Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2008, 06:00 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times

Advertisements

Who would you guess said this:

"I've traveled a lot and I don't think any town of the size of ten thousand can be as friendly as Baker."

If you have read and believed items ominously warning of Eastern Oregon conservative culture posted to this forum by “Progressives,” with their preconceived notions, you will probably think it was said by a white supremacist, or a neo-Nazi.

It was actually said by the son of German Jews, Leo Adler, who lived almost 100 years in Baker City and was its greatest benefactor. He is the only person I know of who received commendations from both the Vatican and the state of Israel.

He started his business career as a boy selling magazines from door to door. When he died, he left $22 million to his beloved hometown.

His story will be featured on OPB’s Oregon Experience, Monday, February 18 at 9:00pm (with repeats). Open minded people will probably want to watch:

Oregon Experience · Oregon Public Broadcasting

Baker City Herald - Online (http://www.bakercityherald.com/news/story.cfm?story_no=6000 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 01:36 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,469 times
Unfortunately, the "open-minded people" who need to watch this, won't. It's easier to remain prejudiced and hate-filled rather than have your sacred cow beliefs challenged or shot down.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:12 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,060 times
I just heard about it on OPB this morning and would LOVE to see it. I looked at Baker as a possible place to invest (yeah, real estate, what else?) a few months ago and was surprised and delighted by the planning this town has done! They are collectively creating a town that will be able to maximize tourist dollars as well as the agriculture and other economic resources already in place. Great idea! They certainly have the history to showcase.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:03 AM

3 posts, read 10,429 times
I'm happy to see these articles about Baker, it is the area of Oregon we plan to move to soon with our family.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,049 times
Great news I am planning a move to Baker City soon. Hope to visit soon to maybe become a business owner. How is the restaurant businesses in Baker?

Old 01-23-2012, 09:59 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Good, I like visiting Baker. Union about 30 miles to the north is real similar, just a much smaller town. The city has a lot going for it and I hope they can really capitalize on tourism out that way.

Unfortunately as you get closer to Ontario it becomes much poorer and more Conservative.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:35 AM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Good, I like visiting Baker. Union about 30 miles to the north is real similar, just a much smaller town. The city has a lot going for it and I hope they can really capitalize on tourism out that way.

Unfortunately as you get closer to Ontario it becomes much poorer and more Conservative.
Not really more conservative, more Hispanic is a more obvious difference:

Baker City (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Ontario (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Although I have heard people say Hispanics tend to be socially conservative.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:12 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,652,432 times
I always liked Baker. I just figured I would starve to death trying to make a living there. I could possibly split my retirement with Baker in the summer. (Brookings also pulls at my heart strings as a summer haven.) I do love the surrounding country and the people for me are just fine. You have to understand the culture. You simply cannot come from somewhere else and tell them they are flat wrong and expect a warm welcome. I respect the ways of people when I am a guest. Social conservatism is the way in most of rural Oregon. As an alternative take a look at Joseph, Oregon. There is an art community there. Possibility of meeting someone there that has "progressive" leanings would be much higher. I love Joseph too. Just a tad remote for me.

I do not know much about Leo yet. I will study up. So far a great self made man who, on his death left a great gift to the people of his community. Sounds wonderful to me. People who believe and contribute back, build our society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon