Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 02:40 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times

Advertisements

The parts of Tustin near Santa Ana feel like Anaheim although the better parts. Ditto with Brea and Placentia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 04:12 PM

108 posts, read 290,711 times
As a whole, Brea and Placentia are nice to live in. Same with Anaheim Hills (completely different than Anacrime).
Tustin not as much, but not as bad as Anacrime.
Anacrime is the worst of the above-mentioned cities, even if you live in East Anacrime.
I have a friend who lives in this so called nicer area of Anacrime, and his neighbors are not exactly the best of people (drug dealer across the street living inside a big, nice middle-class looking house, man chases a woman down the street with a knife a few months ago, ghetto birds (police helicopters) always shining their spotlight on the area at night).
Avoid Anaheim at all costs unless you live in the newer condos / apartments around Angel Stadium.

Last edited by jayolm; 11-09-2012 at 04:34 PM..

Old 11-09-2012, 04:58 PM

13 posts, read 53,760 times
very true ..currently i live close to where 5 and 91 meet ... overall .. Anaheim is not a safe / decent place to live. i moved from N.CA .. what a mistake ...going to move out from S.CA soon ... getting tired of bad traffic / virtually no public transportation ........ plus the prop. 30 passed ... Congratulation, CA ... the highest tax in the nation with low quality of education

Old 11-09-2012, 11:41 PM

185 posts, read 511,922 times
The part of Anaheim that you mentioned is not going to be nice and clean and beautiful, but overall the city is not really dangerous. There are pockets of gang activity in certain apartment complexes and the overall neighborhood is predominately working class Hispanic, but not unsafe when compared to LA or Long Beach. I went to high school in Anaheim, and although junky, it is not a horrible place.

Brea and Tustin are very nice!

Placentia is mostly nice, with the exception being the area around the intersection of Chapman Av and Placentia Ave.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:50 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Cowboys Fan View Post
The part of Anaheim that you mentioned is not going to be nice and clean and beautiful, but overall the city is not really dangerous. There are pockets of gang activity in certain apartment complexes and the overall neighborhood is predominately working class Hispanic, but not unsafe when compared to LA or Long Beach. I went to high school in Anaheim, and although junky, it is not a horrible place.

Brea and Tustin are very nice!

Placentia is mostly nice, with the exception being the area around the intersection of Chapman Av and Placentia Ave.
This. Closest and most balanced view.

Plus, the best part of Anaheim comes when you leave the main drags and venture into the neighborhoods. The main drags of Anaheim's westside don't look all that great, but much of the rest is just street after street of three-to-four-bedroom houses of various levels; most middling, some pretty good. Downtown and the near west side (Westmont) are even better, and quite a bit of the south side is good too, and let's not forget about the hill/hill adjacent zips 92807 and 92808.

The previous posters spoke of THEIR own feelings about Anaheim (but saying everything but Disneyland and the Platinum Triangle (around Angel Stadium) is a complete hole is quite a bit of an exaggeration). Your "mileage may vary". Some have had bad experiences there; some have had friends that had bad experiences there; a few just make lightning fast observations about things and then use that to dramatize. I am a resident and regular walker around the city and while there are places here I don't casually stroll at certain times, a bulletproof vest is not necessary wear here.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 12,746 times
I would not personally live in Anaheim. Kind of scummy. I landed in the Tustin area a year ago. I absolutely love the location. I have discovered pockets within Tustin to avoid like in all areas. Newport Ave, south of the I-5 beyond Mitchell ave begins to get pretty scummy from Walnut on including Walnut Obviously the closer you venture towards Santa Ana gets bad, just avoid Santa Ana completely as it is the OC pit equivalent to Watts.

I don;t have kids but I see the kids walking from School all the time and if I had a kid I would not send them to Tustin High School or Broadmoore elementary. I live closer to the airport so I had to get use to the airplanes flying over every 1/2 hour starting at 7:00am until 10:00pm. Now that I am used to that I am quit happy here. The downtown area is lovely and gives you that small hometown feel. It is clean too. I also lived in Orange which was nice but mostly college students. My rent is affordable and the area is clean and nice. The best part is the location to everything which I love.

For those who can afford it the better areas in my opinion since I do property management are, Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Laguna Hills, Rancho Santa Margarita. But they are not as convenient to the freeways as Tustin. Irvine is ok, but it does not offer that small hometown feel to me. I do know that the schools in Irvine rank very high in the state of Ca. Again private schools are obviously the best solution if you can afford it.

I have been here a year and I do not know any of my neighbors. Actually I prefer not to know them, as I am not too keen on knowing people who live near me as a precaution for myself since I live alone. This is a big area and don;t trust people in general. Even though it feels like a small town it is a city blended with other cities. Everyone is correct about the Tustin Police as they are all over which makes me feel much safer. I have not had one issue and I do not foresee myself moving anytime soon.

When deciding where to live please consider your commute as that plays a huge factor in your quality of life here. The more time you spend on the congested freeways, the less time you are enjoying your life. Try to move as close as you can to where you are working and every area has good pockets in which to live in. You will not completely avoid scum, as they are everywhere. But you can reduce it by researching each area you are considering and finding the gem within the good pocket.

I also lived for a year in Sherman Oaks, LA County and I did not like it at all. Too crowded, no parking and the surrounding towns like Van Nuys, are no better than Santa Ana, yuck!

I found my Gem in Tustin.....Good luck!

Old 11-14-2012, 11:37 AM

192 posts, read 826,642 times
M

Old 11-14-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkiktd View Post
M
Accidentally hit a key when browsing on my mobile lol.

I live in Anaheim in the Colony area and I enjoy living here. My neighbors are also homeowners. One is a couple about our age (professor and med tech, I think). Across the street are a Hispanic family who bought a few months before us. They keep their house pristine on the outside and make my grass look sad in comparison. lol. On the other side of us is a quiet white family.

I enjoy living in the Colony and don't feel unsafe. The only thing might be tagging from the high school kids, but if you call it in or use the MyAnaheim app, they'll come out and clean it up for free within 24 hrs. If you take a picture of the tagging each time and they catch the kid responsible, every picture on file is another count against them for prosecution.

Yes, the helicopters are out every night. Most of the time they are patrolling, at least when they are over my house. Sure it's a little noisy (you live in a city that has nightly fireworks too) but it doesn't make me feel safe. If I see anything that looks suspicious, I call the non emergency number and within a few minutes, a cop car rolls by checking out my concerns.

A few weeks ago people were going too fast out of a stopsign or doing burnouts. Reported that and they stationed a cop there to slow people down at the intersection.

Is it a super nice, no crime area? Probably not, but the response by the city to citizen's concerns is great and the police force is there for the residents who care about the community. I maybe felt unsafe the first week I lived there (due to the broad generalizations of people on this forum), but I have loved it ever since.

Sorry for the stray M! :P

Old 11-14-2012, 12:03 PM

Ugh, I meant the choppers don't make me feel unsafe. After all, they're watching my neighborhood for me.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:06 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,838,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkiktd View Post
M
MMMM...M&M's
Brought to you by the letter M
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County