Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is better to live?
Newport Beach 11 50.00%
Laguna Beach 11 50.00%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 11:41 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I do have a few questions for you regarding Newport and Laguna Beach:

1. What parts of Newport Beach you would avoid?
2. What are your thoughts about the area around Temple Hills Drive/Rim Rock in Laguna Beach? It's a great area, however I am referring to the sense of community/civic involvement?
3. Have you or any family/friends build their own home? If so, I have a few questions regarding the construction process.
1. The parts of Newport I would personally avoid are the very crowded areas on the Balboa Peninsula and West Newport off Coast Highway. I've lived on the Peninsula and my parents owned rental properties there. Too busy, too crowded, too packed in. It was fine when I was 24.
2. Temple Hills Drive/Rim Rock in Laguna Beach is a nice area, I've had friends live in the area. I wouldn't say no to a house there, but the steep drive (Temple Hills Dr) is tough on brakes. Laguna Beach in general is very engaged civically. I am not sure the topography of Temple Hills Drive/Rim Rock is conducive to neighbors chatting over the fence with coffee.

3. No, but remodels yes. Like every coastal community in CA, the hassles are immense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 10:12 PM

4,506 posts, read 1,862,029 times
One community welcomes drug addicts and homelessness.

The other is fighting against them.

This will ultimately impact your quality of life the most.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:13 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
1. The parts of Newport I would personally avoid are the very crowded areas on the Balboa Peninsula and West Newport off Coast Highway. I've lived on the Peninsula and my parents owned rental properties there. Too busy, too crowded, too packed in. It was fine when I was 24.
2. Temple Hills Drive/Rim Rock in Laguna Beach is a nice area, I've had friends live in the area. I wouldn't say no to a house there, but the steep drive (Temple Hills Dr) is tough on brakes. Laguna Beach in general is very engaged civically. I am not sure the topography of Temple Hills Drive/Rim Rock is conducive to neighbors chatting over the fence with coffee.

3. No, but remodels yes. Like every coastal community in CA, the hassles are immense.
Thank you for the response. +1 from me.

I agree with you regarding Balboa and West Newport areas.

Besides the steep drive being tough on brakes, do you have any other 'uniquely' Laguna things to keep in mind? I have spent a few months in town here and there. Lived with a friend on Temple Hills, did an Airbnb on Crestview, and spent a wonderful week staying at the Montage. However none of those stays make me a local or have any localized knowledge.

I hope you post more often, you have great knowledge of Coastal OC!

Old 05-12-2020, 08:16 AM

585 posts, read 634,549 times
I agree with TheEnchanter.

1. I would avoid the peninsula and the inland area between Hoag and HB. I guess that's West Newport?
2. Laguna's steep hilly areas are popular for two main reasons: views, and privacy. Well, maybe not privacy, but not Coast Hwy or village-adjacent The village is the downtown.
3. Yes, my cousin just knocked down and built from scratch on the beach. Took 7 years! Massive bureaucratic red-tape (including the CA Coastal Commission and Historical Society issues) which equals massive expense. NOT fun. Gorgeous and stunning results, but phenomenal cost and headaches. YMMV.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
One community welcomes drug addicts and homelessness. The other is fighting against them.
No, both communities welcome drug addicts. It is just that one community only welcomes drug addicts if they drive Teslas.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
I agree with TheEnchanter.

1. I would avoid the peninsula and the inland area between Hoag and HB. I guess that's West Newport?
2. Laguna's steep hilly areas are popular for two main reasons: views, and privacy. Well, maybe not privacy, but not Coast Hwy or village-adjacent The village is the downtown.
3. Yes, my cousin just knocked down and built from scratch on the beach. Took 7 years! Massive bureaucratic red-tape (including the CA Coastal Commission and Historical Society issues) which equals massive expense. NOT fun. Gorgeous and stunning results, but phenomenal cost and headaches. YMMV.
Greats insights. I really the topography of Laguna, particularly on the higher elevations. I had been mulling various options (buy a condo, build a single family) however I haven't been able to pull the trigger because I see Southern CA real estate on a boom and bust cycle.

I have been hearing about the challenges related new construction in Laguna and they are definitely a deterrent. I understand why Laguna wants to be so careful with construction. Its a charming village that is already inundated with summer visitors and the last thing residents want to see is additional congestion/views being blocked.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I have been hearing about the challenges related new construction in Laguna and they are definitely a deterrent. I understand why Laguna wants to be so careful with construction. Its a charming village that is already inundated with summer visitors and the last thing residents want to see is additional congestion/views being blocked.
It's not Laguna Beach per se, it's first CA, which is bad in general, but coastal cities have to run a lot of their construction past the California Coastal Commission. It got so bad that people on Balboa Island would tear down the whole house except the chimney and call it a "remodel". Not sure if you can still do that or not.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
It's not Laguna Beach per se, it's first CA, which is bad in general, but coastal cities have to run a lot of their construction past the California Coastal Commission. It got so bad that people on Balboa Island would tear down the whole house except the chimney and call it a "remodel". Not sure if you can still do that or not.
I was aware of the Coastal Commission however didn't think of them as posing a significant impediment in the building process. That Balboa Island example indicates that ground up construction is no easy task. I wish there was a balance between new construction and preservation of the local community/neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County