Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 12:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,460 times

Advertisements

I am three months shy of my 18th birthday. I dont want to wait to move out. I live in Oregon and wanna move to Colorado to live with my fiancé. Is there any laws against this? Can I be sent home or arrested? And can my fiancé get in trouble with the law for me living with him? We haven't committed any crimes, just want to live together against my parents consent...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 01:52 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,277,930 times
Wait the three months. It goes by so fast. If you do run away with him, since you are a minor, and if he is over 18, he can get in trouble with the law. And you both really do not want that. When you are 18, you are a legal adult and then you can go and live with him with no repercussions.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:32 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Except the financial repercussions.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:20 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,673,340 times
You can be sent home. He can be thown in prison for several years. It's a federal crime to transport a minor across state lines. Just keep your head down until you turn 18.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:23 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,002 times
Wait the three months...

Old 02-04-2011, 01:50 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,240 times
I cannot offer legal advice to you, I am not a lawyer.

It seems logical to me, that if you were to "leave home" of your own volition, much as minors under the law often do,
but write up some sort of declaration, stating that you intend to remove yourself from the household of your own free will,
you are waiving any responsibilities that your parents would normally assume for your welfare or your wellbeing. If you go to
your fiance, make clear in your statement, that you have not been coerced nor solicited in any manner, written, verbally or
otherwise. If you do move in with your fiance, I don't think that you'll be in any legal trouble, but as I said before, I'm no lawyer,
just someone who sees your situation in the light of logical, practical thought. At 18, anyone would want to have their feet, in
the same place that their heart is.

What is your parent's objection????

Old 02-04-2011, 04:21 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,673,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
I cannot offer legal advice to you, I am not a lawyer.

It seems logical to me, that if you were to "leave home" of your own volition, much as minors under the law often do, [deletia]
You should have stopped while you were ahead. It is possible to become an emancipated minor in Oregon after age 16.

http://www.jrplaw.org/documents/eman...y%20oregon.pdf

How this would apply to Colorado law or Federal law is a topic for an experienced attorney. I am sure the process could not be completed in 3 months.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:59 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
I was going to write that you should be strong, tell your parents you're leaving the day after your birthday and make your plans, say goodbye to friends, save money and pack your things. Then I remembered back too many years and if I had done all of that my parents would have done everything in their power to foil my plans.

I think moving before your birthday will just make things more difficult legally for you and your fiance. How and if you tell your parents will shape your future relationship with them and if they ever accept your fiance.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:17 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,558,027 times
If you aren't mature enough to wait three months you don't have the maturity for marriage. If he won't wait for you he will be a poor husband.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:34 AM

247 posts, read 744,907 times
I have to agree. Wait.

Have you graduated HS yet? This is a must. At the very least get a GED... Use your remaining three months wisely and plan. Work, save money, study (either for school or the GED) and go out to Colorado prepared.

Also. As someone who has both run away young and gotten married young (the two were not connected) please give your actions an immense about of thought and whatever you do... do not act rashly. I did. On both accounts.

I wish you the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon