Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2018, 11:27 AM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
If you don't mind getting stuck in traffic jams, sadly.

But anyway, I am not nostalgic for the John Birchers, Bill Dannemeyer, Dornan type jingoism of old Orange County. If it means a place where I and my daughter are part of the mainstream (we're Asian American) and not seen as perpetual foreigners - I'll take it.
It is a b**ch. As I have often said: the only problem I have with living in San Diego is I have to drive through LA and OC to get there from the rest of the Pacific Coast I travel and love.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:26 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
It is a b**ch. As I have often said: the only problem I have with living in San Diego is I have to drive through LA and OC to get there from the rest of the Pacific Coast I travel and love.
Oh please. San Diego’s traffic is terrible at this point and OCs roads, in general, are far better.

As for LA, it hasn’t invested in its roads. Blame them, not OC. Shouldn’t you be taking the train or something as LA would have you do?

Old 11-19-2018, 12:30 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
If you don't mind getting stuck in traffic jams, sadly.

But anyway, I am not nostalgic for the John Birchers, Bill Dannemeyer, Dornan type jingoism of old Orange County. If it means a place where I and my daughter are part of the mainstream (we're Asian American) and not seen as perpetual foreigners - I'll take it.
Perpetual foreigner syndrome is sad, but if it is less prevalent anywhere outside of the Bay, it’s OC. Tons of my friends are Asian, mostly Chinese. Politics and an election don’t change that!

One more thing. This thread started off discussing Young Kim, who lost as a republican. This is just ridiculous to now pretend it was racist and now no longer is. Kim is Korean American.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:59 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I guess "flourishing" is in the eye of the beholder. All three are liberal ****holes overrun with homeless, illegal immigrants, high taxes, and repressive gun laws.

That may be "flourishing" to you, but it's a ****hole to me.
Do you have plans to move away? There are plenty of places that don't have what you describe.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:02 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Perpetual foreigner syndrome is sad, but if it is less prevalent anywhere outside of the Bay, it’s OC. Tons of my friends are Asian, mostly Chinese. Politics and an election don’t change that!

One more thing. This thread started off discussing Young Kim, who lost as a republican. This is just ridiculous to now pretend it was racist and now no longer is. Kim is Korean American.
Yep, grew up there and it did not make any difference to us who was around us. Now a LOT of LA was not like that. I went to school with people of a lot of Races and Nationalities.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:10 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Pretty wild to see the OC go 1 party Democrat like LA...WTF happened?
California lets illegals vote

Old 11-19-2018, 01:23 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times
Quote:
OC was once a "sprawling suburb" but it no longer dependent on LA economically. That was decades ago. It is no longer a real suburb. I posted a few years ago that more people from LA commute IN to OC, than the reverse. OC is a job center, attracting people not just from LA but other neighboring counties. OC has developed enormously and advanced to the stage that it has everything it needs and is not a mere suburb, but a region. Yes, it is part of the greater Los Angeles area, but it is also very much its own area with a powerful economy.
OC is still an LA suburb until they get an epicenter. Irvine is just a business park.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:26 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
OC is still an LA suburb until they get an epicenter. Irvine is just a business park.
You have not seen the traffic after 2-3pm. It’s actually more cars coming out of a Irvine then the other way around.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:27 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:

I agree with you. I think somebody has a chip in their shoulders.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:31 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
You have not seen the traffic after 2-3pm. It’s actually more cars coming out of a Irvine then the other way around.
That's due to Irvine's location there really isn't much past Irvine I'm sure majority of those people are driving to Northern OC. I'm very well aware of the traffic patterns down the 405 there are more people going into Oc than LA County, for the 91, 22, and 57 as well. Not to mention the 5 it's called the Santa Ana freeway for a reason past downtown LA because that's where most people are commuting to and from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County