Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 08:40 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Unlike the United States where people walk around with the flu every year getting others sick and killing their neighbors, China is going on full lock down to try to eradicate coronavirus. Given the measures the totalitarian government is taking to lock down cities, they may be successful like they were with SARS.
This strain of coronavirus is new and localized. It's theoretically possible to contain it. But China has the regular old Influenza A and B also. The death rate for influenza in China is virtually the same as it is in the US. They don't "lock down" the whole country for flu, and they're clearly not "unlike" us in this regard.

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/...ia/by-country/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 06:46 PM

252 posts, read 422,588 times
Well, Here is a real risk that is very prevalent....that we all witness every day, that is more likely to harm or kill you than the cronovirus.

That is the morons driving their cars while texting, or on cell phones. Or surfing the internet.

They are also engrossed , walking across busy roads or highways , heads down texting, no bloody clue as to approaching traffic

Walking thru busy shopping mall parking lots or shopping center lots, not looking for a second at where they are going and no situational awareness at any time. And vehicles hauling ass also on their cell phones.

And there is a good chance that some of you are guilty of the above on a daily basis.

I fully understand that there could be a very serious outbreak...

But, you might ask Tump, who has all of those kids locked up, and separated from the parents, exactly
why is there is an airliner headed from China, were there is a huge outbreak of coronovirus, flying direct to
Ontario Airport. Maybe there is something that you all can do about that.

And there are now according to the CDC, 5 confirmed cases of cornonvirus in the whole USA.

One problem we have with all of the virus, flu, etc, running rampant, is as others have said, the ill people still go out to work, or to socialize, to the market, to where ever. No clue to stay home, get well and not spread the normal diseases and colds to others.

20,000 have died in the U.S.A. of the flu. Some of us got our flu shots, that some times work and sometimes don't. But at least we are proactive, and do not snivel and complain.

Erica and I stay healthy, and are very active, and stay fit and positive. We very seldom get sick. But, two years ago plus, we both came down with H3N2 influenza virus.....we were wiped out, and stayed home.. . No doctor visits since you could not get in. But, we thought of others and layed in for about a month.

Point being, we did not snivel and and cry, or go out anywhere . We just took care of it ourselves with no comment.

we all need to be thinking of other people, and following the procedures put by the CDC, is all we can do.

I am planning on being totally over this respiratory infection that is going around, and recovering in good speed, and no longer contageous. But I should be totally 100% recovered in a few more days to go out for super bowl sunday.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:03 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I wish China would discourage it's people from eating all kinds of wild animals pretty much anything they can catch or buy still alive in local markets. So many of these viruses originate in China for this reason. Even the black plague (a bacteria not a virus) is thought to have originated in central and east Asia. The Spanish flu which killed more people than WWI is now thought to have probably originated in China. It's only a matter of time before another virus or bacteria comes out of China that humans have no immunity to that will be really devastating.
The U.S. has a problem with it's work culture where people go to work and school sick spreading everything to everyone near them with no consideration.
The US has a problem because people get no paid days off/sick, managers scream and fire people when they call out and a lot of people are broke and live paycheck to paycheck cant take a few non paid days off because it would financially ruin them . If people could get paid days for being sick they would take days off when sick

Old 01-29-2020, 08:44 AM

What ! That idea of not letting people get well and stay home or they are fired ????.

Electric.

One person is ill, needs a few days off until they are no longer contageous....and soon will be back to work .and you say they will get fired... Well, we all have choices as to where we are in life, and that includes our careers and who we work for.

And for the moron employer who practices that policy, what occurs with that brilliant remark and attitude.

They person comes to work, at the beginning of their illness....and then what happens:

* Their ability to function at their job is highly impaired
* They bring the virus or illness to work and INFECT OTHERS which could be the entire staff.
* Now several more employees have contracted the illness and they come to work and infect others.
* Production or what ever service is negatively effected
* Now, the entire staff is very ill, as they continue to come to work and infect others
* Also recovery by individuals is much longer due to not taking care and staying home
*. The ill are actually becoming more sick, and putting their health and possibly lives in danger.
* This also multiplies to their families, and those outside of their families.

Not sure what others have done as a career, or what they have experienced in life.....

But some of us, have had responsibility for not only our selves , but to others as well.
That means their actual lifes and well beings.

When I volunteered for the military and vietnam, I was assigned to VP-17, Patrol Squadron 17 and we flew
Navy Patrol Bombers . The health of our pilots and aircrews was very important.

However, up on the walls of Operations, they had a huge poster, with a cartoon figure of a guy not in good health,
the large print said.

DO NOT FLY WITH THAT COLD !

After discharge, I flew for about 36 years , a long career, as a Flight Instructor, Charter Pilot, Corporate Pilot, and the last
17 years as an Air Combat Instructor, that is 5 and 6 G dogfights . Not sitting on a couch thumb twidling a video game.

If I was ill, which did did not happen often, I called in, explained the situation, and others took up the slack, and
no one was fired.

However, the office management people when they got sick, they would come into work,, and what occured ??... They infected the rest of the office staff, management, and even the mechanics. That was voluntary, and all it takes is one person. Then they had a huge problem with all of the support personnel ill. And who else can they pass that bug on to...yep the pilots.

I have even refused to fly into bad weather and went nose to nose with the Production Manager of a munitions company that I was their corporate pilot. The situation was, that they needed sample munititions flown down from ORANGE COUNTY AIRPORT to the Yuma proving grounds, to be tested and the govt would buy off the entire lot .

The weather report was : Powerful storm, icing in precipitation, low ceilings, mountains and passes obscured, moderate to severe turburlence, and flight not recommended by the FAA weather briefers.

I called Mr.Mgr,and explained the situation, and I was not going to fly that day. He told me I ahd to take fly to Yuma, since THEY HAD AN ALL WEATHER AIRPLANE , IT DID NOT LEAK A BIT. Or I would be fired.

Really, I am responsible for what I do in life and where I am in life. I told this manager ground pounder, ....quote.

THEN YOU FLY IT ! And I hung up the phone and called the president of the company and told him about the conversation and the weather situation and that I QUIT. If I do not like where I am working, I would find a new job.

Well, the president he asked when was the weather clearing, I told him ..the next morning.....I was not fired, and the next day was clear and visibility un restricted. All was well.

Tragic side story... That same stormy day, a small commuter airliner crashed into Julian Mountain, taking passengers from
San Diego out to Palm Springs. All on board will killed. Julian was on my intended route of flight.

Point being, if a person is ill, or the situation is dangerous, for the benefit of everyone including the company, stay home, or keep the plane on the ground .

Have I worked at jobs that were not quite what I expected. Yep, I have, I gave em go, but wound up leaving and finding other employment. I believe it is important to have a passion for what I work at, and enjoy what I do, and look forward to going to work every day.

As to an employer firing some one who is ill , Pretty simple.....Let that one person, take a few days or a week off due to virus or other illness, and keep the company operating and not wiping out the entire staff.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:31 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidooley View Post
What ! That idea of not letting people get well and stay home or they are fired ????.

Electric.

One person is ill, needs a few days off until they are no longer contageous....and soon will be back to work .and you say they will get fired... Well, we all have choices as to where we are in life, and that includes our careers and who we work for.

And for the moron employer who practices that policy, what occurs with that brilliant remark and attitude.

They person comes to work, at the beginning of their illness....and then what happens:

* They bring the virus or illness to work and INFECT OTHERS which could be the entire staff.
* Now several more employees have contracted the illness and they come to work and infect others.
* Now, the entire staff is very ill, as they continue to come to work and infect others
* Also recovery by individuals is much longer due to not taking care and staying home
*. The ill are actually becoming more sick, and putting their health and possibly lives in danger.

Not sure what others have done as a career, or what they have experienced in life.....

But some of us, have had responsibility for not only our selves , but to others as well.

