Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 02:40 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
When you send your child to a school with a high majority of English Language Learners, the education gets watered down. Your English speaking student will be treated as if he is an ELL student. This is not a race issue, it is a language issue. I believe this gentleman wants to do what is best for his child.
You're right, the issue is not a race issue. But the OP does have race issues:
"Wake up white America we will soon run out of places to run."

'white America'?
America is full of non-whites that are not ELLs. But notice that the OP doesn't care if they have "places to run".

The OP doesn't sound like he's simply looking for a place where everyone is fluent in English and doesn't have an accent that offends the OP - it sounds pretty clearly like the OP wants a place that's free of non-whites. After all, why else would he lament "white America" not having "places to run"?

(ignoring for a moment that many Hispanic Americans are white, a fact that probably doesn't interest the OP, assuming he is even aware of it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 02:41 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
^^^ Exactly.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:44 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
It must be humiliating to be a white American with all of the opportunity in this country rolled out to you. Yet unable to afford not living amongst poor Mexican immigrants. Even us Americans of Mexican heritage don't send our kids to those schools.
A couple of points:

1) Not everyone, regardless of race, aspires to an ultra-high paying job. Some actually do the work they do because they love it and find it fulfilling.

2) In California, especially, it becomes increasingly difficult to find a place that isn't overrun with immigrants, legal or otherwise from any one of several countries, or many of them, when they're willing to live four or more families to a house or eight or 10 to an apartment.

3) Runaway immigration, both legal and illegal, is destroyiong this country's character, traditions and language. I've lived in three other countries and never once have I heard, "For English press 2."

Old 02-19-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
A couple of points:

1) Not everyone, regardless of race, aspires to an ultra-high paying job. Some actually do the work they do because they love it and find it fulfilling.

2) In California, especially, it becomes increasingly difficult to find a place that isn't overrun with immigrants, legal or otherwise from any one of several countries, or many of them, when they're willing to live four or more families to a house or eight or 10 to an apartment.

3) Runaway immigration, both legal and illegal, is destroyiong this country's character, traditions and language. I've lived in three other countries and never once have I heard, "For English press 2."
1) Then deal with the area you can afford. White people complain about the same thing in other regions, but it is the black people's fault instead of Mexicans.

2+3) I am not going to argue immigration here, there is a forum for that.

This country has always had regions where fresh immigrants congregate. If you don't want that, then don't live there. I couldn't even imagine what some of you would do in the NYC Region where there are hundreds of languages being spoken by numerous groups of fresh immigrants. You would probably not want to live there, so don't. Fly away airlifter...

p.s. This is probably a troll thread.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:09 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airlift123 View Post
Well time again to get out of Dodge. Can't send my kids to school in my own Country. Or used to be my Country. The schools have now approached 99.9 percent Mexican Nationals. Time to pack up and go. Sad my once Country no more. See ya. Call me racist or what ever I'am not liveing in TJ. Wake up white America we will soon run out of places to run.
Very simplistic (though heart-felt, I'm sure) post.

I wonder if everyone that is not "white" to this person is "Mexican".

Where are you going, by the way? (If you are not a complete and total TROLL)

(Total Rubbish of On-Line Loser)

Harsh, but trolls don't care.

Last edited by mrsltd; 02-19-2010 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: add on

Old 02-19-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
1) Then deal with the area you can afford. White people complain about the same thing in other regions, but it is the black people's fault instead of Mexicans.

2+3) I am not going to argue immigration here, there is a forum for that.

This country has always had regions where fresh immigrants congregate. If you don't want that, then don't live there. I couldn't even imagine what some of you would do in the NYC Region where there are hundreds of languages being spoken by numerous groups of fresh immigrants. You would probably not want to live there, so don't. Fly away airlifter...

p.s. This is probably a troll thread.
1) I did and I'm aware of that.

2 & 3) Fine! Good dodge!

I know. I don't. My family is from NY. I don't.

p.s. Why, because you don't agree or approve of it?

Old 02-19-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
1) I did and I'm aware of that.

2 & 3) Fine! Good dodge!

I know. I don't. My family is from NY. I don't.

p.s. Why, because you don't agree or approve of it?
lines:
1-3) lol

4) Because the OP hasn't been back here, didn't provide any specific detail, and it is controversial. Time will tell.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
4) Because the OP hasn't been back here, didn't provide any specific detail, and it is controversial. Time will tell.
I agree! Makes ya wonder. Yes it will.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 02-19-2010 at 05:03 PM..

Old 02-19-2010, 08:06 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times
Quote:
This country has always had regions where fresh immigrants congregate.
Yep. And people have always wrung their hands and insisted it would be the downfall of America. One need only to look to 1751, when one Benjamin Franklin published a pamphlet outlining the perils of the immigration of Germans to the colonies:

"Why should the Palatine Boors [Germans] be suffered to swarm into our Settlements, and by herding together establish their Language and Manners to the Exclusion of ours? Why should Pennsylvania, founded by the English, become a Colony of Aliens, who will shortly be so numerous as to Germanize us instead of our Anglifying them, and will never adopt our Languages or Customs, any more than they can acquire our Complexion."

For some reason, every generation is so ignorant of the past that they think now everything is different, now somehow immigrants won't learn English. But the pattern has been consistent throughout American history - first generations sometimes learn English, and if they do it is usually heavily accented English; second generations are typically bilingual, speaking the language of their parents at home and speaking English otherwise; by the third generation, the grandchildren of immigrants speak only English.

Apparently Franklin figured out not too long after publishing his pamphlet that he was wrong. Good for him. At least he was willing to open his eyes and learn. What's amusing is that Franklin actually saw the Germans as a different 'color' than English. Apparently Germans weren't quite pasty-white enough for Ben! I guess that makes me multi-racial, since I'm a NW European mongrel with both English and German in me. And here I thought I was just a generic white guy!

In the year 1900, 600,000 American elementary school students (when the population of the entire country was only ~76,000,000) were taught in German-only or German-English bilingual schools. And, just like now, there were endless hand-wringers warning of the demise of American "culture". And before long, in a precursor to the "Freedom Fries" nuttery of the 21st Century, they were renaming sauerkraut "liberty cabbage". Predictably, the valiant guardians of American "culture" saw the imminent Germanification of all things good, decent and American.

Where once Germans, Italians and Irish were on the verge of destroying American "culture" (whatever that is), now it's Hispanics. A few decades from now, Hispanics will seem as universally mainstream and American as people now see the aforementioned Germans, Italians and Irish. And I'm sure some other ethnic group will be the new boogeyman du jour.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:55 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
adding on to what voyageur posted, i've always wondered how new yorkers felt when when they were bombarded with huge amounts of immigrants during that city's history. first it was the irish, then it was the italians and a whole slew of other europeans. i'm certain there a lot of hatred, prejudice and racism and claims that said immigrants would be the downfall of america. we just happen to be living through another huge immigration phase in our country's history. we'll get through it just like we have every other time and hopefully end up stronger because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County