Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:03 AM

101 posts, read 304,641 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are of Pakistani origin, he's (Kashmiri), I'm (Afghani). But we were born and raised in North America, (he's from Detroit and I'm from Ontario, Canada). In June 2007 we may be moving to Newport Beach for his work. Thank God, we're blessed enough to be able to afford living there, so financially we're not too nervous, just cautious. I'm considering living in East Costa Mesa in a condo at first. Then perhaps eventually moving to a permanent, dream home a couple years later.

My main concern is that I keep hearing from friends to not live in Newport because it's very rich, white, stuffy and conservative right wing. My husband grew up in that sort of neighborhood anyways so he doesn't mind. But I'm an artist so somewhat liberal. And I'll be home with the kids, doing PTA, talking with the neighbors. I just don't want to feel totally out of place.

We've lived in West LA (corner of Barrington and Texas Ave) for a year and a half. It is a mixed neighborhood with many Hispanic neighbors, some families and some students from UCLA. So would it be a better option for us to live in Costa Mesa which seems a little more artistic and has some culture. Or am I totally ignorant about Newport Beach? It's not as bad as I think? We've driven through Costa Mesa, Newport and Irvine. But we didn't actually stop and see much of it except for Laguna Beach which we both liked very much. Maybe we should just drive down there and actually see it again. But can anyone give me an insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 12:33 PM

989 posts, read 5,924,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saimamom View Post
My husband and I are of Pakistani origin, he's (Kashmiri), I'm (Afghani). But we were born and raised in North America, (he's from Detroit and I'm from Ontario, Canada). In June 2007 we may be moving to Newport Beach for his work. Thank God, we're blessed enough to be able to afford living there, so financially we're not too nervous, just cautious. I'm considering living in East Costa Mesa in a condo at first. Then perhaps eventually moving to a permanent, dream home a couple years later.

My main concern is that I keep hearing from friends to not live in Newport because it's very rich, white, stuffy and conservative right wing. My husband grew up in that sort of neighborhood anyways so he doesn't mind. But I'm an artist so somewhat liberal. And I'll be home with the kids, doing PTA, talking with the neighbors. I just don't want to feel totally out of place.

We've lived in West LA (corner of Barrington and Texas Ave) for a year and a half. It is a mixed neighborhood with many Hispanic neighbors, some families and some students from UCLA. So would it be a better option for us to live in Costa Mesa which seems a little more artistic and has some culture. Or am I totally ignorant about Newport Beach? It's not as bad as I think? We've driven through Costa Mesa, Newport and Irvine. But we didn't actually stop and see much of it except for Laguna Beach which we both liked very much. Maybe we should just drive down there and actually see it again. But can anyone give me an insight?
Well, Orange County is the most republican county in the US. Newport Beach is certainly no exception. As far as, acceptance and liberal values it would definitly range depending on what neighborhood/area you lived in. Some of the neighborhoods(gated especially) are very close-knit, and some ultra-conservative. Laguna Beach has a greator percentage of registered Democrats than Newport and much of OC. It was once a thriving artist colony; Artists who are now being pushed out due to high cost-of-living.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:38 PM

346 posts, read 2,140,609 times
You will not like Newport Beach if you are ethnic and liberal. It IS indeed a very white place with very stuffy conservative people. Also they have this mentality there that every female stares down other females as if they are trying to compete with each other. You'll probably get stared at and be very unhappy there despite all the pretty beaches and people. I am white and liberal and I hated Newport Beach. People are just so unfriendly there. It's a nice area though, pretty, clean, beachy but it's really not a great place for liberal people. You might want to live in a nearby city and have your husband commute.

I would say go down there, like you said, and spend a week there. Walk around, talk to people (if you can) get some opinions. Really everytime I was there it seemed like a very young, white party-kids with big bank accounts and very little ambition type place. A bunch of spoiled kids living the high life. Every neighborhood I walked by there was at least one house having a big party. I guess I'm just not used to that... I'm not used to having the time or energy to have parties. I'm 25 and I was annoyed so maybe I'm just weird.

I agree with Newportbeachsmostwanted: Laguna Beach would be a better option but I don't know what the commute would be like to get to the job in Newport. Laguna has more of a mix of liberals and republicans but is still a very wealthy beach town. It can still feel oppressive to liberals even there.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:52 PM

989 posts, read 5,924,355 times
Might I add, Newport is a very image-based society. You will not get the same "West LA Mentality"... Likely, you will feel like you are being scrutinized or watched more than before. I definitly feel and see this everytime I come "home." I feel that I must take better care of myself: Keep my beard shaved, and stay well-groomed. I disagree that people are unfriendly there, but it is possible it is perception plays a huge part. It's actually a great place to raise a family. Just be aware that 19 out of 20 people you see will be white, conservative, and ultra-rich.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the helpful replies. I'm definitely seeing that my worst fears are justified. My husband and I have been talking about this subject and would probably feel more comfortable in a place like Huntington Beach or perhaps Costa Mesa. I have a friend who told me of her experience with the 'stare down'. She spoke about the materialism, shallowness and competitiveness. I thought sure it exists in most wealthy communities but it won't change me or affect me. I'm about as opposite of an OC wife as you can find. Most days I don't wear makeup, I don't have my nails done or own a Chanel bag.

When it all comes down to it, I'm willing to sacrifice my own personal happiness somewhat for my kids and my husband. He'll possibly have an amazing job there and kids will have excellent schools and environment to grow up in. So what if I don't like some of the people around me? Everyone can't be that bad right? Having lived in NYC's Upper East Side for 5 years, I was happy with the laid back lifestyle of California. But I guess it's a trade off. There's good and bad everywhere. I'm definitely going to drive down to Newport soon and talk to some people. Thanks.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:12 PM

144 posts, read 935,531 times
I love it how Liberals think they are so much better than everyone else. Conservative people must be stuck up and because the are "right wing" they must be racist.

Give me a break.

"Liberal" people are just as racist. You can find racist Liberals and racist Conservatives just as you can find non-racist Liberals and non-racist Conservatives.

My favorite fallacy on this thread: Conservatives are the only stuck up people in life. Have any of these people been to New England? By the way people are posting such ignorant thoughts, I think not.

What's funny is that these "liberals" on this thread no doubt have some time rallied against the stereotyping of Muslims, Arabs etc..Yet look what they're doing now....the same people who warn against stereotyping are the first to do so. Figures.

Anyway, try it out. Don't be put off by the Conservatives are fascist and racist while liberals are "accepting" and "loving". Don't buy that garbage. Don't buy into the fallacy that if you move into a more "liberal" area, you will be accepted for who you are more. It simply isn't the case.

Like is true in all of Southern California, people respect money more than they do of race. Looks like you have the money, so you will probably be loved in the OC. My advice is to not let the LIBERALS AND CONSERVATIVES that live next to you judge you on your appearance and instead invite them over for dinner or host a house warming party. Get to know your neighbors, not by their political affiliation (because the posters on this thread know exactly how everyone is based on this), but for who they are as people.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Don't buy into the Liberal-Good, Conservative-bad crap that people are spewing at you on your thread.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:29 PM

Benzboy. I agree, I've met some very narrow-minded liberals in my time. And you make an interesting point there, not all Conservatives are evil. I don't expect to experience out right racism. I do expect to be the black sheep somewhat though. I agree that you need to get to know people for who they really are and I hope someone gives me the benefit of the doubt if I end up living there.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:51 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,884 times
Saimamom, I am hoping your husband and you will do just fine for the following reason: there are so many professionals in L.A. and O.C., particularly medical professionals and doctors with surnames from your part of the world, that folks will assume well-off people like yourselves are indeed that. You sound like you all would be an asset to any neighborhood, even O.C.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:53 PM

If you were moving your black family and kids to Newport Beach or any other rich, white SoCal suburb, you would stick out. But because you are not that dark of skin (I presume), I think that the "black sheep" scene that you are talking about wouldn't occur. Southern California is pretty well segregated by race, but mostly by income. Asians do not look the same as white people but the successful ones (they're plenty) live in La Jolla, Rancho Santa Fe and all the other nice areas.

I say buy the house and do a life experiment. If it really is that bad and people can't stop staring at you and you're treated like **** than move. But I have a hunch that if you come to them in their neighborhood with open arms they will likewise do the same.

Try it out.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:56 PM

Good point fastfilm about the non-caucasian doctors. My parents are both doctors and there are a sizable ammount of Indian, Pakastani and even Iranian doctors that are well respected and accepted within their community.

Southern California is segregated by wealth, if a rich asian happens to hop the fence into Laguna Beach, I don't think people would complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County