Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2017, 05:17 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Home ownership is out of sight for many in Southern CA, the home prices are ridiculous. But you make it sound like once you leave CA it's easy street all the way. Any idea what some people pay in other states(like Texas) in property taxes?
But no State income tax and the actual amount in property taxes is less than what is typically paid in CA, due to the huge difference in housing costs.

When I moved from TX back to CA, my taxes on a 3.5 acre piece of property with a nice 3bdrm 2bath 2 car garage home with a 2000 sq ft barn and 5 minutes from the city and with a 25000 gallon pool and several nice out buildings, were the same I paid on my new home in CA on a 7000 sq ft lot. Oh and I paid ZERO State income taxes in TX and paid a LOT in CA for the same income (6 figure).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 08:45 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Ok. Where? Because I know a lot of people who moved to other states and make nowhere near what they made here
I know people living in Denver, Minneapolis, Chicago, Portland and Austin making exactly what they did in SoCal. I never took a cut coming to Denver and 10 years after moving away from SoCal I make around the same still. However, I own a 2400sq ft house with character and a huge yard in Denver proper for 478k and good public schools to boot.

Looking back on my move out of OC, I was scared, but it was actually one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:58 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I know people living in Denver, Minneapolis, Chicago, Portland and Austin making exactly what they did in SoCal. I never took a cut coming to Denver and 10 years after moving away from SoCal I make around the same still. However, I own a 2400sq ft house with character and a huge yard in Denver proper for 478k and good public schools to boot.

Looking back on my move out of OC, I was scared, but it was actually one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:26 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Quote:

I know someone who moved to Portland. He's making more there then here doing the same thing and just bought a craftsman house there.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:24 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I know someone who moved to Portland. He's making more there then here doing the same thing and just bought a craftsman house there.
I submit where you live is where you find a good paying job. its not about taxes

Old 10-30-2017, 05:23 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
I submit where you live is where you find a good paying job. its not about taxes
To be fair, Finper was talking about Tucson as a place to retire too (not now, but in the future). There are many considerations that go into the equation and obviously these don't apply very much to young millennials.

As far as millennials are concerned, per the LAtimes article, they are moving to the I.E.:
A new generation of young home buyers is tiptoeing into the market
A new generation of young home buyers is tiptoeing into the market - LA Times

Newly married and in their mid-20s, San Clemente residents Josh and Kayleigh Hyink were ready for the next step in their “master plan.”

So the couple ditched their $1,644 one-bedroom apartment in Orange County and this spring purchased a new $430,000 house in the Riverside County city of Murrieta, becoming homeowners for the first time.

Even though the move meant that Josh’s commute to his Huntington Beach job ballooned to 75 miles, the couple said it was worth it to get a large house — something they couldn’t afford closer in. The median home price in Riverside County was $365,000 in July, compared with $690,000 in Orange County, according to CoreLogic.

“We wanted to get out of renting,” Josh said. “We wanted to move toward starting a family.”

Given the high cost of housing in urban and coastal areas, many are choosing a single-family house inland.

The Hyinks said that near the coast they couldn’t afford the large house they wanted for their dog and future children. In Murrieta, they have a brand-new, three-bedroom house with a three-car garage. As an added plus, they are near Temecula, where they both grew up.

It was cool out there for a while,” Kayleigh, a 26-year-old teacher, said of Orange County. “But we’d never have a yard.”

Old 10-30-2017, 08:35 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:

So 10 years later you make the same money now as you did then? what are the house prices and wages NOW? AFAIK Denver has gotten very expensive and crowded.

To counter your point I have friends who moved to Texas and got paid less. Yes they bought a house for 250k and are paying the same amount of property taxes that I'm paying on a 500,000k house

75% of my current rentals are occupied by people coming out of state to relocate here. The average difference between the former wages to Ca wages were about 30% with one guy winning at 50%

Old 10-30-2017, 08:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
To be fair, Finper was talking about Tucson as a place to retire too (not now, but in the future). There are many considerations that go into the equation and obviously these don't apply very much to young millennials.

As far as millennials are concerned, per the LAtimes article, they are moving to the I.E.:
A new generation of young home buyers is tiptoeing into the market
A new generation of young home buyers is tiptoeing into the market - LA Times

Newly married and in their mid-20s, San Clemente residents Josh and Kayleigh Hyink were ready for the next step in their “master plan.”

So the couple ditched their $1,644 one-bedroom apartment in Orange County and this spring purchased a new $430,000 house in the Riverside County city of Murrieta, becoming homeowners for the first time.

Even though the move meant that Josh’s commute to his Huntington Beach job ballooned to 75 miles, the couple said it was worth it to get a large house — something they couldn’t afford closer in. The median home price in Riverside County was $365,000 in July, compared with $690,000 in Orange County, according to CoreLogic.

“We wanted to get out of renting,” Josh said. “We wanted to move toward starting a family.”

Given the high cost of housing in urban and coastal areas, many are choosing a single-family house inland.

The Hyinks said that near the coast they couldn’t afford the large house they wanted for their dog and future children. In Murrieta, they have a brand-new, three-bedroom house with a three-car garage. As an added plus, they are near Temecula, where they both grew up.

It was cool out there for a while,” Kayleigh, a 26-year-old teacher, said of Orange County. “But we’d never have a yard.”

This is great to hear. I as well as many people are commuting. I've been doing it fir a while 23 years so I'm used to it.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:26 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
So 10 years later you make the same money now as you did then? what are the house prices and wages NOW? AFAIK Denver has gotten very expensive and crowded.

To counter your point I have friends who moved to Texas and got paid less. Yes they bought a house for 250k and are paying the same amount of property taxes that I'm paying on a 500,000k house

75% of my current rentals are occupied by people coming out of state to relocate here. The average difference between the former wages to Ca wages were about 30% with one guy winning at 50%
No, 10 years after moving to Denver and I am still inline with my SoCal friends salary.

Anyways man I am not here to argue with you. I am just sharing my experience and happiness in owning a house in Denver that I know wouldn't be possible in OC. I really see no reason to be house poor in OC when there are many other places for young families to live very comfortably.

Not only is housing still much more expensive there, but anything that is tied to a parcel of land (daycare, restaurants, shopping) is much more expensive as well.

p.s. The median house price in Denver is 372k https://www.zillow.com/denver-metro-...0/home-values/ just an FYI it is still MUCH cheaper to live here than OC.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:24 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
No, 10 years after moving to Denver and I am still inline with my SoCal friends salary.

Anyways man I am not here to argue with you. I am just sharing my experience and happiness in owning a house in Denver that I know wouldn't be possible in OC. I really see no reason to be house poor in OC when there are many other places for young families to live very comfortably.

Not only is housing still much more expensive there, but anything that is tied to a parcel of land (daycare, restaurants, shopping) is much more expensive as well.

p.s. The median house price in Denver is 372k https://www.zillow.com/denver-metro-...0/home-values/ just an FYI it is still MUCH cheaper to live here than OC.
And if a family the lower cost means the wife does not have to work and can care for the Children far better than a day care can or will (Or she works and you can).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County