Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 02:53 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Commute at off-hrs....amazing how different are the driving capabilities of those who prefer to arrive in office by 6AM, vs the slobs in 8AM rush-hr
Avoid ever going to retail places, except early on wkend AMs before the slobs are even awake
One million percent true. I'd go from Thousand Oaks to Huntington Beach in 65 minutes leaving at 5AM.

Go to Home Depot right when they open on Saturdays and you'll have five people (three with hangovers) there ready to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 04:00 PM
tew

209 posts, read 633,600 times
This is true with lots of areas. I see it in CO but its scarier cause all the crappy drivers on the rode are driving big trucks.

I guess it doesn't help that lots of people living the Denver area are from CA (like me). I have to say Im not the worst driver but I did bring my OC driving style to CO.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:36 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tew View Post
This is true with lots of areas. I see it in CO but its scarier cause all the crappy drivers on the rode are driving big trucks.

I guess it doesn't help that lots of people living the Denver area are from CA (like me). I have to say Im not the worst driver but I did bring my OC driving style to CO.

If you haven't spent a winter in Colorado yet, get ready to see this (especially with the amount of non-native Coloradoans):

Old 11-22-2008, 07:59 PM

499 posts, read 2,157,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consider_Again View Post
I agree with a couple of the posts above. OC drivers are surprisingly considerate, all things considered. Compared with Houston, OC drivers are very good. The way I see driving in OC and LA is that there are just too many cars on the road and the probability of contacting a rude driver is higher due to concentration, but overall they are polite.

As far as driving fast, the hwys in SoCal are big and nice and well suited to driving “fast”. I have no issues with how fast people drive here. I just wish there were more instances when you could go faster instead of being packed in traffic going well below the speed limit.
I disagree. I lived in Orange County most of my life and I've lived in Houston for over a year.

Trying to get out of a parking lot and turn on to a busy street? Orange County drivers will leave you out to dry, and very rarely let you in.
A Texas driver will ALWAYS let you in.

People on the driveway here in Houston don't drive much differently than Orange County, never signal, speed up to get in front of you just to be able to slow back down: same as Orange County.
Difference here in Houston, though, I think, is that drivers here are far less confrontational and psychotic.

oh, I left out that here in Houston, driving the freeway is like a video game! you are cosntantly dodging trash and tire tread in your daily commute! And when I say trash, I don't mean paper bag, I mean a lawn chair or a 2x4, haha.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:54 PM
tew

209 posts, read 633,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If you haven't spent a winter in Colorado yet, get ready to see this (especially with the amount of non-native Coloradoans):

I have been here for over 2 years and our 1st one was in 06 with the big blizzard. The airport was closed down for 2 weeks and all that. I did see some people crashed out on the side of the rode but its all common sense. Dont drive fast and crazy when it snows or rains. I dont have much experience driving in any kind of weather but I am more slower and safer when its like that.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:26 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Drivers here are like pussycats compared to South Florida or New York or all of the east coast for that matter.

For example, people in NY will ride the center line, with no turn signal they will cut you off make a left turn from the straight lane then when you honk at them, they honk back at you and flip you off while driving away. In Miami you can't even drive to the local store without someone running a red light then when you flash your lights at them or honk they slow down in the middle of the intersection and say F*** y**!

OC drivers are like a walk in the park...and I am thankful for that because nothing is worse than rude drivers, even if they are good drivers.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:39 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Drivers here are like pussycats compared to South Florida or New York or all of the east coast for that matter.

For example, people in NY will ride the center line, with no turn signal they will cut you off make a left turn from the straight lane then when you honk at them, they honk back at you and flip you off while driving away. In Miami you can't even drive to the local store without someone running a red light then when you flash your lights at them or honk they slow down in the middle of the intersection and say F*** y**!

OC drivers are like a walk in the park...and I am thankful for that because nothing is worse than rude drivers, even if they are good drivers.
That is so funny & so true I lived in NYC for a few years & realized quickly that a pedestrian is fair game. Once I jay-walked because the nearest car was 100 feet away. The guy got angry because he thought I would slow him down & started beeping while I'm practically to the other side of the street already. He intentionally slows down to give me the finger when the cars behind him start honking at him. The driver stops his car & gives the finger to them. That's New York.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:12 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,530 times
It has more to do with being a Californian than anything else.

For some reason, people believe the Californian models of vehicles are equipped with brakes that are capable of stopping on a dime at 85mph, even on rain slicked roads.

I can't tell you how many times I would have loved to dutch brake an arrogant tailgating Ferrari/Lotus/Lamborghini/Porsche just to collect a quick $250k and whatever else my attorney could extort from them.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:49 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Charles, that picture is scary! I lived in Colorado Springs for three years but was lucky enough not to see anything like that.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:29 PM

51 posts, read 240,125 times
Very true. Especially the Asian drivers in and around OC. I seem to notice that Asians driving Camrys and Accords the worse drivers, since most of them are older immigrant drivers that aren't used to driving in America. One time, a older Vietnamese female driver hit my car and her response was "I no see his car". I'm Cambodian, but many people assumed I'm either Soamoan, Pacific Islander, or Native American so I get a few looks from East Asians, particulary East Asian women when I'm driving. I drive a late model Camaro, so seeing an Asian driving an American car is a rarity around these parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County