Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 01:15 PM

9 posts, read 15,315 times

Advertisements

Hi there my name is Pamela
I know ya'll are tired of the question but please reply because I need help.
I live in Michigan I need to move I want to come to Oregon it looks so beautiful and peaceful.
I will tell you a little about my situation first.
Ok here it goes. I am married and my husband is abusive so I have to get out of here. My plan is to leave on 10/8/2010 that is when he will be out of town for a week. {he does'nt know I'm leaving}
I"m on social security disability so I have steady income, not much but it's better than nothing.
I also have a section 8 rental voucher that will help me pay rent.
All my family is here in michigan and Indiana I will have to leave them behind even my 2 children who are 23&21.
I have no idea how I'm going to do this exspecially moving exspences, so if anyone knows of anyone or place that can help with moving exspences please let me know. {I know I'm dreaming}
Enough of that now for what I want {besides a miracle lol}

I want a small town
Safe town
Friendly town were you get to know your neighbors and make friends.
I really want ocean-mountains-forest but if I had to rule one out I would say ocean.
I hate snow I don't mind rain.
I want to be able to take walks in the neighbor hood with my 2 dogs.
Rent a house at least 2 br I also need a fenced in yard long term rental not over $750.00 a month I hope lower.
Oh yea my vehicle died so I don't have a vehical { I will have to figure something out on that.}

I think thats about it---lol
So help me pick a town please I can't come before hand to check it out so I need ya'll to help!!!!

Thank you so much for reading this and helping me.
Pamela

P.S. My e-mail is pamelad0123@hotmail.com}

Last edited by pamelad0123; 08-06-2010 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: fix e-mail address
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 11:31 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
I would get a divorce and stay where you are. Also stay away from bums like your current hubby. The only thing you will find here is a few dozen women in the same situation to share your story with. Sorry and sounds mean spirited, but it is reality. I would try Aneta North Dakota.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:56 PM

122 posts, read 337,628 times
Well, its easier being a man. You can walk away with whatever happens to be in your pockets. I've done it. You were born with nothing, leaving your past behind is so much easier when you don't bring any baggage. Your plan is bringing too much. When you are ready to walk out the door with plastic and a little cash, train ticket in hand, then get back to us.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:12 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,814 times
First of all, I have much empathy toward your situation. It disheartens me that people are put in these kinds of situations.

----------------------------------------

I would advise you to go to a shelter, the police, file for divorce. You really need to settle this problem before you move on or it WILL follow you and/or you will always be looking over your shoulder. Once you get separated/ a divorce/report the crimes to the authorities, then take steps on moving out of dodge.

It is MOST important for you to be safe. Running away is not the safest solution. If you run away and he is really serious about finding you (which would be easy considering you have now posted this on the internet and are on social security disability), you may end up, to put it bluntly, dead.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:12 PM

639 posts, read 1,599,159 times
It doesn't matter if you're a man or a woman - traveling light is the key to success.

Give up the dogs (I know it sounds mean) and you'll have a much, much easier move. That way you can rent a room in a house if you need to and just start over. Easy-peasy. It's trying for a 2 bedroom house with a fenced in yard that's going to make it hard. And a word of advice: rent a mailbox so he won't know your street address...just in case he starts looking.

This is your life and mental stability we're talking about here - don't wait for October, just go. My gosh, didn't you see "What's Love Got To Do With It"?

Old 08-07-2010, 03:03 PM

478 posts, read 785,011 times
If you think that moving is the answer (not saying I agree), Corvallis is a small, safe, friendly town. I'm sad to hear of your situation. Best of luck to you!! (Since that's all I can offer)

Old 08-07-2010, 03:08 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
It does seem that in the small town I mentioned in your other thread, there are dog friendly rentals available. I also think that rentals aren't too hard to find due to people moving from the area due to the economy; that might be true in other smaller towns around the state as well. I don't know much about Section 8, whether it's transferable from one state to another, etc., but I think you won't be eligible for more than a 1 bedroom since there is only one of you.

What you do have going for you is that you won't need to consider employment prospects when contemplating your move. But the others are right; it's going to be tough for you to get moved and set up in a new place with the dogs, especially without a vehicle. I do know of a small local motel with good rates that seems to be dog friendly; can send you the info if you like.

The friendliness or lack of such among the people of Oregon was mentioned in the other thread; I wonder if that isn't more specific to the urban areas. I was born and grew up in Oregon and never had problems making friends or felt that people were standoffish, but that's my own subjective "normal", I suppose. I think that if you just get involved in whatever community you end up in, you'll be fine.

You might, though, consider finding the dogs a temporary home until you get set up.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:20 PM

218 posts, read 720,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonYeti View Post
If you think that moving is the answer (not saying I agree), Corvallis is a small, safe, friendly town. I'm sad to hear of your situation. Best of luck to you!! (Since that's all I can offer)
I second that! Corvallis is a great, safe, friendly, small town!!

Old 08-07-2010, 03:26 PM

639 posts, read 1,599,159 times
yeah, Corvallis! It's nice.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:09 PM

42 posts, read 141,768 times
Corvallis is a nice town but it is also an expensive town. I agree with the other posters who say to get out now. Personally I think you should find a shelter or a women's center that will help you get back on your feet.

Sorry you are going through this. Hopefully your husband dont read this forum because he might then recognize your email. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon