Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 11:28 AM

5 posts, read 6,366 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm considering a move to Eastern Oregon amongst other places i.e. Colorado and Idaho for semi and then full retirement. Currently I live in Northern California, I'm republican/conservative and really, I'm looking for a place where I can settle down with a few hundred acres and enjoy the latter years of my life. I love fishing, hunting and generally being in the outdoors. I don't want to change anyones agenda, diversify anyones community and generally, fit in to whatever goes on in the area. I'm all for going to local events and rodeos, taking in the town for what it has to offer. I've been looking into the Union area for the most part and I'm curious what the hunting and fishing is like there. I think I have read in other forums that the wind can be significant in this area? Waking up in the morning, drinking a cup of coffee and watching my cows get fat and shooting a few arrows into a target after my chore list is done is right up my alley. Any suggestions on the area? From what I have seen, the area is beautiful and the seasonal weather is not an issue. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 12:00 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Northeast Oregon is probably perfect for what you are looking for. But don't restrict your search to Union county. You would probably want to be around the Wallowa-Whitman Nation Forest which means Baker and Wallowa counties, also.
File:Wallowa-Whitman National Forest map.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wallowa-Whitman National Forest- Home

Old 04-06-2011, 12:42 PM

5 posts, read 6,366 times
OK thanks. I appreciate that. It's a decision that's quite a ways off in my future but never hurts to plan and research ahead!

Old 04-06-2011, 02:21 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
You must swear not to share the Blue Mountains, Wallowa Lake or the Snake River Canyon with anyone but family. We don't want to repeat Coeur d'Alene.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:40 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Try to spot yourself somewhere near medical care. As you age, it will become more important. The reason so many rural people die younger than urban people is that the nearest hospital can be hours away.

You start to think of things like that about the time you realize that sometime in the next 25 years you will be dead, and sooner than that you won't have the physical ability to relocate anywhere but a rest home.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:04 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Good point. I suggest a ranchette closer to La Grande as a home base (Union is only ~14 miles away). Those roads can be treacherous in the winter. An easy drive to the activities he wants, large enough town to provide most necessary medical services.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:50 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Maybe a bit further East to Ontario. I'm not sure how the medical facilities are though.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:04 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
At times, thar is some reel good crappie, catfish, bass fishin' at Brownlee Res, & holes in the Snake River.

The record Kokanee was caught at Wallowa Lake.

Checkout www.oregonfishingforum.com some reel friendly, good folks.

Have a Fantastic ADventure, Bro...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon