Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 11:27 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
But keep in mind, what we consider high humidity is a walk in the park to people from the truly humid parts of the country. So Cal people complain when the RH is in the high 40s or the dew point approaches 60 degrees.
Come on Relative humidity regularly reaches above 80% on summer nights. I concede to you that dew points don't exceed 70 but 60+ dew points last for weeks in August. The nights can be the most uncomfortable. It cools down enough to turn off AC & open all the windows but the humidity can be oppressive & some leave AC on all night. Personally, I hate AC esp at night.

Inland Orange county is of-course much warmer than the coastline. Fullerton can be pretty uncomfortable on a summer day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 01:31 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Inland
Pros: Slightly less crowded.
Considerably less expensive
No tourists
More parks
Close to the foothills (if you are an outdoor enthusiast)
Generally better freeway access.
Generally better access to retail outlets (no Home Depot in beach communities).
In comparing some areas - less snobbery
Quieter (in some areas)
Your friends will still visit you. (They will not visit you at the beach because it is too hard to get there and there is no where to park. When we lived at the beach we had to go inland to visist our inland friends if we wanted to see them often).

Cons.
Heat
Smog
Santa Ana Winds
No walks on the beach after a hard day of work.
You will end up going to the beach only occaisionnaly.
You will not vacation at home.
You will ask yourself five times a month, "Would it have been better to live at the beach instead?"

Old 10-20-2008, 07:53 PM

516 posts, read 1,616,655 times
We would love to live near the beach, but it would be just too long a commute to Riverside. As it stands, I understand that the commute from YL would be in the range of 30 to 45 minutes.

Regarding heat--the capacity to even consider opening a window at night in August suggests a cool summer night compared to the muggy, oppressive heat and humidity of Philadelphia that time of year. Essentially, we sleep with the AC on from June through end of September, attempting to cool the house down to 70 degrees.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:37 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Species 8472 View Post
We would love to live near the beach, but it would be just too long a commute to Riverside. As it stands, I understand that the commute from YL would be in the range of 30 to 45 minutes.

Regarding heat--the capacity to even consider opening a window at night in August suggests a cool summer night compared to the muggy, oppressive heat and humidity of Philadelphia that time of year. Essentially, we sleep with the AC on from June through end of September, attempting to cool the house down to 70 degrees.
Cool nights even in August allows turning the AC off except on the warmest nights. In fact even on typically hot days\ 90F+ it can get too cool outside within a few hours after sunset. I want to hear the crickets all night not the hum of air conditioning. Could never live in Palm Springs.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:09 PM
tew

209 posts, read 633,385 times
Species 8472

Those cities you posted are really nice. They are a little of a drive from the beach but where isnt it a drive? My parents live in Santa Ana, 10 miles away from HB and it can take 30 mins or so to get there. Traffic is a fact where every your coming from. You can find a really nice house where you talked about.

Good luck

Old 12-11-2008, 11:58 PM

81 posts, read 367,311 times
Great area

Old 12-12-2008, 10:49 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,056,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Species 8472 View Post
Besides high housing costs (con) and good weather (pro), what are the pros and cons of living in the Inland OC areas of Yorba Linda or Anneheim Hills?
Versus where? Coastal OC?

Anaheim Hills and Yorba Linda are nice suburban towns, but I wouldn't call them "inland". I wouldn't really call them cheaper, either.

Inland is more like the IE: Riverside, Chino, etc. IMHO inland is where you go when you can't afford to live coastal. I can't afford to buy coastal, so we're moving out of CA. I'd rather live in a different state than live with crime, smog, and commute 2 hours to my office in Irvine each day.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:18 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Versus where? Coastal OC?

Anaheim Hills and Yorba Linda are nice suburban towns, but I wouldn't call them "inland". I wouldn't really call them cheaper, either.

Inland is more like the IE: Riverside, Chino, etc. IMHO inland is where you go when you can't afford to live coastal. I can't afford to buy coastal, so we're moving out of CA. I'd rather live in a different state than live with crime, smog, and commute 2 hours to my office in Irvine each day.
Yorba Linda and Anaheim Hills are about as inland as you get in OC. They definitely have a different climate than the coastal cities or near-coastal cities like Huntington Beach, Fountain Valley, or Costa Mesa. Its amazing how all of 15 miles can drive the daytime temperature up a good 10-15 degrees in the summer.

I'm with you on the idea of moving out of state vs. the IE. If I moved to the IE, I'd basically be restarting my business since moving out there would cut me off from 75% of my customers because of the distance. And there's no way my wife would want to spend her life in the 91 freeway driving back to OC for work no matter how cheap the housing is. The only advantage the IE has over another state is that its a car ride rather than a plan ride back to OC to see family.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:10 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,056,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Yorba Linda and Anaheim Hills are about as inland as you get in OC. They definitely have a different climate than the coastal cities or near-coastal cities like Huntington Beach, Fountain Valley, or Costa Mesa. Its amazing how all of 15 miles can drive the daytime temperature up a good 10-15 degrees in the summer.
You're right... I guess I just consider those areas the main part of OC, and the beach cities seperately... Whenever I hear "inland" I immediately think of the IE, which isn't OC at all... Hence, the OP. Sorry, it's been a long week!

Back to the original question... I live in inland OC (RSM) because it's a tiny bit cheaper, safer, and a real bedroom community. Nobody's up here unless they live here, so traffic's light, lots of community activities and peaceful. That being said, I don't mind areas like Laguna Niguel, but I can afford a newer construction where I am. The coast is pretty much too rich for my blood, unfortunately!

Old 01-10-2009, 07:42 PM

516 posts, read 1,616,655 times
Default Yorba Linda vs. Riverside or Corona

Would it be worthwhile to do a reverse commute from YL to Riverside, or just attempt to locate a family friendly neighborhood with good schools in either Riverside or Corona? Any opinions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County