Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2007, 08:55 PM

11 posts, read 72,108 times

Advertisements

New to this so hope I'm doing this correctly. My husband, my baby daughter, and my mother are 85% sure we're moving to Newport, Oregon (husband probably getting a job there). Can anyone tell me if houses are selling quickly (ie for their asking prices) and if the trend is for housing prices to keep going up there or not? Also wondering if there is a particular political bent to a majority of the folks who live in Newport? Is this a good place to raise a child in your opinion (if you were a kid, would you want to grow up there?) So many other questions, but I'll limit myself to one more: is it dog-friendly? (are there places you can take your dog off-leash, even if not officially, without fear of getting ticketed as long as you clean up after your dog?). Many more questions, but I'll start there. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 10:03 AM

10 posts, read 43,903 times
Smile Newport outlook...

Hi annakem, I've lived in the Newport area for over 4 years now so I'll give you what I see as a small businessman in Newport, dealing with residents every day.
Housing has leveled off as it does every year at this time. We have a different market here based on A. Rainy winter time or B. sunny summer time! It is heading to the time of year that you can buy a house for a decent fair amount...never buy at the Oregon Coast in the middle of the Summer!
Real estate prices have been rising steadily (even though income isn't!) in the last few years but has leveled a bit due to the economy/national trend recently also. Trend would be for prices to keep going up...
Political bent is definitely liberal/democrat. It didn't used to be that way but there are enough progressive thinking transplants that have changed the politics of the area. There are still plenty of conservative people around as to be a good mix! I think it's a fairly good place to raise a child, the schools have had some challenges and in many ways its your average small town with its ups and downs. The beach of course is fun for kids as is bayfront, the aquarium and there are many activities, keep in mind it is a very small town though, contrary to what you see in the summer. Life seemingly stops sometimes in the winter when we get rain every day. It takes a certain kind of person (which you may be-don't let me discourage you) to like living in Newport year-round.
Definitely Dog friendly no worries there. I take my black lab everywhere with me and most of the time I don't carry a leash. The over-zealous park officials at South Beach have stopped me a few times on walks and said something about a leash and I tell them I'm a local and my dog is on voice-leash. General rule, around the Oregon Coast, leashes are for those people who cannot control their dogs or who have dogs that are agressive.
One more thought...Consider Toledo...Cheaper houses, Sunnier/warmer/less wind, more stable community, only 9 miles from Newport and the Coast, has a better pool than Newport, I could go on...Check it out! Let me know if you have more questions...

Old 10-08-2007, 05:05 PM

Default newport move - THANKS!

Thank you, Oregoncoastey! I really appreciate your insight and answers to some of my basic questions. We should be finding out any day now if my husband got the job. If he did, I think we will all be making the move. The thought of all that rain does seem daunting to me. We'd be coming from Seattle and I swear - it's been so nice and sunny for the last few years (well, comparatively) up here.

I love your answer regarding the dogs! That's great news. We have lots of places up here in Seattle that will ticket you if your dog is off-leash without even a warning first. It's the LAW. Humph.

Anyway - I think we will rent for a while (we'd be looking for a month-to-month rent situation where pets are accepted) while getting to know the area and looking to buy (if you happen to have any hot rental tips).

Do you live in Toledo? I have always dreamed of living within walking distance of the ocean (rain or shine), but I wonder sometimes if that is just a romantic idea of mine and the reality wouldn't have me walking on the beach as much as I think I would. You are right - living in a small town would be so very different from the amenities and attractions one finds in a larger urban area.

Thanks again for replying! You are the only one who has!

Old 10-08-2007, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 7,348 times
annakem,
The coast is a different kind of life. Tourism in the summer and deserted (for the most part) in the winter... but always beautiful. I grew up in Lincoln City in the 70's. It was aweful then... (Newport was the rivals...lol) there was little for teens to do... but that HAS changed. And so has my appreciation for the Beauty of the Oregon Coast! We currently live in Salem and only because it is only a 1 hour drive to the coast... it's not too far from the valley... Corvallis and Salem... I think you will like it if he likes his job and you look for the sunshine in the pouring rain... One things for sure... you will miss it if you ever have to go. ! Good luck in your search! God Bless!

Old 10-12-2007, 11:10 PM

113 posts, read 720,600 times
I've been in this area for 10 years, and in the process of relocating out of state (employment issue), if you want, send me a message, and I can give you some good info.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-15-2007 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: no advertising please

Old 10-15-2007, 08:23 AM

Default home for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjoh View Post
I've been in this area for 10 years, and in the process of relocating out of state (employment issue), if you want, send me a message, and I can give you some good info. .
We are probably going to be buying a home in the Newport area in the next 2 to 5 months. Should find out very soon when. If you have any good tips for home buyers in the area, let me know - I'd sure appreciate it. Also - I've noticed a lot of houses have baseboard / wall zone heat. Is this efficient? I picture it costing a lot of money to heat your house that way all winter long. I'm used to gas forced air, but don't see a lot of that in the homes for sale in the Newport, OR area. