Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2021, 01:54 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
There are houses in that range, both in LA and OC and some in nice areas. the problem is the commute to LA where you would work.
Are we better off just sucking it up in LA?

Which comes down to ... maybe just stay here then, lol.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 02:02 PM

925 posts, read 1,064,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
My co's current office is in 90066. The mailing address is Los Angeles but IDK where exactly it is, like what section of LA. I am unsure if I will stay @ this company forever either so I want to be near like other options to work. There are other co's I am interested in on Wilshire.

Does the train go near 90066? How long is commute?

Put your valuables away ... does that mean it's not safe?
The LA Metro is like any big city Metro, so just be careful and don’t flash your valuables. I’ve ridden the LA subway for years and never a bad experience. During normal times the Metro is packed with commuters from the suburbs coming in on Metrolink.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:08 PM

1,156 posts, read 940,137 times
The best bet is to rent someplace as close as possible to where you will be working. Take time to figure out the lay of the land and traffic flows. Choose wrong and you'll be sitting in the on-ramp queue for 30+ minutes before you even get the joy of sitting motionless on the freeway.

Mass transit exists but if you have to switch lines etc. you will spend even more time commuting. If you can live and work on the same line it might work.

I love LA and SoCal, but you really have to want to live here to make it worthwhile...the downsides are not trivial.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:27 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Are we better off just sucking it up in LA?

Which comes down to ... maybe just stay here then, lol.
Post 13 has good advice. If you are from out of the area, even if you have been to LA many times, living in an area is vastly different. There are good areas, but the commute will be the question. While I have lived in many areas of LA, it has been a while so I cannot make any specific recommendations. Hope fully others here can.

Old 03-12-2021, 12:06 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
I think renting in the Mar Vista, Palms area for awhile is a good idea. Your budget is low for nice areas and "green" (if that means big lots and space between houses). You might have to look in areas like Burbank, Santa Clarita, Van Nuys, Sherman Oaks, etc.

Old 03-12-2021, 07:56 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,144,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
There are houses in that range, both in LA and OC and some in nice areas. the problem is the commute to LA where you would work.
OP really needs to look at Redfin or Realtor and do a search because I don't see any SFH in "nice areas" in their price range. Right now $1 million will barely get you a decent house in an average area, if even that. You're really talking about $1.2 million+ Anything cheaper is a condo.

I lived in the area for years so I know what OP is talking about as far as not wanting to live in LA itself. But prices have skyrocketed. It's not just going to be the commute that is an issue but affordability.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:55 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
I would not live in Orange County and have a commute on the 405 to zip 90066 / Mar Vista area. Torrance is probably the furthest south I would look at living. There are also homes in your budget in Lawndale: https://www.redfin.com/CA/Lawndale/4...0/home/6556981

Old 03-12-2021, 10:14 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,331,765 times
You may want to consider the South Hills area of West Covina or Via Verde/Covina Hills. Lots of nice places and lots of greenery. All are a relatively short distance to the Covina Metrolink station, which runs a straight shot into Union Station. There, you can connect to the Expo Line to go west.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:35 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
I would not live in Orange County and have a commute on the 405 to zip 90066 / Mar Vista area. Torrance is probably the furthest south I would look at living. There are also homes in your budget in Lawndale: https://www.redfin.com/CA/Lawndale/4...0/home/6556981
Did it for over 20 years. What is being missed is the commute is not too bad until you get north of the Harbor Freeway. So the commute from Los Alamitos/Seal Beach is not at all bad until the Harbor. My wife and I both did the commute. Most of the time I used a corporate car pool van. All the members were VPs or one level below that.

Our location was in El Segundo convenient to the 405. The executives and senior techs mostly lived in two places - Palos Verde and Seal Beach/Los Alamitos area. Commute time for both was in the range of 1/2 to 1 hour. A couple of times a year the 405 would go south and we would leave the freeway and take 1 1/2 hours to get home.

My controller lived in Irvine but he had a special deal where he came in early and left early. He was in before 7AM and gone before 3PM. He would adopt his schedule if he was needed in the afternoon.

Old 03-12-2021, 11:23 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
You may want to consider the South Hills area of West Covina or Via Verde/Covina Hills. Lots of nice places and lots of greenery. All are a relatively short distance to the Covina Metrolink station, which runs a straight shot into Union Station. There, you can connect to the Expo Line to go west.
Would have to double connect. The Expo Line doesn't go to Union Station.

Would be 42 mins on Metrolink to Union Station -> connect to Metro B Line subway (6 minute ride) to 7th St/Metro Center station -> connect to Metro E / Expo line -> 42 mins to Bundy station -> connect to a bus or some form of transportation to 90066 zip code.

So roughly total time: 1.5 hours on trains + time on bus + time in car to West Covina station = 1.75 - 2 hours each way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County