Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 08:51 AM

5 posts, read 12,910 times

Advertisements

Most of the posts I've found are 2-4 years old. I'm amidst a choice between LaGrande Or. and St.George Utah as a nurse.

I like seasonal weather and more importantly a lack of humidity so I believe either way I'm winning. My questions are this:

Is the noise issue still a problem as has been previously mentioned?
What areas to live are best to be "away" from the noise? Is there a small town nearby with a more peaceful atmosphere? Im coming from a town of under 1500...

My family is not mormon. We are believers in Christ but not "denomination" affliated. We go where we are comfortable- typically indpnt Bible churches- with friendly people and fellowship. Are there independent churchs that have a casual atmosphere?
We are don't claim a political party or support/not support anything except showing love so a community with "strong" views one way or the other doesnt really matter to us.

Are people as 'clickish' as some of the posts state?
We have lived all over and are easy to adapt but we'd also love to be in a place where there are other couples and families we share common interests with. Our family does alot of Mtn Biking, hiking, rock-climbing, back-packing ect... Is there a local bike shop or outdoor store? Are laid back peaceful people accepted?

Also, if anyone has recently moved there with children and can give an opinion about the high-school or local grade schools that would be wonderful. My children are 8 and 12; a boy and girl of each age.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 11:11 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Well, some of the things you ask won't have changed over time...

LaGrande definitely has seasonal weather...you'll get all four season...sometimes on the same day. It's in a mountain valley at a little over 2,700 feet elevation so the weather there can change rapidly (I once was snowed on while at Eastern Oregon University in July). It's not humid.

There are some smaller towns nearby...Elgin, Imbler, Island City, Union, Cove. Personally, if I had kids still of school age, I'd put them in LaGrande over Imbler--Union and Cove does have a good rep. LaGrande does have a university there and most college towns have public school systems a cut or two above average. They are able to benefit from university facilities, staff, programs, etc. The university has the only teacher's ed program in Eastern Oregon and as such there is a very good supply of well qualified teachers. In fact, I taught one summer in a lab school there...the program was ahead of it's time...of course, at that time.

There are a number of "independent" churches...not everyone is mormon.

It's a great place to be for outdoor activities...and yes, there are outdoor stores (like Blue Mountain Sports, as well as fly fishing shops, archery and gun shops that also carry outdoor equipment, or vice-versa and even a bird-watching store) and good bookstores, some art galleries, and other pretty decent shops. There's at least one mountain bike shop (The Mountain Works).

Yes, of course, you'll find other "laid-back, peaceful people". Shoot, a town that has a stores named Earth 'N' Book, The Edge Gallery and Coffee Lounge, Faerie Beads and Treasures, Power House Plus Hydroponics and Back to Nature, tells you there are at least a couple of "peaceful" people. There's also places like Elgin Boot and Saddle---the place is big enough for all kinds.

There is a (to me) surprising number good restaurants for a town it's size.

I know this doesn't answer all your questions, but hope it helps. I don't live there now, but still have to go back often. I'm not from there, but never had any problem getting along or feeling accepted. I guess it can be as "clique-y" as any town it's size...as all places are to some extent or another.

Personally, I'd pick LaGrande in a heartbeat over St. George...it's a whole lot prettier, and it's not as hot. It doesn't rain as much as western Oregon...but seeing your name, maybe you like desert. If so, you don't have to go too far from LaGrande to see plenty of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: