Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 11:13 AM

70 posts, read 103,918 times

Advertisements

[quote=Yeah I've been there;32356688]Are they friendly toward liberal Portlanders?

I'd love to live there (Harney County) . Buy some land, homestead it, small-scale farming and ranching and hunting (yes I said hunting. I'm a left-wing pro-gun Democrat ).

All solar-powered, off-grid, self-sustainable living.

Yours is a lifestyle that would not be permitted unless you could purchase a grandfathered operation. Land use laws do not permit construction of any form of residence on land outside urban growth boundaries unless the land has proven it can produce at least $80,000 (there are variations of this requirement) a year for at least three years. Small scale farming and ranching has been mostly eliminated by Foggy Bottom henchmen. It is one of the reasons for the declining population across rural Oregon, and why a liberal Portlander might not be hugged, although I personaly believe you would be well treated and soon become an advocate for changes in government that would permit the kind of life you desire. A cow, six chickens, a sow, and a garden have mostly gone the way of the model T, because the tax man will make you pay more than you can earn from your operation.
Another problem in Harney County, and most of the area under discussion, is the need for water. Water is like blood: no water, no life. Much of it is privately controlled and that which is not is government controlled. People still get killed on occasion over water rights. You can still drill a well and maybe find water, but then one needs power to pump. Costs exceed benefits, tens of times over. The weather is extreme in much of Harney County. The coldest temperature ever recorded in Oregon was in Harney County, I believe. Growing season is too short for most crops. My friend living there often quotes Napoleon when he was describing the weather in Germany: "there are nine months of winter, and three months when it really gets cold", or something like that. You can hunt where assigned by the managers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 11:20 AM

147 posts, read 280,152 times
[quote=rdickers;32360813]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah I've been there View Post
Are they friendly toward liberal Portlanders?

I'd love to live there (Harney County) . Buy some land, homestead it, small-scale farming and ranching and hunting (yes I said hunting. I'm a left-wing pro-gun Democrat ).

All solar-powered, off-grid, self-sustainable living.

Yours is a lifestyle that would not be permitted unless you could purchase a grandfathered operation. Land use laws do not permit construction of any form of residence on land outside urban growth boundaries unless the land has proven it can produce at least $80,000 (there are variations of this requirement) a year for at least three years. Small scale farming and ranching has been mostly eliminated by Foggy Bottom henchmen. It is one of the reasons for the declining population across rural Oregon, and why a liberal Portlander might not be hugged, although I personaly believe you would be well treated and soon become an advocate for changes in government that would permit the kind of life you desire. A cow, six chickens, a sow, and a garden have mostly gone the way of the model T, because the tax man will make you pay more than you can earn from your operation.
Another problem in Harney County, and most of the area under discussion, is the need for water. Water is like blood: no water, no life. Much of it is privately controlled and that which is not is government controlled. People still get killed on occasion over water rights. You can still drill a well and maybe find water, but then one needs power to pump. Costs exceed benefits, tens of times over. The weather is extreme in much of Harney County. The coldest temperature ever recorded in Oregon was in Harney County, I believe. Growing season is too short for most crops. My friend living there often quotes Napoleon when he was describing the weather in Germany: "there are nine months of winter, and three months when it really gets cold", or something like that. You can hunt where assigned by the managers.
Wow! Didn't know that. Harney County sounds like Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by delta07; 08-31-2014 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: foul language

Old 11-24-2013, 12:52 PM

70 posts, read 103,918 times
[quote=Yeah I've been there;32360894]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickers View Post

Wow! Didn't know that. Harney County sounds like Moderator cut: snip
The laws are state laws, not Harney County laws. Harney County is the largest county in Oregon, and the ninth largest in the US. It has a declining population. I'm sure there are opportunities there, but very hard to find if one must get any kind of approval involving the state.

Last edited by delta07; 08-31-2014 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: removed foul language in quote

Old 08-28-2014, 02:06 AM

47 posts, read 116,146 times
"Wow! Didn't know that. Harney County sounds like Moderator cut: snip"

[quote=rdickers;32362116]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah I've been there View Post

The laws are state laws, not Harney County laws. Harney County is the largest county in Oregon, and the ninth largest in the US. It has a declining population. I'm sure there are opportunities there, but very hard to find if one must get any kind of approval involving the state.

Actually, it's 'bout near impossible to use your land productively anywhere in the U.S. - between federal government regulations, book-bred city-livin' environmentalists who haven't a clue as to what it really takes to live WITH nature insisting every bureaucrat adopt the over-the-top regulations they come up with out of thin air ('cause they don't make any sense to anyone who has to truly deal with Mother Nature to survive), Monsanto suing every small farmer they can, Agenda 21 restrictions being adopted in every town across the nation, and state, county, and local governments adopting every kind of fee, "permit", and fine they can think of to extort money from The People, it's impossible.

Last edited by delta07; 08-31-2014 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: removed foul language in quote

Old 08-31-2014, 01:12 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
We live in NW Washington (born there) and enjoy visiting eastern Oregon. We have discovered some really great places to photograph and rock hound. Folks are really nice in the smaller towns like Lakeview, Burns, Jordan Valley, Summer Lake, etc. We were in the middle of several cattle drives and spoke with the ranchers briefly. Down to earth friendly folk. Same as in Nevada. The reason we enjoy eastern Oregon is because of the low population density. No traffic, just the wide open spaces.

This fall, coming up, we plan to do the Steens Mt. Loop and check out the Alvord area before heading into Idaho and Wyoming. Eastern Oregon has much to offer the explorer.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:43 AM

15 posts, read 20,133 times
Okay, I find it sinful that us human folk would even CONSIDER "improving" this part of nature.

First of all, humans don't need to colonize every corner of Earth. Say no to development.

Secondly, that part of the world is NOT bleak. It is teaming with wildlife well adapted to their environs. Antelope, rattlesnakes, elk, wolves even! The fauna is amazing too.

Finally, do not take a gun for animal defense. The only animals out there that may attack you would be the rare cougar, or a pack of wolves (like, the only pack in the state of Oregon). Honestly, you are safe from the animals. If you were going to hunt to eat (as opposed solely for sport) and were in full compliance of game laws, I'd say bring all your guns. The real animal defense would be proper storage of your food, especially at night, and due diligence.

Oh crud, fourthly! Don't go to Burns. No offense, but if your idea is developing the desert, your example in that area would be Burns. That place is horrible. Spend a week there if you don't believe me. You'll run out of things to do by hour 2.

Instead, run off into the Steens Mountain range and look for some hot springs and get yourself lost. Then you'll see why this area is better left out of the human race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon