Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:12 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times

Advertisements

I understand your disappointment. You are experiencing what HR calls a 'hiring freeze'. Better that than to move and be laid off shortly thereafter. Continue your job search.

Based on my observation of employers implementing a hiring freeze they will reopen the requisition within 60 days with the goal of on-boarding the first week in January. My prediction is based on a guess that their need is not critical and that in the next month there are paid holidays and bonuses/vesting of benefits - the most expensive time from a payroll standpoint.

Don't wait for them in your job search, on the other hand don't be surprised if they get back to you if you are their top candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 12:35 AM

3 posts, read 6,886 times
It's funny to see some of the posts here decrying the conservative leanings of Roseburg, and its attendant 'lack of diversity' as somehow undesirable. I had a contract job in Roseburg for nearly a year, back in 2005-2006, so I know a little something more about the place than those who have passed through and come away with the impression that it is conservative, and 'perhaps on the rough side'. Since my stay in Roseburg, I have lived in Atlantic City, NJ, Nashville, TN, Orange County, CA, and Seattle, WA. I currently live on Vancouver Island, BC. And when I think back on all the places I have ever lived, from Tucson to L.A. to Baltimore, always my thoughts return to Roseburg. Why? Maybe it's the tranquility of the place; the slowness of the pace of life there. It's for sure the traffic isn't getting any better, and that's probably the worst part. But that only lasts for an hour or so in the morning, and then again in the late afternoon. Other than that, it's just a very pleasant place to live. If you're looking for liberal diversity, stay in San Francisco. You won't find much of that in Roseburg, thank God!

Old 02-27-2012, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,057 times
Insofar as crime is concerned, this from Neighborhood Scout, relative to Roseburg, OR crime rates is interesting:

"With a crime rate of 49 per one thousand residents, Roseburg has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 20. Within Oregon, more than 93% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Roseburg." "The crime data that NeighborhoodScout used for this analysis are the seven offenses from the uniform crime reports, collected by the FBI from 17,000 local law enforcement agencies, and include both violent and property crimes, combined."

Old 03-09-2012, 08:32 AM

56 posts, read 124,215 times
I've lived in Roseburg. It's a bovine-thinking town, with a deep conservative mentality, lots and lots of churches, shoot, there's more Christian radio stations in that one area than regular radio stations. Looks like I might live there for a while again, only temporarily thank goodness. Roseburg is not like Eugene, or Grants Pass, or Medford. It is a much smaller town in regards to both population and mentality. Not much diversity, unless you mean that the cows all look a little bit different from each other.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:58 PM

13 posts, read 40,508 times
Hi, My family will be moving that direction next year. Concerning forest fires is Roseburg or Grants Pass safer for residents? And being that they are both in valleys, which is most affected by residual smoke and inverted air? I'm kind of in a dilemma here- I have to leave the California Valley because of asthma, but I'm sensitive to mold so I can't go too far up into the state. I have to move to Oregon because of family. Any info. would be great thanks.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:50 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Forest fire exposure is unlikely if you live in town. Outside of town, there is the Douglas Forest Protective Association and various rural fire districts that will do what they can to safeguard structures. Wildfire protection starts on an individual level.

OREGON | Douglas County | Community Wildfire Protection Plan
Information for Homeowners | Forestry Extension | Oregon State University

Old 07-14-2012, 05:04 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1auntie View Post
Hi, My family will be moving that direction next year. Concerning forest fires is Roseburg or Grants Pass safer for residents? And being that they are both in valleys, which is most affected by residual smoke and inverted air? I'm kind of in a dilemma here- I have to leave the California Valley because of asthma, but I'm sensitive to mold so I can't go too far up into the state. I have to move to Oregon because of family. Any info. would be great thanks.
I suppose the wetter and more rainfall, the "safer" you will be. You might want to type in burning bans and see where that leads you. Ashland and Spokane have restrictions on outdoor burns.
In Taos, the smell of burning mesquite filled the air every fall like incense. I hope they haven't stopped that. I'm referrring to fireplaces not forest fires.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:12 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,927,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I suppose the wetter and more rainfall, the "safer" you will be. You might want to type in burning bans and see where that leads you. Ashland and Spokane have restrictions on outdoor burns.
In Taos, the smell of burning mesquite filled the air every fall like incense. I hope they haven't stopped that. I'm referrring to fireplaces not forest fires.
the only bans i know of are during the summer. before moving here i had never heard of people that burn their garbage!

Old 07-15-2012, 12:32 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
the only bans i know of are during the summer. before moving here i had never heard of people that burn their garbage!
Only idiots burn garbage. Burn days are for rural people to get rid of their prunings, and yard trimmings, the season and bans depend on elevation and air quality.
You're supposed to get a permit and abide by the rules, such as a water source nearby, constant monitoring of the fire, and only burn between certain hours of the day. We had some neighbors from Portland that burned their garbage, until we told them it was against the law. They said they did that all the time up in Portland.
These people were burning plastic and a creosote railroad tie. You can imagine the smell!
We find it easier to just take a load to the recyclers that turn it into mulch.

Last edited by claudhopper; 07-15-2012 at 01:03 AM..

Old 07-15-2012, 09:07 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,927,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calapooya View Post
It's funny to see some of the posts here decrying the conservative leanings of Roseburg, and its attendant 'lack of diversity' as somehow undesirable. I had a contract job in Roseburg for nearly a year, back in 2005-2006, so I know a little something more about the place than those who have passed through and come away with the impression that it is conservative, and 'perhaps on the rough side'. Since my stay in Roseburg, I have lived in Atlantic City, NJ, Nashville, TN, Orange County, CA, and Seattle, WA. I currently live on Vancouver Island, BC. And when I think back on all the places I have ever lived, from Tucson to L.A. to Baltimore, always my thoughts return to Roseburg. Why? Maybe it's the tranquility of the place; the slowness of the pace of life there. It's for sure the traffic isn't getting any better, and that's probably the worst part. But that only lasts for an hour or so in the morning, and then again in the late afternoon. Other than that, it's just a very pleasant place to live. If you're looking for liberal diversity, stay in San Francisco. You won't find much of that in Roseburg, thank God!
i've been here almost seven years, originally from the bay area. this is the only place i've lived that has no traffic jams ever. once in a blue moon there is an accident on the I5 that holds up traffic for a few minutes but that's about it. i agree with the below post about it being conservative with churches everywhere. i quit listening to the radio because there is not much called music. it's either religious or country. it is getting less conservative through the years as more people from california have moved in. the amount of cars to be seen with religious bumper stickers and conservative politics is still the vast majority. i personally haven't felt it to be high crime in any area here. there is the drug problem and homeless/mentally ill population but it isn't what i'd consider a lot based on population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nardoman View Post
I've lived in Roseburg. It's a bovine-thinking town, with a deep conservative mentality, lots and lots of churches, shoot, there's more Christian radio stations in that one area than regular radio stations. Looks like I might live there for a while again, only temporarily thank goodness. Roseburg is not like Eugene, or Grants Pass, or Medford. It is a much smaller town in regards to both population and mentality. Not much diversity, unless you mean that the cows all look a little bit different from each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Only idiots burn garbage. Burn days are for rural people to get rid of their prunings, and yard trimmings, the season and bans depend on elevation and air quality.
You're supposed to get a permit and abide by the rules, such as a water source nearby, constant monitoring of the fire, and only burn between certain hours of the day. We had some neighbors from Portland that burned their garbage, until we told them it was against the law. They said they did that all the time up in Portland.
These people were burning plastic and a creosote railroad tie. You can imagine the smell!
We find it easier to just take a load to the recyclers that turn it into mulch.
i'm not a garbage burner but i'm not aware that permits are required. and i've never heard of "burn days" here. i don't see or smell any garbage burning in my immediate area, but there are residents that seem to burn garbage whenever they want, with the exception of summer months due to wildfire. it's probably a little more common outside of the towns but it still seems to happen just about anywhere. the garbage dump is still free here so some people don't have garbage service and just take everything to the dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon