Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2008, 07:08 AM

610 posts, read 3,320,268 times

Advertisements

I see a few conversations going on - but I want to get this one in and this looks like the only suitable thread for it. Pardon any intrusion.
I have mentioned a few times, in a few places - if you want to know what an area is like then go grab a cart and negotiate your way around the local grocery stores and WalMarts, etc.
This method taught me a lot about Idaho and Tennessee, Nevada and Oklahoma, Ohio and Wyoming.
Well, I've had a year now to measure Oregon ... and there's something wrong.
In Oregon, as in Idaho, you can get yourself run right over in the store - I mean, if you even blink, some big ol' family of five just rammed your shadow three aisles away at high speed!
In Oregon, as in New Mexico, no matter where you are in the store, somebody is looking for you and is going to find you just so they can get in front of you with their cart and stop - with the cart turned sideways just as you need by! (It's fairly important to note here that in New Mexico, they drive the streets the same way).
What is different about Oregon though is this ... they're not doing it intentionally! It's "Honest-to-God innocence"! They simply seem to have no concepts of any cart-traffic etiquette ... like the word never got around here.
In Idaho - make no mistake - they're gunning for you! In New Mexico - make no mistake - it is in the DNA! But here in Oregon, it's just like nobody ever bothered with worrying about it - and they barely seem to mind you (the transplant) trying to get back at them for cutting you off!
I think this says something about Oregonadians in general ... although I'm not sure what; maybe it says that there are some aspects of social-life missing here; maybe it says that we folks who came from the "other" America are way too caught up in the cheap-sides of life; or maybe it simply says that I go to the store way too much - but I do hope I have offered some food for thought. Maybe grab the hand-basket instead of the cart!
Thanks for the listen.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:51 AM

246 posts, read 1,073,516 times
RockyMtnr! I love your posts! LOL!!!! You keep things entertaining. LOL!!! Thanks!

Old 03-01-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffin4java View Post
RockyMtnr! I love your posts! LOL!!!! You keep things entertaining. LOL!!! Thanks!
Thanks Jiff! And I think the express-lane is finally moving!!
(Y'know, WalMart's idiosynchriatic blunders seem to transcend localities!)

Old 03-04-2008, 06:45 AM

177 posts, read 969,794 times
Quote:
In Oregon, as in New Mexico, no matter where you are in the store, somebody is looking for you and is going to find you just so they can get in front of you with their cart and stop - with the cart turned sideways just as you need by! (It's fairly important to note here that in New Mexico, they drive the streets the same way).
What is different about Oregon though is this ... they're not doing it intentionally! It's "Honest-to-God innocence"! They simply seem to have no concepts of any cart-traffic etiquette ... like the word never got around here.
Actually, I think it's because before the Californians,retirees, etc. heard of Oregon, there were fewer people in the stores. We are "innocent" because we don't expect someone to be behind us or wanting to go down that aisle. Oregon used to be a lot less populated, which means the stores were less populated also. Be patient with us, we will learn cart etiquette eventually.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:42 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,462 times
well does this mean that Walmart is the only place to shop? Is this true for all hours? If I go to Walmarts at all it's usually after hours.....and not with a cart. How will I fare?

Old 03-04-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
well does this mean that Walmart is the only place to shop? Is this true for all hours? If I go to Walmarts at all it's usually after hours.....and not with a cart. How will I fare?
No Esya, Walmart is not the only place to shop ... but it's getting to be that way in America.
I can't speak any for the Oregon of many years ago - I visited a couple of times over the years and only moved here a year ago ... but I can speak a little for America past and present 'cause I lived there all over - and some of the towns I used to love for shopping (Cincy, SF, NY, Miami) ... they're all becoming the same everywhere! WalMart, Fred Meyer's, Kohls, Macy's, Penny's, Sears, Target, K-Mart, Bed-Bath and Beyond, Circuit City, Old Navy, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc.
Now, to answer your question ... if you go to an all-night WalMart in Oregon, it will be the same as going to an all-night WalMart anywhere else ... depends on the population of your area. My reference to them all having the same foibles was pointed more at the probability of you standing in what looks like the shortest line you can find that's open ... once you determine that there's one open ... watching every 3rd item get price-checked, finally getting your turn and having the front-end boss step right in for a change of trays while you watch ... that sort of thing.
We have nothing to fear from WalMart ... except WalMart itself!

**Note to Dachmom: Your explanation makes perfect sense and also helps explain why there seems to be no malice to the Oregonian method. The problem is in people like me who come from out there in the "other" America and having to work so hard to "nice-up". Shoot - here's how weird Oregon is - and all you outsiders will understand I'm sure: The other day, I'm walking up my drive - there's a big hedge between my apartment (senior) complex and the apartments (normal) next door. Someone was blasting hip-hop from their car - I couldn't see it - but I yelled "Turn that s**t down"!! Guess what folks ... Guess ... go ahead .... They DID IT!! Go find THAT anywhere else in America! There was a little yip-yap yapping non-stop. I hollered "Shut Up". Guess What??!! It stopped! Oregon is GREAT - but really weird for the transplant!!

Old 04-14-2008, 02:35 PM

6 posts, read 19,268 times
Default Greed in America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytripper View Post
It's NO secret.....this isn't just happening in OREGON.......it's happening all over AMERICA......and its very obvious.
It's been happening for several years.....and its a direct result of pure and simple GREED......
..a lot of it is a result of politicians who are voted into office who truly do not care about the people or the democratic process, but mostly, IMO.....its Corporate America who really runs the show now......not the government.
AMERICA IS FOR SALE!!

FORCLOSURE OF THE AMERICAN DREAM It ain't JUST Oregon......it's ALL over!
Yes, you are correct in your assessment of the direction in which our beloved America is going. Our fore fathers would not recognize it or approve. Was so hoping that Congressman Ron Paul would get the nod from Americans who are fed up.................but not so. We are doomed....

Old 04-15-2008, 11:26 PM

Now that my check is safely in the mail - I've found another "wee bit of a DOWN side" to living in Oregon ...
10% State Income Tax!!
What is up with that??

And no - just in case someone wants to try and trump that with "But there's no Sales Tax" - that doesn't save anybody any money. Everything is 1/3 higher than anywhere else I've ever lived! I could pay the tax in most states and still save money.
Not that it isn't worth it to be in the most beautiful state on the mainland - but I repeat ... what is up with that 10% stuff?

Old 04-16-2008, 11:19 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,009 times
hurts, doesnt it....sigh....

Old 04-16-2008, 11:54 AM

692 posts, read 3,142,487 times
The State income tax is the biggest single problem for me in deciding to move to Oregon.
I am retired and about to have to take the mandatory distributions from our TRADITIONAL IRA's. That means that all of the moneys we have saved in them will have an additional 9% State tax put on top of the fed taxes as they are taken out.
That doesn't count any other income other than US treasuries which are excempt.
When you retire most likely you won't be spending as much for large ticket items so the sales tax offset is not as important.
I still live in Washington and do not have these same set of problems to consider but I do like many areas of Oregon.
So far I cannot comes to grips with handing over for free the extra 9% to the state.
Then there is the issue of property taxes.......UHG.
For now we will continue to do as we have for years and just visit the state.

Silverfox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon