Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:50 PM

36 posts, read 221,037 times

Advertisements

I have been here 2 years.What gangs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 09:57 PM

92 posts, read 267,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5star View Post
I have been here 2 years.What gangs?
Go hang out on the corner of Beach Blvd. and Chapman Ave. for a while. It's amazing what you can see when you leave Laguna Beach every once in a while, LOL.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:49 AM

1 posts, read 6,033 times
Orange county in general does not really have a huge gang problem with the exception of anaheim and santa ana. I use to live in Santa Ana on spurgeon and 17th and that place was no joke you hear gun shots often. members of the local gang (LOGAN) were always seen out and about. You couldnt walk out there alone at night if so your guaranteed gonna get mugged unless they knew you from the neighborhood. as for the rest of the cities in orange county you should feel very safe but every place has its pros and cons.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:30 AM

1 posts, read 5,837 times
Santa Ana is not even close to having a similar crime rate to L.A. I was born in east long beach, raised in south central and compton and by experience it gets crackin on just about every couple block in compton. L.A is gang bang capital. From crenshaw and slauson,broadway,111th,37th,normandie, and so on. Danger is always among the people in los angeles but getting by becomes easier once you gain street smarts. Crips and bloods still have feuds it hasnt changed but its more of a race war now as it is also a turf war. I actually live in H.B my granma is from santa ana (the ghetto parts) and she tells me its nearly not as worse as L.A. Alot of gamgs in santa ama are peddy and small. The crime rate there is miniscule compared to the sunmy city. Compton, watts, east la, south la, norwalk, inglewood and hawthorne are places you should stay awayfrom if your not a local and dont know where your at. If your not affiliated then chances are you wont get tripped on but you will most likely without a doubt get robbed. Trust. Ive seem it happen manytimes. Ive actually seen a gang member from santa ana from the street gang 17th street go to lA n he didnt last very long before someone turned him from a big bad "O.C gang member" to a thin slice of lunch meat. Dont get a misconception tho. Dont go looking for trouble in purpose i find alot of people tryin to do that nowadays its homestly asking to get killed or robbed -____-.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:22 AM

815 posts, read 2,698,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
Also the black population in OC in rather small.

Wow.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:27 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irviine View Post
Orange county in general does not really have a huge gang problem with the exception of anaheim and santa ana. I use to live in Santa Ana on spurgeon and 17th and that place was no joke you hear gun shots often. members of the local gang (LOGAN) were always seen out and about. You couldn't walk out there alone at night if so your guaranteed gonna get mugged unless they knew you from the neighborhood. as for the rest of the cities in orange county you should feel very safe but every place has its pros and cons.
How long ago? The Logan members are mostly octogenarians now. They might beat someone with their walker or drool on them. Logan has been pretty much gone since the 1990s. They have a few players who paste Logan graffiti around at times, but the core gang members are too old to be a threat to anyone anymore. The Logan neighborhood is mostly gone and the Logan gang is gone with it. I would be surprised if there were still 8 teenagers living in the Logan neighborhood.

I have walked through that area (Spurgeon and 17th) at night pretty frequently and not been very nervous if I am on 17th street. I frequently walked or rode bikes with my kids to Norms on the next corner without any concerns other than common sense. We walked/rode to McDonalds down the street often as well. The north side of 17th is the outside edge of Park Santiago which is a pretty decent neighborhood. The south side is the border of French Court neighborhood which is pretty rough. The 7-11 right there attracts some unsavory characters, but I am not aware of any troube/robberies there recently. My guess is trouble happens at that 7-11 once in a while. It is a place where people with common sense stay away from. I have walked through French Court neighborhood late at night, but I was not real comfortable sometimes. During the daylight on the major streets I have ridden though French Court with kids without any issues or concerns. The cholos come out at night, like cockroaches.

I have walked through the Logan neighborhood after midnight on my way home from the train station frequently and usually see not one single person. Not even a drooling Logan street banger shuffling after me on his walker.

We lived about ten blocks from that location (Spurgeon and 17th) for nine years and i live about six blocks away from there when I am in California for the past six additional years - French Park in the front yard, French Court in the back yard. (the past Fifteen years altogether) During that time we heard gunshots twice. Once some kids shot at a house a few blocks away and once people were shooting guns in the air on new years eve. There were three other incidents where guns were fired that could be heard from there, but we did not hear them or were not home. One was over on the freeway ramp (Santiago and 17th) we did not hear it, a gang kid got shot in the buttocks by some kids getting on the freeway. I heard there was a kid shot in French Park fairly recently I was not there at the time. Certainly more gunfire than you ever want to hear or hear about, but certainly not "often" It was rare, and a huge deal when it happened. Given the fact you mentioned seeing Logan members being active and hearing gunshots "often" it appears you are taking about the 1970s or 1980s. It has not been like that in decades. In 1995 or 1996 Santa Ana was the safest city in the US in the FBI statistics. It declined somewhat since then, but it is no where near back to the 70s and 80s conditions.

For a while, Santa Ana had chased many of the gangs out to other cities, but now their police gang unit is down to something like one person and the gangs have slowly come back.

There are gangs all over Orange County. The larger gangs are mostly in Anaheim, Orange, Santa Ana, Fullerton, Westminister, Garden Grove, SJC, Huntington Beach. There are little gangs in Irvine. Mostly wannabes, skin heads and they tend to be pretty small. F-troop used to have 10,000 members in Orange County. OVC was pretty good size too for a while.

While the gangs may live mostly in the lower income areas, they hang out at the Spectrum, at the beaches, at the Block, in Costa Mesa, some times at Irvine park and Whiting ranch. they have cars and they go all over the place.

Gang bangers mess with each other 90% of the time. Do not join a gang, do not buy or sell drugs, sex, or guns and avoid gang bangers and their hangouts and you are not likely to have any trouble with them. In many neighborhoods, including French Park, as soon as people see any sign of bangers, they call the police. Look closely enough and you will see something that kinda sorta looks like a gun, report it looks like one of them has a gun, and they will get attention.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:05 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmoney View Post
Gangs are no where to be found in OC except maybe Anaheim, Santa Ana (and gang members in surrounds are just scatterred spillovers). Anaheim and Santa Ana are nothing to LA.

Gangs are everywhere in LA. i lived there for four years- never felt safe.
Actually, a majority of cities in Orange County DO have gangs.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:12 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman420 View Post
Hawaiian Gardens and Stanton both had major gang problems when I lived in the area. Ever hear of Crow Village? Those guys would kill you for looking at them wrong. Then again when you are 10 miles from Compton what do you expect?

South OC has its share of gang problems as well. You have the asians (AKP), the mexicans (SJC), and the white guys (various San Clemente gangs). The South OC gangs do seem to be less violent overall, but murders still do occur.
Hawaiian Gardens is in LA County, actually.

And there's a little more space between Compton and Stanton than 10 miles--closer to 20.

And how can you blame what goes on in Stanton on Compton? There are places closer to Compton than that, but they don't those issues to that extent.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:10 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Default Tiger Woods

Tiger Woods is Orange County only real African - American gang banger.
tiger woods - Google Search

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlWXUxipLv0

Old 05-30-2013, 10:52 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Having grown up in OC and lived there 25 plus year. The west side of Costa Mesa, Costa Mexico as we call it, have some low level bangers. Santa Ana has big time gang problems and always has. When I was going to school in the 80's it was F troop that ran SA. Garden Grove and Westminister have Asian banger some wannbe Triad types. Anaheim has gang problems, and crime problems in general. You should have seen the cockroaches scurry when Disney leveled the seedy area which is now California Adventure. Orange and Buena Park have some Latino bangers for sure.

How do I know this? I lived in most of these cities or worked, and I worked with gang members in OC for about a year.

And yes LA County is much worse. My brother was trying out for LAPD and he went on ride alongs. He said a Sgt would run random checks on RTD buses because some bangers would ride the bus across town to commit crimes refuse to pay and this sgt , no BS, my brother saw grab a banger by his fro when he refused to pay or show bus pass and gave him the finger, the cop dragged him off the bus by his fro! LOL. Karma love it.

But Santa Ana is the worst by far for crime and gangsters. Oh Stanton has some too but they are mostly Buena Park types.

You could not pay me to move back to Santa Ana for a free house unless it's in the historic district by the Orange Mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County