Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 03:39 PM

405 posts, read 1,281,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
MD, we got you at "lonely". I for one don't need anymore convincing. Hood River, bad. Why are you still there? Life's awastin' guy. There's strange new worlds and all that. Giddyup 409, Hiyo Silver and away... you feeling me?
Great point, Leisesturm.. And the answer to your question is that I am stuck in a year lease.. Believe me, if I could get out of this lease without pissing off my landlord I would leave this town tomorrow. Unfortunately, I am legally binded and my landlord and his wife liked the fact I am single guy. THey actually left the place unrented for a couple months until I came along. So, I worry that they would not let me leave, as they don't have to and I am the tenant they were looking for. My rent is always early and I always report problems that need fixing. I'm thinking of excuses I can make, but I figure I just moved and I might as well just let the year go by before I move out of here.

If you know anyone with good credit, good income, single, no kids, no pets who wants to take over my lease please let me know. I'm renting a very nice early 1900s farmhouse in the Heights. The house is in great condition and upgraded. The only thing is, the layout is funky, despite being a moderately large house, it only has 2 beds, 1.5ba. Not the most ideal for a family, which is the majority of people who live in Hood River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 10:41 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
I wasn't referring to getting romantically involved with them. What I mean is, a single guy and a married women have no real business associating with each other behind her husband's back. That is more of a cultural issue I have. This town freaks me out anyhow, I just feel it is so small, that if anyone sees me alone with some other guy's wife, there will be a whole lot of trouble.
Your foreign background is showing. In America, you can talk to anyone you want, whether they are married or not. There is no "behind her husband's back." She'll mention you to him or not depending on whether she thinks you are worth mentioning. Quit looking at every woman as a sex object and start treating them like people, and you will have a much pleasanter social life.

I had lunch with a married woman today. My wife called while we were eating. She apologized for interrupting during the meal, said hi to my friend, and hung up. We invited my friend's husband to go with us, but he had other things to do. We said hi when he picked her up after work. In my opinion, she married a prince. He is one of the finest men I have ever met. Neither of our spouses has the slightest concern that we sometimes go out for Chinese at lunch.

Sometimes I do the same with beautiful, young, single women. My wife does not worry. It causes no gossip. It helps that my wife approves of my taste in women.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:35 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Well, there are some Indigenous tribes... and Penguins are an interesting case study. BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Pick up a penguin

http://bestsmileys.com/animals/7.gif (broken link)

Old 07-17-2011, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Your foreign background is showing. In America, you can talk to anyone you want, whether they are married or not. There is no "behind her husband's back." She'll mention you to him or not depending on whether she thinks you are worth mentioning. Quit looking at every woman as a sex object and start treating them like people, and you will have a much pleasanter social life.
Larry, I know I am a foreigner in this country. Despite, living here many years, but I have a cultural difference. Nonetheless, you are wrong to make false accusations about me as that I view women as sex objects. It is quite the contrary, I view women as unique, living souls that have a special purpose on this planet, guided by The Eternal Spirit. I view them in a different context, but consider each and every one special. That is why I would never want to ever get in the way of a married woman, her husband , children and family. Yes, this could be my paranoia, due to cultural teachings, but we are taught in our books not to sit down with a married woman. It is not viewing as a sex object, but rather viewing that any type of relations could lead to adultery possibly, in a time of weakness, or what not.

Anyway, leaving my culture and religion aside, I, myself am worried. Considering how alone I am in this town, if I had the permission of the husband to associate with the wife, like you do with your, non-conjugal female friends, then I guess I would be fine with that. Especially, if they want to server as the Shadchan and perform a Shidduch for me, then mazel tov. LOL

I don't know what it is, but in this town, I feel very sketched out getting up close and personal with married ladies. I also feel approaching a married woman and trying to start up a conversation is somewhat scandalous. It is not so much of me looking at her as a sex object, as I am afraid as she is looking at me as an adulterer or a low-life. 9 out of 10 girls in Hood River are married are minors, so it isn't all that easy finding women to associate with that I am comfortable. Also, a lot of younger people in Hood River are bonded in their cliques and do not associate with anyone outside of their little "group of cool people."

I will admit I am a foreigner by culture, so I don't quite get a lot of American culture anymore. I'm lost in confusion.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:53 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
MD, I think your best bet is to stop worrying and realize you don't have to be there beyond one year. One year is doable whether alone and lonely or married with kids.

I've been in a place I hate for eight years and lonely (and believe me I tried to fit in, but I live in RW conservative land and I am a liberal). I am single too and living in a neighborhood of families. You are fortunate you don't own a house and have to sell, as is the case with many including me.

If you've already been there a few months, nine more is a piece of cake. I would not break your lease if I were you. Plus, I'd for sure try to stay in your job for a year. Cheer up, it could be worse, you could be foreclosed on, homeless, hungry, unemployed, etc.

Oh, and Boise might be a great place for you. You've got nine months to pack, so start packing.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:21 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Why not move to Portland? I'm sure there are lots of Kabbalists or whichever branch of Jewish mysticism you're into.

I find that for me, personally, I often tend to have better meditations in a quiet room in a city than out in the wilderness. I don't know exactly why that is, but there's something about having a few distractions that helps focus my mind ..... although stellar jay birds are louder and more obnoxious than traffic along I5, and then there's the mosquitoes and the yellowjackets. I think after a meditation it's good to get back into the swing of things and practice any insights you may have gotten with people right away, after all half of it is about knowing your connection to the universe, and half about recognizing yourself in other sentient beings.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:32 PM

Thanks for your nice words Misty.. Yeah, 9 months isn't long when looking at it in the context of the Cosmos. I will keep myself busy with work, although sometimes I get cabin fever. I mostly stay home, because my job is demanding (work at home) and there is not anything for me to do in town, besides the occasional coffeeshop. The weather has just been to crappy to do any hiking. I am hoping the rain and clouds will go already. I'm planning a trip to Idaho for August. I'll finally get to see the sun again.

Woof.. I am not a Kabbalist, sorry for the confusion. I am a Netzarim Jew with Orthodox leanings. I do not read the Kabbalah, although I do respect many aspects of Jewish Mysticism. However, most Hassidim, Chabadniks and other sects who are either Kabbalah centered or study Kabbalah do not like me and the Netzarim Jewish sect. Sadly, the sect of Netzarim is hated and reject by mainstream Judaism. I guess you can say I am somewhat of an outcast to my own people. I wanted to become an Orthodox Jew, but because of my Netzarim beliefs, I am ostracized from them. Had, it not been for strong convictions of my faith, I could have had an arranged marriage and been apart of the Orthodox community.

Portland is certainly a decent place for Orthodox and other sects of mainstream Jews. Unfortunately, for me, I am not accepted in the community. Perhaps, New York, would be a place I could meet some other like-minded people, but I have no desire to live in New York, especially Brooklyn or any part of NYC.

As far as yellowjackets, mosquitoes and stellar blue jays, I live in town and are plagued with all these things. Actually, I love the blue jays and don't mind their occasional squaks. They are nice to look at. Try taking a walk through Laurelhurst Park in JUly if you want to experience a good dose of mosquitoes. If you want to avoid mosquitoes, just avoid water areas. Walking around the forest during the day, I never encounter yellowjackets or mosquitoes. I have had a few run-ins with bears though.

I don't know, but my mind gets foggier in the city and I am much clearer when I am in the forest. Sadly, the wilderness areas where you can be truly alone are somewhat far from Hood River. It is not like you can just drive 10 minutes and be away from civilization. I understand because of the nature of my internet business, I am stuck living in town. When I am out in the forest I have less desire to be around other people and feel more connected to God and His Spirit. But when I am stuck in a town I want to socialize with others, because I see other people all around me. It is strange.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:14 PM

504 posts, read 2,176,040 times
Just wanted to add that there are many people in the US (like myself) who find it very inappropriate to be alone with someone of the opposite sex if you're married. I would not want my husband to go out to lunch with another woman, unless it's work-related, and I respect our marriage enough to reject a lunch or coffee date with men who aren't my husband. Call me old fashioned, I was born and raised in the deep South, but I don't think the OP is being oversensitive. He certainly isn't naive... Just sayin'...

Old 07-18-2011, 06:22 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
I don't know... I've always preffered the company of women. Guys are alright, but I can only fake interest in the Trailblazers for about this long. Back in NYC the only guy I socialized with was my supervisor, all my other acquaintances and friends were female. Some had husbands. It never got ugly. It doesn't have to. "If you love somebody... set them free-ee-ee"

H

Old 07-18-2011, 07:01 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
It is quite the contrary, I view women as unique, living souls that have a special purpose on this planet, guided by The Eternal Spirit. I view them in a different context, but consider each and every one special.
I think it is this very attitude that turns modern women off to you. I think you need to find a community in a city where there are other Netzarim Jews who share your beliefs. Before you make another move, you should perhaps check this out.

I am a Jewish woman raised as a Conservative Jew and I understand your particular beliefs however they would not be acceptable to me and most of the Jewish faith other than the Orthodox. That's why you would probably be happiest amongst your own kind rather than trying to change the views of others or seeking those like you in areas where they simply do not exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon