Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2018, 10:48 PM

8 posts, read 8,854 times

Advertisements

Helll, I just moved to AV and am a huge seafood eater. Unfortunately I looked at the selection of some of the grocery stores nearby, Staters, Ralphs, and Costco and the selection a were limited. Costco has the best with Rockfish for 4.99 lb. I haven’t checked TJs Sprouts or Wholefoods. Albertsons is usually asininely priced for everything so I haven’t checked them either. I would have thought being so close to the ocean the big grocery stores might have a better selection. Are there any places nearby ( San Juan Capistrano, Dana point, Laguna Beach) or elsewhere reasonably close that sells a decent selection of sea food for a reasonable (not super cheap not gouging high)? I’m not too familiar with the area yet. Appreciate any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 07:21 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,737,523 times
I'm no longer a fish eater since I have gone vegan, but I have heard that Gelson's Market in Dana Point has a nice fresh selection. I like Chart House in Dana Point for meals.

I doubt that you will find many seafood bargains in South OC. That's life, coastal area or not. So, be prepared to pay high prices.

Welcome and good luck.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:54 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,334,135 times
You have to shop all and read the market flyers that come out during the week to find the bargains. My parents who live in the area shop at Whole Foods, Stater Bros, Pavilions, Sprout's and Trader Joe's and buy according to who has the best deals. I think Pavilions and Whole Foods have the best quality, but prices to match. Ditto for Gelson's.

As an aside, I cooked fresh swordfish (from Whole Foods) and frozen (from TJ's) a few days ago for my parents and family and only I knew which was which. The taste was indistinguishable.

If you get to Newport/Costa Mesa, check out Santa Monica Seafood Market.

For off the boat, go to the Dory Fleet at the Newport Pier.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:36 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
You have to shop all and read the market flyers that come out during the week to find the bargains. My parents who live in the area shop at Whole Foods, Stater Bros, Pavilions, Sprout's and Trader Joe's and buy according to who has the best deals. I think Pavilions and Whole Foods have the best quality, but prices to match. Ditto for Gelson's.

As an aside, I cooked fresh swordfish (from Whole Foods) and frozen (from TJ's) a few days ago for my parents and family and only I knew which was which. The taste was indistinguishable.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:59 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,315,883 times
you should go to an Asian supermarket. i think the nearest ones are in Irvine. look for Seafood City and 99 Ranch (or Ranch 99?)

Old 11-06-2018, 05:45 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,737,523 times
Just an aside, but if you ever look for a local seafood restaurant, you might want to try the Fish District in Aliso Viejo. Although I have no personal experience with that restaurant, it tends to get high ratings:
Aliso Viejo - The Commons

Opah Restaurant & Bar in Aliso Viejo may also be worth checking out:
https://www.opentable.com/opah-resta...ce-aliso-viejo

Old 11-09-2018, 12:36 PM

8 posts, read 8,854 times
Thank you, all i appreciate the tips. Ill try to check out some of the Asian markets in the OC, and the Dory fleet and other markets mentioned. I dont mind paying a bit extra for a better selection/quality

Old 11-10-2018, 10:22 AM

585 posts, read 644,017 times
The nearest place to Aliso Viejo that sells a broad variety of high quality food is probably the Whole Foods market in Laguna Niguel. It is a 5-10 minute drive from most of Aliso Viejo, 5 min from Aliso Niguel High School. There is also a nearby Mothers or Sprouts in the plaza with Home Depot. That plaza happens to be about a half-mile down the street from Whole Foods.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:22 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,851,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

I was thinking off Dory Fleet, but you have to get up early for them. I saw long line too.

But I buy lobster from a fish and chip place down near Dana Point Harbor. No need to stand in line from 5am.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 11-10-2018 at 03:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County