Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 10:50 PM

347 posts, read 667,353 times

Advertisements

No.

I build tract housing (cookie cutter) and am making a killing to be honest. The lack of new housing to meet demand is what will push this market forward over the next few years. I don't see anything but up.

I suffered during the great recession, but this is a completely different animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 12:15 AM

82 posts, read 165,881 times
Some very valid points. In my price range, 650k and under, there are a lot of buyers. The main reason that I'm considering pulling the trigger is that this next home will be our families home for a very long time. My oldest is starting school this year and I don't want to move her around once she starts making friends.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:25 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,415,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lallo View Post
Some very valid points. In my price range, 650k and under, there are a lot of buyers. The main reason that I'm considering pulling the trigger is that this next home will be our families home for a very long time. My oldest is starting school this year and I don't want to move her around once she starts making friends.
This.

Buying a "home" is wise when you have a family. Buying a house because you think you will make money is not so bright unless you really understand the market.

Once a home is bought the value, taxes etc is pretty much locked in and in the long term you will build equity that may have value down the road. Buying to make money is vastly different as real estate commissions and other fees eat up a lot of equity. Stretching to the limit is never wise unless it is a home you are buying and you have a secure job/income. While the market is unlikely to bust as it did last time, it is likely to flatten in a few years and then bounce up and down a bit.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:12 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,415,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Planner View Post
No.

I build tract housing (cookie cutter) and am making a killing to be honest. The lack of new housing to meet demand is what will push this market forward over the next few years. I don't see anything but up.

I suffered during the great recession, but this is a completely different animal.
Many can't accept this. They want a price drop so they can buy.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:42 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,290,653 times
was OC really affected during the great recession? there was a dip in home prices but was not as severe as those in Riverside, San Bernardino

Old 05-02-2017, 09:48 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,993,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
was OC really affected during the great recession? there was a dip in home prices but was not as severe as those in Riverside, San Bernardino
Certain parts of OC were hit with 40% dips, so yes there was a big dip during the recession. But remember it was one of the worst financial crisis ever faced by the country and over 500+ banks failed from 2008-2012 including WaMu, Lehman, etc.

We will likely never see such a dip in OC in our lifetimes, as I don't see banks ever doing no-income-verification 100% loans again, unless they're stupid (which is certainly a possibility).

Old 05-02-2017, 10:18 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,878,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lallo View Post
Anyone else fee like it's 2006 all over again. Buyers seem to be bidding up houses like crazy today. Some houses don't even make it to the first open house before it goes into pending. I'm thinking of waiting out this madness. What's everyone's take on this? I am currently looking and have the 20% down and preapproved for 650k but what I'm seeing out there feels like this can't continue for too much longer. One of my coworkers is closing this Friday on a 690k house with only 5% down. WTF!

It is an asset transfer: people are taking one kind of asset (stocks) and exchanging them for another kind of asset (housing).

Currently, the stock market is at essentially an all-time high, so people have wealth to transfer into housing.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:43 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,187,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post

I have a condo in Orange. In 3 days it went from 310,000 to 130,000. The HOA was in dire straits because nobody could pay the dues. My neighbors moved out in the middle of the night and left for Indiana. There were multiple short sales and walk aways. It was VERY bad.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:58 AM

8,392 posts, read 7,656,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I have a condo in Orange. In 3 days it went from 310,000 to 130,000. The HOA was in dire straits because nobody could pay the dues. My neighbors moved out in the middle of the night and left for Indiana. There were multiple short sales and walk aways. It was VERY bad.
Just out of curiousity, how is your condo value doing today?

Old 05-02-2017, 11:15 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,290,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Just out of curiousity, how is your condo value doing today?
that should be 500k+ now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County