Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:16 AM

2 posts, read 8,562 times

Advertisements

Soo...

My wife and I are thinking of trying to make the best of our situation and want to buy a house that is (relatively) equa-distant commute for both of us which is to Irvine and Pasadena. She has a business that is unmovable and I need to stay at my company for at least 3-5 years.

We seriously considered South Corona for the price but from what I hear on other sites and here it would be hell commute for me and for her (besides the heat, yada, yada) Correct?

Coastal cities such as Long Beach/HB/Seal Beach are ok for me (Irvine) but would be hell for her?

There are the only options that we can think of:

1) House in Yorba Linda/Brea - I take the 241 S toll. She goes north to 201W. (She's willing to take a hit on commute since I've been driving to Irvine from Pasadena for the last 2 years).

2) Get something in Fullerton - Both take the Metro opposite ways but she has to take another to Pasadena,

3) West Coastal City living (HB/LB/SB) as above

4) Say screw it and both get apartments in our respective cities and commute 2x a week to each other's place and on weekends.

We are relatively younger, will not have children, and saved enough to afford a mid-size home somewhere like YB.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 09:52 AM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLA View Post
Soo...

4) Say screw it and both get apartments in our respective cities and commute 2x a week to each other's place and on weekends.
Don't consider this unless you want to join the 50% of marriages that end in a divorce. Not that you will end up divorced for sure, but living apart puts a major hole in a marriage.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:54 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
haiku to the commute marriage
the glue is so very weak.
are they married? they think they are
marital sleepwalkers

Old 04-08-2009, 09:54 AM

916 posts, read 3,700,321 times
Long Beach is great. And if you're willing to do mass transit, the blue line goes to Pasadena.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:20 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
Long Beach is great. And if you're willing to do mass transit, the blue line goes to Pasadena.
Actually, the Blue line goes to 7th/Metro station downtown which requires a transfer to the Red line to Union Station then Gold Line to Pasadena. If her office isn't walking distance from any of the Gold Line stations, then she would need a bus as well. That would take approx 2 hours commuting just with the three trains alone.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:23 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLA View Post
Soo...

My wife and I are thinking of trying to make the best of our situation and want to buy a house that is (relatively) equa-distant commute for both of us which is to Irvine and Pasadena. She has a business that is unmovable and I need to stay at my company for at least 3-5 years.

We seriously considered South Corona for the price but from what I hear on other sites and here it would be hell commute for me and for her (besides the heat, yada, yada) Correct?

Coastal cities such as Long Beach/HB/Seal Beach are ok for me (Irvine) but would be hell for her?

There are the only options that we can think of:

1) House in Yorba Linda/Brea - I take the 241 S toll. She goes north to 201W. (She's willing to take a hit on commute since I've been driving to Irvine from Pasadena for the last 2 years).

2) Get something in Fullerton - Both take the Metro opposite ways but she has to take another to Pasadena,

3) West Coastal City living (HB/LB/SB) as above

We are relatively younger, will not have children, and saved enough to afford a mid-size home somewhere like YB.

What do you all think?
The 2nd option isn't too bad as the Metrolink trip is approx 35 minutes to Union then she can transfer to the Gold Line which would take her between 20-30 minutes depending upon which station in Pasadena she gets off at. This is very doable especially if her office is walking distance from any of the Gold Line Stations.

Metrolink: http://www.metrolinktrains.com/schedules/ (She can use either 91 or Orange County Lines to get to Union Station)
Gold Line: http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bu...images/804.pdf

Old 04-08-2009, 11:29 AM

916 posts, read 3,700,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Actually, the Blue line goes to 7th/Metro station downtown which requires a transfer to the Red line to Union Station then Gold Line to Pasadena. If her office isn't walking distance from any of the Gold Line stations, then she would need a bus as well. That would take approx 2 hours commuting just with the three trains alone.
thanks for correcting me. didn't realize you had to connect in downtown.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:34 AM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times
I'm thinking Fullerton is a good spot too.

Both of you can ride Metrolink or you could actually drive from Fullerton to Irvine in about 25-45 minutes (depending on traffic).

You wife could take Metrolink to Union and connect to the Gold Line. Hopefully her work isn't too far from a light rail station though or a bus goes close enough to her work.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 8,562 times
[quote=msconnie73;8244927]The 2nd option isn't too bad as the Metrolink trip is approx 35 minutes to Union then she can transfer to the Gold Line which would take her between 20-30 minutes depending upon which station in Pasadena she gets off at. This is very doable especially if her office is walking distance from any of the Gold Line Stations.

I think she's only 5-10 min. walk from one of the stations (business is near Los Robles/Del Mar Ave.)

This sounds like it could work out. Thanks!

Old 04-10-2009, 11:28 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I think the Gold Line trip is going to be closer to the 30 minute range at best (and possibly a little longer); the train slows down a lot going through some of the residential neighborhoods. Still, it's a nice ride (nice, clean trains, and she should be guaranteed a seat going in that direction - I used to get lots of reading done during my morning commutes!), and it sounds like she's open to a possible 30 min+ Gold Line ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County