Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2017, 06:27 PM

8 posts, read 8,284 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently got a new job in Cerritos, CA and my wife works in Orange, CA. Trying to find a place to buy a newer condo/home (build post 2000s) in orange county that will work out for both of us. I don't mind commuting a bit more than her. I was looking into the city of Orange, since I hear the schools are decent and the housing prices are relatively affordable. The area appeals to me also because I like that it is central to the rest of the OC. Recently, I was looking at some condo's in the Riverbend housing community off of glassell and lincoln? I see some in the $600,000 range which is excellent. I saw in another thread about warnings for that community due to the area being a little shady due to the river trail/path and also a concern about Mello Roo fees? Does anyone have a second opinion about that area and how much the mello roos are per month? Or any other suggestions on where to look for condos in an up and coming area? Thanks in advance, everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 06:40 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Can I ask a few questions?

Why the 2000 build date cutoff?

There are townhouses that are below 600,000. Unless you just gotta have a new build looknaround

The river channel is choked with homeless now from Angles stadium all the way down to Fountain Valley.

Mello Ruse imo isn't something you want.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:00 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,103 times
Corona to Cerritos might be a bad commute, but Corona has the new and nice you might like plus it's not so far inland that you get the bad weather. It's often not much warmer than Yorba or Ana Hills. The 91 is better now and you can pay the express lanes to cut some off that commute. If they ever just tripled the size of the 91 then the IE would be just as costly as Orange County.

If you think about it, the San Gabriel Valley has the 210, 10, and 60 going which allowed endless sprawl for 60 miles east. South of DTLA though you have the 105, 91, and 22 fwys going East/West, but they all smoosh into the 91 to get inland. Can you imagine if the 210 and 60 had to smoosh into the 10? Ok, off topic... off topic...

I just don't think these townhomes are worth it in the long run.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:01 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocannsamiam View Post
Recently, I was looking at some condo's in the Riverbend housing community off of glassell and lincoln? I see some in the $600,000 range which is excellent. I saw in another thread about warnings for that community due to the area being a little shady due to the river trail/path and also a concern about Mello Roo fees? Does anyone have a second opinion about that area and how much the mello roos are per month? Or any other suggestions on where to look for condos in an up and coming area? Thanks in advance, everyone.
Mello Roos in that community ranges from about $2700-3600 yearly (it appears on your property tax bill). Many new communities (year 2000+) in OC have mello roos but not all of them.

There are several other communities that could probably work for you, but inventory is so tight right now I really only see a handful of places that fit what you're looking for. If you're willing to go back to the mid-90s, then there are some options in Brea, Placentia, and Yorba Linda that could probably work. For 2000+ there's Buena Park, Anaheim, and parts of Orange.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:25 PM

8 posts, read 8,284 times
Hello everyone, thanks for all the insight. I was hoping for a relatively newer home or build, hence the 2000 year cut off. I was thinking of looking into Buena Park or Anaheim but I know the schools in those area aren't the best and crime is higher also. I also am considering Anaheim hills but that definitely would increase both my and my wife's commute. Plus I have family in oc and so am not considering IE or corona.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:12 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,050,786 times
Quote:
Hello,

I recently got a new job in Cerritos, CA and my wife works in Orange, CA. Trying to find a place to buy a newer condo/home (build post 2000s) in orange county that will work out for both of us. I don't mind commuting a bit more than her. I was looking into the city of Orange, since I hear the schools are decent and the housing prices are relatively affordable. The area appeals to me also because I like that it is central to the rest of the OC. Recently, I was looking at some condo's in the Riverbend housing community off of glassell and lincoln? I see some in the $600,000 range which is excellent. I saw in another thread about warnings for that community due to the area being a little shady due to the river trail/path and also a concern about Mello Roo fees? Does anyone have a second opinion about that area and how much the mello roos are per month? Or any other suggestions on where to look for condos in an up and coming area? Thanks in advance, everyone.
I don't know much about the Riverbend community other than it having some nice floorplans and a fairly steep mello roos. I believe the river area around Anaheim/orange is getting an uptick in homeless encampments.

If you're looking for highly rated schools within a reasonable commute to Cerritos and Orange, these might be worth your consideration in terms of places built 2000 and beyond in the 500 to 600k range:

-Amerige Heights (fullerton) - top rated schools, but also has mello roos. Built primarily in the early 2000's.
-Porta Rosa (Brea) - top rated schools, has mello roos but I believe the rate is lower than that of Amerige Heights. Still currently being built but I believe models are either open or will open very soon. Starting in the low 600k range for 3 bedrooms.

Good luck!

Old 09-05-2017, 11:25 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Hello everyone, thanks for all the insight. I was hoping for a relatively newer home or build, hence the 2000 year cut off. I was thinking of looking into Buena Park or Anaheim but I know the schools in those area aren't the best and crime is higher also. I also am considering Anaheim hills but that definitely would increase both my and my wife's commute. Plus I have family in oc and so am not considering IE or corona.
You can find townhouses in Huntington, Fountain Valley, Westminster, Costa Mesa for well under 600,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County