Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about an Orange County Blvd.?
I think its a great idea, and support "Harbor" changing to Orange County Blvd. 0 0%
I think its a great idea, and support "Edinger/Irvine Center/Moulton/Golven Lantern" changing to Orange County Blvd. 6 30.00%
I think its a great idea, but support another street changing to Orange County Blvd. 1 5.00%
I do not support the idea 13 65.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:41 PM

72 posts, read 261,559 times

Advertisements

I was at an OC conference where people were talking over the idea of changing one of our major thoroughfares to Orange County Blvd. (either Harbor Blvd throughout the county or Edinger/Irvine Center/Moulton/and Golden Lantern to Orange County Blvd)

Personally, I think its a great idea, and I think it will really help us create an identitiy to tourists and distance ourselves from LA. I know people who have talked to some of the OC supervisors about it, but dont know how they responded.

What do you think about an Orange County Blvd.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 11:23 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,745 times
Imagine the wasted money we don't have in the first place just to change a streets name. All the new exit signs, street signs, businesses having to change business cards, letter head, etc.... and for what? Orange County is already it's own entity. It's nearly another world from Los Angeles, and I love each for their differences. A street name change isn't going to make me feel any more pride in my county than I already feel. In fact it may make me question the logic of the people running our county.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:30 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
Imagine the wasted money we don't have in the first place just to change a streets name. All the new exit signs, street signs, businesses having to change business cards, letter head, etc.... and for what? Orange County is already it's own entity. It's nearly another world from Los Angeles, and I love each for their differences. A street name change isn't going to make me feel any more pride in my county than I already feel. In fact it may make me question the logic of the people running our county.
Yep. Pretty pointless.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:48 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Dumbest idea ever. And I'll still call it Harbor or Edinger just to make people say "huh?"

Old 03-21-2008, 01:44 AM

72 posts, read 261,559 times
They talked to several businesses who said that they would be more than happy to change their letterhead if they could own a business along Orange County Blvd. I dont know why there is so little support in this forum, in another poll, there was about 55% support, 38% reject, 7% no opinion.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:15 AM

because its a waste of money, time, and resources. all of which equal more money. and for what? a street name. who cares? Harbor Blvd is a popular and well known name in OC and surrounding areas. Edinger has no need to be renamed. The only thing special about Edinger is that it runs by Mile Square and goes by a Microcenter. It's also a very long street by OC standards, and that means lots of street signs and businesses and maps and gps systems having to update. All for what? A street name. Whoop de doo.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:18 AM

if you want to rename any street, maybe pick macarthur. its got the airport and its really not that big. people who dont know come out of the airport onto orange county blvd. "hey, we're in orange county, what do you know"

Old 03-21-2008, 02:51 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
if you want to rename any street, maybe pick macarthur. its got the airport and its really not that big. people who dont know come out of the airport onto orange county blvd. "hey, we're in orange county, what do you know"
That would make more sense but MacArthur is named after Douglas MacArthur
Who was a significant Army General during WW2, received the Medal of Honor, I think we should leave that one too:

Douglas MacArthur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-21-2008, 03:13 PM

119 posts, read 881,232 times
Its an ok idea especially for Edinger/Irvine Center/Moulton/Golden Lantern Its like Northern Virginia roads such as Loundon County Pkwy, Fairfax County Pkwy and Prince William Parkway, I remember 15-20years ago the reverse happened here where Compton Blvd was a major thoroughfare in the south bay that ran from Manhattan Beach to Norwalk. Many cities especially in the South Bay, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Lawndale, Gardena, wanted to disassociate themselves from the city of Compton which they did the street became Marine Ave. Later Paramount and Bellflower joined in with name Somerset Blvd named after one of the area's founders township name, finally Norwalk created Excelsior Dr named for the areas oldest School (and former Excelsior School District serving the area from the Lated 1920's til early 1960's)
The Biggest drawback is cost to business and cities for signage, stationary etc.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:54 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
At one time, there was an Orange Blvd. When Cal State Fullerton was first built, it was called Orange State College. The street it was on was called Orange State Blvd.
Orange State College was later changed to Orange State University, then later still, to California State University Fullerton. Orange State Blvd was then changed to State College Blvd.
So we already had the street named Orange Blvd, and they dumped it, so give it up..!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County