When I volunteered for the military and vietnam, I was assigned to VP-17, Patrol Squadron 17 and we flew

However, up on the walls of Operations, they had a huge poster, with a cartoon figure of a guy not in good health,
the large print said.

After discharge, I flew for about 36 years , a long career, as a Flight Instructor, Charter Pilot, Corporate Pilot, and the last
17 years as an Air Combat Instructor, that is 5 and 6 G dogfights . Not sitting on a couch thumb twidling a video game.

If I was ill, which did did not happen often, I called in, explained the situation, and others took up the slack, and
no one was fired.

However, the office management people when they got sick, they would come into work,, and what occured ??... They infected the rest of the office staff, management, and even the mechanics. That was voluntary, and all it takes is one person. Then they had a huge problem with all of the support personnel ill. And who else can they pass that bug on to...yep the pilots.

I have even refused to fly into bad weather and went nose to nose with the Production Manager of a munitions company that I was their corporate pilot. The situation was, that they needed sample munititions flown down from ORANGE COUNTY AIRPORT to the Yuma proving grounds, to be tested and the govt would buy off the entire lot .

The weather report was : Powerful storm, icing in precipitation, low ceilings, mountains and passes obscured, moderate to severe turburlence, and flight not recommended by the FAA weather briefers.

I called Mr.Mgr,and explained the situation, and I was not going to fly that day. He told me I ahd to take fly to Yuma, since THEY HAD AN ALL WEATHER AIRPLANE , IT DID NOT LEAK A BIT. Or I would be fired.

Really, I am responsible for what I do in life and where I am in life. I told this manager ground pounder, ....quote.

THEN YOU FLY IT ! And I hung up the phone and called the president of the company and told him about the conversation and the weather situation and that I QUIT. If I do not like where I am working, I would find a new job.

Well, the president he asked when was the weather clearing, I told him ..the next morning.....I was not fired, and the next day was clear and visibility un restricted. All was well.

Tragic side story... That same stormy day, a small commuter airliner crashed into Julian Mountain, taking passengers from
San Diego out to Palm Springs. All on board will killed. Julian was on my intended route of flight.

Point being, if a person is ill, or the situation is dangerous, for the benefit of everyone including the company, stay home, or keep the plane on the ground .

Have I worked at jobs that were not quite what I expected. Yep, I have, I gave em go, but wound up leaving and finding other employment. I believe it is important to have a passion for what I work at, and enjoy what I do, and look forward to going to work every day.

As to an employer firing some one who is ill , Pretty simple.....Let that one person, take a few days or a week off due to virus or other illness, and keep the company operating and not wiping out the entire staff.
Do you talk a lot in person too? Over 6000 sick now that we know about. This is beyond the flu the masks and isolation don’t seem to be working

Old 01-29-2020, 11:34 PM

How about some actual facts, instead of blown up lies or misrepresentations of what is happening in Orange or L.A. County.

Two Cases of the cronovirus have been confirmed in Southern California.....not 6000. All of the patients were people who traveled to the Chinese City of Wuhan. That is the center of the outbreak.

One U.S. patient here was a man in his 50's and has continued in good condition . CDC were investigating contacts with the patient, and believe that there are limited contacts.

The CDC noted sunday, more than two dozen people in the U.S. have been suspected of having illness , most ended up being negative. Note the word NEGATIVE.

Two days ago, U.S. cases of actual having been confirmed with the virus raised to 5. NOT 6000.

Now, there have been 6000 cases, but that is WORLD WIDE, not in Orange County, L.A. County or even the entire U.S.A. the highest number are in China.

There are 165 cases of the virus UNDER INVESTIGATION in the U.S.A., in more than 2 dozen states, but the number of CONFIRMED CASES ARE FIVE.

However, that upper respiratory illness that has hit us in Orange County, people are out in public in droves, coughing away and spreading that disease.

That is real thoughtful of others. It is like a hacking and coughing convention and they are doing a great job passing it along to everyone they can.

I have not been out, since I have been taking care of myself. Close to total recovery. But, Erica is a retired supervising physician from L.A. County Health Dept. And, she
says , everywhere she goes, people are coughing . That is here in South Orange County. It is not the cornavirus. Pretty evident they are among those who have no respect for others.

The L.A. county health Dept recommends, for any virus : There are steps that every one can take to reduce the risk of getting sick including cornovirus.
* Remain at home when ill. * washing hands with soap and water, and * getting vacinated against the flu.

That is what we can do to reduce the risk, but when there are masses of indifferent infected people out there, in close proximity coughing, ...the chances of catching what ever
this is, is an actual situation. And yep, I had my flu shot, but this is not the flu.

I do talk and share a lot, because I have been fortunate to have lived one heck of an adventurous life, and actually have lots of real experiences to share. And it is perfectly OK
not to read or agree with any post.

E

Last edited by kauaidooley; 01-30-2020 at 12:28 AM..

Old 01-30-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:

Electric.

the large print said.

no one was fired.

Not everyone gets sick pay. Not everyone has money in the bank. Lots of people live paycheck to paycheck and can’t afford not to go in to their McJob. Not everyone is a doctor lawyer pilot engineer etc. And people do get fired for calling in sick. Ok maybe not the first time but it does happen when owners are A-holes. Nobody is going to fire a pilot for calling in sick. This isn’t about you. You don’t experience such firing because you have a higher more valued job thN some guy digging ditches. I personally have seen people get fired for calling in sick and most likely plenty of others have too, so there shouldn’t be anything shocking about it. Hell I was told to let people go when they called in sick for days because the owner was a dik head and said to do it. I worked for a guy as a general foreman once who made me his hatchet man. This guy was a Bosshole with all capital letters underlined and bolded. Hated every minute of working there. I eventually quit. Horrible working conditions with a high turn over

Old 01-31-2020, 10:37 AM

Electric,

Point, well taken. It must have been extremely hard to have been forced to fire people, especially when you may have known them and their families personally. Plus, you working for people that you rightfully did not respect. Tuff duty .

I never found that situation, but also I have held many other types of employment.

* High Explosives
* Production Control Coordinator
* Different sales positions
* Certified Personal Trainer
* U.S.C.G Merchant Marine Capt, instructing, charters, and also skippering boats world wide, etc.

Never got fired for calling in sick. But, when I called in, I was actually ill, and never took advantage.

Apparently there are other careers out there that have quite different management policies . I have just not encountered them.

Another point, is that for my two very long time passions, both flying, and the sailing, both of those were earned .

For flying, I went thru 2.5 years of dedication , training, work, study, testing , etc. Private, Commercial, Instrument, Flight Instructor and Multi- engine. Later, for air combat, more training by military fighter pilots.

For sailing and motor vessels, I had to have 720 days of documented sea time, just to sit for the U.S.C.G 100 ton
Merchant Marine Officer's License...that took 5 years of working as an instructor, and charter skipper.

Both the flying and the marine careers were concurrent . I absolutely love em both.

Point being, we all have the option of choosing where we put ourselves in life, and sometimes it takes work, study, and dedication , etc. to follow our own personal passions and goals.

I ask young people, do they have a passion in life, and I don't care what that passion is, but if they can dedicate themselves, thru school, study, training and experience, and love their chosen profession, ...life is going to go along pretty darned good.

Work will be fun, positive, and enjoyable and rewarding.

I share with the young people that they will be working for 30 years, give or a take, and going to work feeling good about every day, feels a whole lot better than hating the job or management on a daily basis.

If benefits are part of that dream, then they plan and find a company that provides, vacation time, sick time, health insurance, etc.

Many of the jobs that I had, there was no medical, or sick leave. If someone was ill, someone else stepped up to the plate and took up the slack. This was very infrequent no one was fired. But, if someone called in sick on a constant basis, ill or not, then, yes, they were letting the company down and could not be depended upon.

Good on you, for leaving that situation .

