Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:25 PM

243 posts, read 343,202 times

Advertisements

What are your experiences with HOAs in Orange County? Has this gone downhill in the last year with housing crash.

I have a small condo in Laguna Hills and I'll be blunt, my HOA and President are a lying nightmare. Is this normal or have people just lost their minds in this economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 11:09 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
It is not just OC, HOA's have been hurt badly by the economy and yes there some snakes out there "managing" these associations.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:05 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Ladera delinquency rate on HOA payments at 5 percent | schlegel, ladera, homeowner, board, association - News - OCRegister.com

from

//www.city-data.com/forum/orang...era-ranch.html

Old 08-27-2009, 12:17 PM

I pay $365.00 a month in HOA fees for a small one bedroom condo in Laguna Hills. Yesterday I went outside and cleaned up over 40 cigarette butts from the bushes around my unit and the creek, 2 cigarette lighters, multiple doggie poop bags that people just throw in the bushes etc.

I also have a girl who has let her dog go the the bathroom right outside her balcony and below my kitchen window for months and she does not pick up after it. I've written multiple letters to the HOA and there are still piles of dog poop out there. This community has a dog park too.

A lot of people who lost their big homes have moved into the smaller condos and brought their big pets that really need their yards back.

My HOA is worthless~

Old 08-27-2009, 12:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbirdoc View Post

I also have a girl who has let her dog go the the bathroom right outside her balcony and below my kitchen window for months and she does not pick up after it.
Gosh, I could think of so many ways to send this chick a "message".

Old 08-27-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Gosh, I could think of so many ways to send this chick a "message".

My condo is a small condo but I've had fun remodeling it and turning a 30 year old condo into a brand new looking one. I've done nothing but add value to this community. It also comes with a view of a creek and has a lot of wildlife that I love.

My view is now dog poop along the creek and dead grass. The HOA actually has rules written against walking your dog along the creek to use the bathroom because it becomes run off into the creek.

There are many other issues with this community too. It could be a lot nicer than it is and for what people are paying for. The HOA President actually called me a "retard" the other day. I am not kidding. The maturity level around Quail Creek is about a -10. The selfishness factor is about a +100.

I cannot wait move somewhere else now and make this property a rental income property for my family.

good times and thoughtful people.....not~

Imageshack - 3660835954cc37c0ec6cb

Old 08-27-2009, 03:07 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
The HOA fees for condos are just baffling. Before we moved to Illinois, we considered buying a bank-owned condo in Lake Forest. It was near the house we rented, and we didn't want to make our kids change schools. The HOA dues for this condo were over $350 per month ... for what? A plain, mediocre expanse of grass and some shabby ivy along the walkways.

My sister-in-law's dues for her condo (same city, before she moved) were nearly $400. They had a pool, minimal landscaping ... and several hundred units. They were talking about raising the dues so they could paint the place when she finally fled. What a racket.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
The HOA fees for condos are just baffling. Before we moved to Illinois, we considered buying a bank-owned condo in Lake Forest. It was near the house we rented, and we didn't want to make our kids change schools. The HOA dues for this condo were over $350 per month ... for what? A plain, mediocre expanse of grass and some shabby ivy along the walkways.

My sister-in-law's dues for her condo (same city, before she moved) were nearly $400. They had a pool, minimal landscaping ... and several hundred units. They were talking about raising the dues so they could paint the place when she finally fled. What a racket.

The company hired to manage this place gets paid @ $60,000.00 a year alone. This community takes in @ $117,000.00 each month in HOA fees for 306 units.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:48 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,273 times
In Fountain Valley, Concord Place charges $265.00 a month and it will rise soon. In the last 8 years the board has assessed $ 4000.00 for a roof (20 homes have leaky roofs, no warrenty, the roofing company went out of business) $2000.00 to termite the complex(a resident sued to halt the termiting and Concord Place lost $15,000), and even more assessments to paint. HOA's can assess at will beware. This neighborhood is divided and has animostity due to the lawsuit and the assessments. BEWARE of the HOA

Old 09-02-2009, 07:52 AM

9 posts, read 43,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbirdoc View Post
I pay $365.00 a month in HOA fees for a small one bedroom condo in Laguna Hills. Yesterday I went outside and cleaned up over 40 cigarette butts from the bushes around my unit and the creek, 2 cigarette lighters, multiple doggie poop bags that people just throw in the bushes etc.

I also have a girl who has let her dog go the the bathroom right outside her balcony and below my kitchen window for months and she does not pick up after it. I've written multiple letters to the HOA and there are still piles of dog poop out there. This community has a dog park too.

A lot of people who lost their big homes have moved into the smaller condos and brought their big pets that really need their yards back.

My HOA is worthless~
closed mouth dont get fed. get on it in physical form.. not through letters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County