Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 10:48 AM

224 posts, read 957,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Yes, another fire started up last night in the foothills of the east San Fernando valley near Sylmar due to 70mph winds [power lines spark]. Some wind-prone areas remained above 80F overnight & today will be hot everywhere! ugh
Pretty serious stuff up there. Apparently an entire trailer park got burned out.

111 top end homes burned in Montecito in Santa Barbara County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 02:28 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Bonner View Post
Good luck with the Dallas humidity. That is next to impossible to endure.
I have lived in the DFW area for a year now and love it. The humidity is not as bad as people think. The fall has been beautiful, we really enjoy having weather here. Maybe after 15-20 years it might feel not as desireable but for now we are in heaven. I guess living in OC so long we just needed a change. All I know is that we are glad we opted for change. I know how hard it is to make that kind of decision and it is not for everyone but we are happy. Hoping that we get a snow day like last year, it was real cool.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:30 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
I heard about that storm around Dallas - pouring down rain for 4 hours - that sounds delightful

Don't see any rain for SoCal any time soon. Today wasn't bad at all but this weekend will be too hot.
We only had about an hour but it was cool with all the thunder and lightning. Awesome!

Old 11-16-2008, 09:24 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Bonner View Post
Good luck with the Dallas humidity. That is next to impossible to endure.
It is horrible. It's one of the reasons we are moving out of Texas.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:35 PM

50 posts, read 145,339 times
Quote:

Is anyone else absolutely sick and tired of the warm weather and sun everyday? I feel like I'm living in the groundhog day movie, where everyday is the same! Seriously - this is insane. I know most of you Californian's absolutely worship the sun and think I'm crazy for even saying this - but this weather is enough to make someone want to pull their hair out! And to the people who are going to say " Just move already etc.." If you can finance that - by all means, I'll start packing tonight! I am praying and hoping for a cloudy or rainy day - just one! But I know that is too much to ask for
EXCACTLY why i am moving out of state. I have lived here for 19 years, i've hated it all my lfe and i'm planning on moving to WA or CO in a couple of months, and don't plan to ever come back to live here

Old 11-16-2008, 01:41 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Today is a really horrible day. Hot [near 90F] & really smoky. The winds have died down quite a bit but all the smoke from the fires in northern Orange county [Corona\ Brea\ Yorba Linda\ Anaheim Hills] has drifted northwest into the San Gabriel valley. I am closed up in my house with A/C going strong to keep smoke out & lower the temp.

This really is the worst weather we get in SoCal [very hot in autumn w/ santa ana winds that start fires]. Ugh!

Old 11-16-2008, 01:52 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:

This really is the worst weather we get in SoCal [very hot in autumn w/ santa ana winds that start fires]. Ugh!
It's miserable, dry, itchy weather that makes you edgy. Harder to sleep at night when it's windy. Every doorknob gives you a shock. And, the worst thing I remember was, now through December is when everyone starts catching a cold. You can't get the needed humidity. The hot dry weather is irritating on your respiratory system. I used to use two vaporizers in one bedroom.

Come Thanksgiving or christmas, you want the weather to be cold, to enjoy a football game on TV, with a fire going. Nope. The air conditioner is on.

All you want to do is immerse yourself in a calm, relaxing, cool foggy morning.

Last edited by Charles; 11-16-2008 at 02:01 PM..

Old 11-16-2008, 02:08 PM

50 posts, read 145,339 times
Quote:
Today is a really horrible day. Hot [near 90F] & really smoky. The winds have died down quite a bit but all the smoke from the fires in northern Orange county [Corona\ Brea\ Yorba Linda\ Anaheim Hills] has drifted northwest into the San Gabriel valley. I am closed up in my house with A/C going strong to keep smoke out & lower the temp.
Same thing here, i don't have smoke but the heat, it's so miserable, and i still have to go and take care of my horses sometime today, but it's just way to hot

Old 11-16-2008, 02:10 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It's miserable, dry, itchy weather that makes you edgy. Harder to sleep at night when it's windy. Every doorknob gives you a shock. And, the worst thing I remember was, now through December is when everyone starts catching a cold. You can't get the needed humidity. The hot dry weather is irritating on your respiratory system. I used to use two vaporizers in one bedroom.

All you want to do is immerse yourself in a calm, relaxing, cool foggy morning.
You have it exactly right, Charles! The humidity is currently 11%. If I touch my family members or our 5 cats you get & give a shock of static electricity. The house moans as the timber & wood walls bend while moisture is pulled right out of the wood. Plants need extra watering. The police departments report more domestic violence & drunk people. Allergies\ sinus problems flair up & your skin is so itchy & chapped. I hate having to sleep only under a sheet in November when you look forward to cool nights. But only the foothills stay hot at night while the lowlands are much cooler.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:23 AM

224 posts, read 957,285 times
Hmmmm...actually the evenings cool down nicely in south OC this time of year. The days have been warm, nut unless you are NW of the fires, the air has been crystal clear.

I run the Ridge Trail in Aliso-Woods Canyon to Top of the World in Laguna Beach each morning. For the past three days, the air has been lovely and warm at 5:30....the sunrises over the Santa Ana Mountains have produced a rich golden brilliant sun, and until the fires started along the 91, it was possible to see all the way up the coast past Humtington Beach, and Cataline and San Clemente Islands were clearly visible.

In spite of the fires, and unlike last year, we have had perfect air...no smoke, no ash, and no smell.

This sure beats the hell out of the 55 Novembers I spent in Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County