Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:58 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
Why are people bitter about the name change? Were people bitter that the Rams were the LA Rams? It's the same thing in NY. The Giants and Jets play in New Jersey but are called NY. Anaheim and the rest of the cities in orange county are more or less LA suburbs and the owner wanted to capitalize on the global LA brand (at least that's what I read he was trying to do).
The heritage of the Angels was in Anaheim since 1967 (I think) whereas the heritage of the Rams, giants, and jets was in Los Angeles and new york. The Angels name changed from that of a place they played for 40 years to a place they haven't played in 40 years. The American League major league Angels used to play in Los Angeles at Wrigley Field and then Dodger Stadium (The Angels organization never called it Dodger Stadium; They called it Chavez Ravine. Prior to that, up until 1958, a minor league Los Angles Angeles - a different organization - played at Wrigley Field. Tha minor league Angels moved to Spokane.)

Last edited by Charles; 06-26-2008 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 12:14 PM

301 posts, read 1,511,346 times
If the Jets had a new owner who came from another part of the country, and he decided everyone should start referring to the team as the New York Jets of New Jersey, I'm sure their fans would be in an uproar too.

Orange County fans didn't care about the Los Angeles Rams retaining LA in the team name because that was a condition of them moving to Anaheim. And the same thing when Autry originally moved the Angels to Anaheim. We wouldn't get the teams if we didn't let them keep the names. And that's fine because that was the deal. Arte Moreno inherited a deal when he acquired the team from Disney. He didn't like it so he came up with something ridiculous. It's a mockery of our community.

Moreno is from Arizona. He's not from Orange County. If he was from Orange County he would know that we don't envy Los Angeles. We don't want Orange County to be anything like Los Angeles.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:22 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
regardless, moreno is doing something right, angels ticket sales have been in the top 5 of all teams in the mlb going on 5 years or something like that. as long as they are winning, he could switch the team name to the anaheim ***holes and people would still buy tickets.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:55 PM

916 posts, read 3,700,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDuke View Post
If the Jets had a new owner who came from another part of the country, and he decided everyone should start referring to the team as the New York Jets of New Jersey, I'm sure their fans would be in an uproar too.

Orange County fans didn't care about the Los Angeles Rams retaining LA in the team name because that was a condition of them moving to Anaheim. And the same thing when Autry originally moved the Angels to Anaheim. We wouldn't get the teams if we didn't let them keep the names. And that's fine because that was the deal. Arte Moreno inherited a deal when he acquired the team from Disney. He didn't like it so he came up with something ridiculous. It's a mockery of our community.

Moreno is from Arizona. He's not from Orange County. If he was from Orange County he would know that we don't envy Los Angeles. We don't want Orange County to be anything like Los Angeles.
Whether OC wants to be like LA or not is irrelevant. OC is in the greater LA area and despite a few recent tv shows is largely perceived as a suburb of LA. OC is starting to develop its own identity based on the Newport / Laguna culture, but in reality most of OC is not that and is really suburban sprawl under the sphere of the greater metro LA region. There just isn't that much different for example between Irvine and Arcadia. That is why he named the team the way he did. I think he wants a team that spans the entire LA region.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:28 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,439,815 times
^^
I agree with Naples, it really isn't that big a deal. It probably would sound better if he just dropped the Anaheim name completly rather than have the silly "of Anaheim" at the end. LA is the global name and Anaheim just isn't a distinctive city. Sure Anaheim has D-Land but outside of that it isn't well known for anything else. I would prefer the Anaheim name remain, but the decision ultimatly makes the location more obvious. I love our county, but even I realize the mother city of this region is Los Angeles.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:35 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDuke View Post
We don't want Orange County to be anything like Los Angeles.
Gangs? CHECK.... Traffic? CHECK.... Smog? CHECK.... Sprawl? CHECK.... Crime? CHECK.... Illegals? CHECK.... Wildfires? CHECK.... Rich snobs? CHECK.... BARRIOS/GHETTOS? CHECK....

Old 06-26-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Gangs? CHECK.... Traffic? CHECK.... Smog? CHECK.... Sprawl? CHECK.... Crime? CHECK.... Illegals? CHECK.... Wildfires? CHECK.... Rich snobs? CHECK.... BARRIOS/GHETTOS? CHECK....
lol

Old 06-30-2008, 06:31 PM

450 posts, read 1,906,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel187 View Post
Hey guys, I'm just curious to know how big the Anaheim Ducks are in Orange County. Is there a lot of partying and cars honking after the Ducks win a playoff game? Do you see a lot of Ducks car flags around town? Do you see people supporting the Ducks even when it's not game time?

Also, in terms of sports popularity, how do the Ducks compare with the Angels? Are the Angels a lot more intertwined with the Orange County community; and if one is more popular than the other, then by how much? Is there partying on the streets after the Angels win? Thanks.
Unfortunately, I would say the Ducks are not popular at all by pro sports standards. I have had Kings and Ducks tickets for several years -- the Kings have a more hockey feel in the arena, and there is a larger fan base historically. But even there, it doesn't extend too much beyond the arena, it seems.

The Ducks games tend to be more about loud music, bright spotlights, it doesn't really feel like hockey. Therefore, most of us who are hockey fans who have moved into SoCal don't really support the Ducks, as it's just not what we perceive as what hockey should be like. It's unfortunate, because there is a good base of hockey fans locally -- but seriously, at least 80% of the hockey fans I know in Orange County are fervently anti-Ducks for the reasons I listed. I suspect someone will argue those numbers, but being involved in the local hockey community as much as possible, that has been my experience. At first, I didn't understand, but over time, I have learned why it is that way.

When the Ducks won the cup, you barely noticed anything happened. It was unlike any other celebration I've experienced, in that there was virtually no celebration. It was stunning, saddening, and disappointing as a hockey fan (not necessairly a Ducks fan).

The Angels are more popular, but it's not a New York/Boston/Chicago style support. Many people go to games for a social outing -- they know a bit about the game, but 10 minutes after the game, their mood isn't much different whether they won or lost. I'd say there's a good 10-15,000 base of "die-hard" fans there most nights, the rest would fall under the casual fan category.

Even when the Angels won in 2002, it didn't compare to what I've experienced in other cities, but it was more significant than the Ducks' victory without question. With about 25% of MLB players coming from California, it seems everyone knows a major leaguer -- so familiarity with baseball is pretty high.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:08 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
The Angels are more popular, but it's not a New York/Boston/Chicago style support. Many people go to games for a social outing -- they know a bit about the game, but 10 minutes after the game, their mood isn't much different whether they won or lost. I'd say there's a good 10-15,000 base of "die-hard" fans there most nights, the rest would fall under the casual fan category.
Yep. Socal fans seem more entertainment oriented than sports oriented. Many are from the east coast or midwest so the SoCal teams are their "second favorite" team. Their kids root for the team dad roots for.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:40 PM

the die hard angel fan base seems to have grown exponentially since they won the world series. however, CA is filled with people who need instant gratification, so if the angels go back to their meager ways of the 90s, you'll probably see a lot of empty seats at the big A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County