Old 02-07-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Electric,

Point, well taken. It must have been extremely hard to have been forced to fire people, especially when you may have known them and their families personally. Plus, you working for people that you rightfully did not respect. Tuff duty .

I never found that situation, but also I have held many other types of employment.

* High Explosives
* Production Control Coordinator
* Different sales positions
* Certified Personal Trainer
* U.S.C.G Merchant Marine Capt, instructing, charters, and also skippering boats world wide, etc.

Never got fired for calling in sick. But, when I called in, I was actually ill, and never took advantage.

Apparently there are other careers out there that have quite different management policies . I have just not encountered them.

Another point, is that for my two very long time passions, both flying, and the sailing, both of those were earned .

For flying, I went thru 2.5 years of dedication , training, work, study, testing , etc. Private, Commercial, Instrument, Flight Instructor and Multi- engine. Later, for air combat, more training by military fighter pilots.

For sailing and motor vessels, I had to have 720 days of documented sea time, just to sit for the U.S.C.G 100 ton
Merchant Marine Officer's License...that took 5 years of working as an instructor, and charter skipper.

Both the flying and the marine careers were concurrent . I absolutely love em both.

Point being, we all have the option of choosing where we put ourselves in life, and sometimes it takes work, study, and dedication , etc. to follow our own personal passions and goals.

I ask young people, do they have a passion in life, and I don't care what that passion is, but if they can dedicate themselves, thru school, study, training and experience, and love their chosen profession, ...life is going to go along pretty darned good.

Work will be fun, positive, and enjoyable and rewarding.

I share with the young people that they will be working for 30 years, give or a take, and going to work feeling good about every day, feels a whole lot better than hating the job or management on a daily basis.

If benefits are part of that dream, then they plan and find a company that provides, vacation time, sick time, health insurance, etc.

Many of the jobs that I had, there was no medical, or sick leave. If someone was ill, someone else stepped up to the plate and took up the slack. This was very infrequent no one was fired. But, if someone called in sick on a constant basis, ill or not, then, yes, they were letting the company down and could not be depended upon.

Good on you, for leaving that situation .
If you’ve never had to fire someone...be glad. It’s a very crappy feeling. I guess if you have a conscience it is. I never cared for such measures but when I had my company I had to fire two people. Both were fired for theft. One of my worse firings working for someone was this older man who was a perfectly good worker but he wasn’t that fast. I didn’t care because he did the work correctly the first time and there was no go back and fix his work. Showed up on time never called sick just a good solid worker. But the boss only saw we need fast. He didn’t understand fast means nothing if it’s wrong. When I had to let that man go I walked in the office later that week and handed my notice. (Took me a few days to,get worked up a d arrange a move) There was absolutely no reason to fire that man. What made it worse was he made me do it because I realized he was too much of a chicken turd to do it himself. I refused to work for him. He asked me to co e back to work for him a few months later but I declined. I ended up rehiring that guy at the other company I worked for. Later he came to work for me at my company. General foreman. Guy had 35 years experience in construction/electrical. He just drove around making sure jobs were progressing correctly and took care of issues. When I sold the company he was still there.

Back on subject I just read China is having some major issues right now. The doctor who discovered and blew the whistle on this virus just died and lots of people are getting sick there. 31,000 cases a d 650 people dead. Granted that’s not mich when influenza/flu and bathtub accidents kills more but a airborne contagion like this can easily start to overwhelm the normal medical structure we have set up. A few cases here and there can be handled. We start getting hundreds of cases popping up...we got problems. We all saw World War Z or read/watched The Stand by Steven King. I’m not talking zombies but I’m talking how a virus can quickly spread and overwhelm even first world countries.

Old 03-19-2020, 12:40 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
Why won't the OC Emergency Operations Center release which cities the current 42 positive cases live? If they are worried about "community spread" it would help to know which communities to avoid, wouldn't it?

42 Cases of Coronavirus in OC

My fear is that officials are endangering people by keeping this information secret because of some misguided application of political correctness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County