Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 01:27 AM

7 posts, read 21,004 times

Advertisements

My partner and I (+ 3 boys) are moving to Orange County from Australia this year and would love some local advice about a couple of things.

How hard is it to rent a single family home with a small dog?

We've done some research and are not sure of distances between areas. Husband will be working in Orange. We like character homes, like old towne orange, but also like being close to the beach & ocean. places like Aliso Viejo seem to have some lovely houses with big yards but we're not sure of distances to Orange, or what it is like to live there.

we'd like to rent first with a view to buy in around 6 months. budget around 500-550k. main preference is for a character home with large yard in an area that has good/ distinguished or blue ribbon public schools, (elementary at the moment). in terms of connecting with like-minded people, would like to be in a liberal area, artistic, alternative, college-type area.

how far (time wise) is Orange from the beach?
are there other areas that have character homes?

we are all looking forward to being there and are very excited about the move. thank you for your responses!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 01:49 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Considering your desire for liberal/artistic/alternative/college + near beach you'd be better suited in some place like Long Beach instead. Commute to Orange would be 30min-1hr depending on location of job, location of home in Long Beach(it's a big city), and work schedule. There are some nice "character" homes in the Long Beach coastal districts, mainly known for 20's era Craftsman homes and such. East Long Beach has the better schools and has 50s era homes which have distiguished themselves quite well over the years with the different remodeling touches people put on their homes.

Anyways, use California School Performance Maps to check for schools and find a city you can research. Most of the beach cities in your range will lean conservative in voting, but the people also adopt a more surfer mentality of not caring who or what you are as long as you aren't bothering them.

As far as Aliso, I find it interesting that you mention Aliso as an area with character. Most people around here don't find that true, but I imagine there are parts of Aliso where that may be the case. Aliso(and many of the cities in Orange County) is a wonderful place to raise children

Old 04-26-2009, 03:58 AM

Thank you so much for such a quick reply! It is hard to put into words what we are after in terms of an area to live as there is so much on offer in Orange County. Your comments have been very helpful, especially the link to the school performance maps. So far, we'd been looking at individual websites or greatschools.net so thanks. Aliso appealed to us because of the nature. Some houses advertised online looked to have a great blend of inside/outside living - something that we have here in Sydney. Albeit, they are just small pics on a realestate website! thank you once more for all of your help - it is most welcoming.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:24 AM

25 posts, read 68,362 times
First off, I think you will really like Orange County. I have known a couple Aussies who lived in Southern California and they liked it alot. But I noticed that you are looking for "a large yard". Compared to the rest of the United States the yards in Southern California are very small. I'm just trying to say that you may need to redifine what you think of as "large".

Also I do know a couple with two large dogs who rent a single family home. They had to call many places before finding one that would take their dogs but I think it will be easier for you with a smaller dog.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:16 PM

301 posts, read 1,510,727 times
If you can live without a beach nearby, you might look into Claremont, about a half hour north of OC. It has a group of small colleges, moderate politics, 35k population, old/historic downtown, commuter rail station, very good schools, lots a varied housing... victorian, craftsman bungalows, ranch-style, mid-century modern, and new modern lofts.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:58 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
Another inland area you may want to look at is Fullerton. Has many older, non-tract built houses (that's about as clos to "character" you get here) and I've heard good things about some of the high schools in that area as well, so I think the earlier grades maybe ok as well, but you best check that out yourself. Town is home to the OC's CSU campus as well. Not neccasarily very liberal or artsy, but would meet some of your criteria and be close to hubby's work.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:33 PM

2 posts, read 6,652 times
I dont know what part of Oz you are from, but if I had my choice I would be on a Quantas jet now going back to my hometown of Melbourne. I should have never left. I lived in Tassie as well, and miss the quiet, uncrowded way of life. Here once people know you are Australians they say the same thing over and over again-even now after all these years. "You talk funny", "say something in Australian" " You drive on the WRONG side of the road... and other such phrases. If you come up here for a few years, it would be a wonderful experience, for you and children, but I would never consider a permenent move away from family. I hope you have at least a half million US $, cause thats what its going to take to get into a decent house with 3 boys!

Cheers,

Old 05-10-2009, 03:51 AM

Thanks a lot for your responses! I've been looking at as many websites I can on Aliso Viejo, comparing schools. I would love a character home but the houses there are also very nice. A big appeal is the nature that surrounds the Aliso Viejo area.

What is Lake Forest like? I've noticed that it is inbetween (sort of) Orange & Laguna area. Are the schools good there?

The feedback on the dog situation is v. helpful - thanks for that.

I've heard bits here and there about Claremont so I'll start to check that out.

Appreciate all your time & efforts in helping us out with this info. We are all so excited about our move!

Old 05-10-2009, 03:20 PM

916 posts, read 3,698,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrtgypsy View Post
Thanks a lot for your responses! I've been looking at as many websites I can on Aliso Viejo, comparing schools. I would love a character home but the houses there are also very nice. A big appeal is the nature that surrounds the Aliso Viejo area.

What is Lake Forest like? I've noticed that it is inbetween (sort of) Orange & Laguna area. Are the schools good there?

The feedback on the dog situation is v. helpful - thanks for that.

I've heard bits here and there about Claremont so I'll start to check that out.

Appreciate all your time & efforts in helping us out with this info. We are all so excited about our move!

do not consider Aliso or any other inland city for that matter. What you are looking for based on your post is a coastal city. Given your need for indoor / outdoor living, good schools, and character in homes you should be in the belmont shore/naples area of Long beach. It's exactly what you're looking for.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:48 PM

67 posts, read 107,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilEd View Post
I dont know what part of Oz you are from, but if I had my choice I would be on a Quantas jet now going back to my hometown of Melbourne. I should have never left. I lived in Tassie as well, and miss the quiet, uncrowded way of life. Here once people know you are Australians they say the same thing over and over again-even now after all these years. "You talk funny", "say something in Australian" " You drive on the WRONG side of the road... and other such phrases. If you come up here for a few years, it would be a wonderful experience, for you and children, but I would never consider a permenent move away from family. I hope you have at least a half million US $, cause thats what its going to take to get into a decent house with 3 boys!

Cheers,
Oh you should have moved to Orlando. It's a "beautiful' town, with TONS to do and the most friendly people, you'll ever meet. Noones a stranger! Lots of Brits here. They love it. The homes are beyond georgous. I'm talking new and anywhere from $240k to 280k! Georgous, pristine landscaping too. I lived in Socal, twice, never get to know anybody, isolated society, boooooring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County