rained recently. A landscape which looks beautiful in early morning or late afternoon sun can look bland and flat in direct overhead summer mid day sun. Smells of recent rain, clouds, running water, grass and flowers are all part of it. Chaparral this time of the year can have very sweet smell. A very big part of it is frame of mind-open to the area or merely do some quick ranking and be done with it.

Santiago Peak would be tallest mountain in 34 states and the area has four or five distinct life zones. How many states have a Crystal Cove?

Look at the time nature photographers take their pictures. This may give a hint to get more intense experience from outdoor enjoyment. Another way is to show genuine open minded interest in an area and maybe you'll get some nice tips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County