Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:26 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,031 times

Advertisements

Ironically, you might find a more foresty feel within the city of Portland than you would in some of the more rural areas. Where urban firefighters can get to you quickly, you can landscape your yard however you want (though you won't have tree branches hanging over your roof if you have half the brain God gave a salamander). If you're in a rural wildfire mitigation zone where calling 911 doesn't bring a 5 min. response, however, you may be required by the county to maintain a clear perimeter of 100 ft. or more around your home as a wildfire buffer. Also, most land that is forested will be zoned as resource land and you wouldn't be able to get a building permit to build on it. Residentially zoned property almost never has late-seral forest on it.

Don't worry. No one in northwestern Oregon suffers from tree deprivation. You'll have your fill of arborescent friends wherever you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 07:52 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
Don't worry. No one in northwestern Oregon suffers from tree deprivation. You'll have your fill of arborescent friends wherever you go.
Isn't that the truth! People from other regions have no idea...

Old 03-18-2011, 06:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
Ironically, you might find a more foresty feel within the city of Portland than you would in some of the more rural areas. Where urban firefighters can get to you quickly, you can landscape your yard however you want (though you won't have tree branches hanging over your roof if you have half the brain God gave a salamander). If you're in a rural wildfire mitigation zone where calling 911 doesn't bring a 5 min. response, however, you may be required by the county to maintain a clear perimeter of 100 ft. or more around your home as a wildfire buffer. Also, most land that is forested will be zoned as resource land and you wouldn't be able to get a building permit to build on it. Residentially zoned property almost never has late-seral forest on it.

Brenda, you do come up with the best comments. I couldn't rep you again so I had to post and tell you how much I enjoy your posts.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:42 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Oy vey, when Boise decided to call themselves the City of Trees I looked around and thought "Eh? Where are they?" Some of us with an edgy attitude would call them shrubs.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:29 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Oy vey, when Boise decided to call themselves the City of Trees I looked around and thought "Eh? Where are they?" Some of us with an edgy attitude would call them shrubs.
And I thought the same thing about Sacramento, also the "City of Trees"...

Old 03-23-2011, 01:14 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
I'd pass on Gresham for what you want.

Sandy is a good target.

Might also look at Shadybrook further NE of the city than Forest Park. Not sure about prices there.

Or Beaver Creek (south of Oregon City) or beyond.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:31 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post

Seriously, Was in Oklahoma a few years ago. The people I were with drove into a valley along a small river filled with short (5-6 foot) trees. They both sighed and started gabbing about how gorgeous it was.

I didn't say anything, but flipped my laptop on, and pulled up iPhoto to show them the view of Mount Hood from the deck of the place I was living in at the time. Along with the hundreds of pictures I've taken around the state.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:51 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Along that same line, when I was just starting my career in NYC a beau took me on a drive to West Point. Along the way he commented about nearby mountains. I looked around and in all innocence asked, "Where?" He pointed and I said, "Oh, we build houses on those hills."

Old 03-31-2011, 06:48 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,449 times
"And I thought the same thing about Sacramento, also the "City of Trees"... "

Actually, old Sacramento around downtown has wonderful, huge trees. It's the burbs - which were oak savannah and grassland - that are pretty treeless - or, rather, don't have many old trees. When Sacramento was young, in pre-A/C days, trees WERE your A/C.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:46 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
"And I thought the same thing about Sacramento, also the "City of Trees"... "

Actually, old Sacramento around downtown has wonderful, huge trees. It's the burbs - which were oak savannah and grassland - that are pretty treeless - or, rather, don't have many old trees. When Sacramento was young, in pre-A/C days, trees WERE your A/C.
Old Sacramento/downtown-ish Sac is the only part of I've been to... And that's still what I thought about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon