Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 07:30 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,531,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandthee View Post
I hope I don't offend anyone, but what is portrayed on Bravo I'm hoping is a joke. We will be in OC for a few years with my husband's job and I look forward to having friendships that will be lasting. Please tell be there are nice, normal folks in Orange County
After 10 years of intense psychiatric therapy, 3 husbands, and lots of plastic surgery, I have been told that I'm nice and normal.....

Honestly, don't believe all the ridiculous stuff you see on tv.....I assume you mean the Housewives of Orange County or Laguna Beach Teenagers or whatever they're called.....I have never seen those shows and never plan to.....what a waste of time!

I live in Laguna Niguel, which is in S. Orange County. Today I repaired my lawn that was damaged by crows, planted seeds in the bare areas, raked leaves, got a lot of gunk (branches and leaves), out of the ice cold pool so that the filter wouldn't get damaged, (we had a lot of wind and rain yesterday), ran and picked up refills on prescriptions, got some goodies at Costco, bought some more Miracle Grow for my lawn at Home Depot, (man, 2.5 cubic yards is heavy!), washed dishes, made coffee, did some laundry, fixed dinner, talked on the phone a time or two, helped my kid with a college application, took a walk with my husband, wrapped a gift, on and on. I am a housewife and I know plenty of women just like me who do the same things I do every day. They clean house, buy groceries, go to jobs and take their kids to school. Is that normal enough for you?

P.S. I have never seen a psychiatrist, have one nice husband and have had no plastic surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 08:54 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
P.S. I have never seen a psychiatrist, have one nice husband and have had no plastic surgery.

You must be poor.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:49 AM

25 posts, read 53,422 times
well I will be moving to OC and Im definately normal! well at least I like to think so!
Although Im british and the Norm is when friends come over, the first thing is always! 'do you want a cup of tea?'

Old 12-10-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You must be poor.
Oh! I forgot to say that I bought and replaced a toilet seat last week.....I was so proud of mynormalself!

Old 12-10-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAbound2010 View Post
well I will be moving to OC and Im definately normal! well at least I like to think so!
Although Im british and the Norm is when friends come over, the first thing is always! 'do you want a cup of tea?'
You will meet lots of people who drink coffee, tea and/or tequila!

Old 12-11-2009, 08:21 AM

25 posts, read 53,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
You will meet lots of people who drink coffee, tea and/or tequila!
lol I know Americas the nation of coffee drinkers! lol I dont mind the Tequila either, I could replace the cream with the Tequila in the coffee! lol

Old 12-11-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAbound2010 View Post
lol I know Americas the nation of coffee drinkers! lol I dont mind the Tequila either, I could replace the cream with the Tequila in the coffee! lol
Or Bailey's!

Old 12-16-2009, 03:40 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,132,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meandthee View Post
I hope I don't offend anyone, but what is portrayed on Bravo I'm hoping is a joke. We will be in OC for a few years with my husband's job and I look forward to having friendships that will be lasting. Please tell be there are nice, normal folks in Orange County
What I would say is that OC californians are hyper materialistic. I think many of them dont even realize it because they live and breathe the culture. My wife is from there and most of her friends just simply love to shop, for most of them it is their hobby.

We have had a huge influx of so. californians recently (texas). Our ex-neighbor moved into a neighborhood that has a lot of them. One of them recently told her at a party that she really should get a boob job because she would look so much better. The californian then told the husband, "and it only costs around 5K so it isnt too expensive". She then offered up a recommendation for her plastic surgeon.

The # of gucci, louis vuitton etc purses that you see, BMW's,mercedes, etc is nothing short of astonishing.

That being said you can find great people everywhere. So while in the midwest I would characterize 5-10% as being materialistic in so.cal it might be 50%.

Materialism = Image consciousness

1) judging people by their material goods
2) focusing on what material goods you have for the purpose of being judged
3) seeking to acquire the type of material goods that create an image
clothes
house
car
jewelry
plastic surgery especially for young teenagers
cell phones/ipods/etc for children

Old 12-16-2009, 03:48 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
One of them recently told her at a party that she really should get a boob job because she would look so much better. The californian then told the husband, "and it only costs around 5K so it isnt too expensive". She then offered up a recommendation for her plastic surgeon.

The # of gucci, louis vuitton etc purses that you see, BMW's,mercedes, etc is nothing short of astonishing.
Nothing wrong with this.

What's wrong with wanting to look good? Five thousand dollars is relative. If these guys are earning $250K a year, is it really too expensive? Also, if a person gets $5K worth of satisfaction out of it regardless of their income, what's wrong with that?

What's wrong with designer handbags and German cars?

Old 12-16-2009, 05:15 PM

9,867 posts, read 7,740,106 times
There's nothing wrong with it unless they look down on the 99% of normal people who wouldn't even consider paying money for fake body parts. I always think it's amusing how the gals with the fake boobs wouldn't be caught dead carrying a fake purse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County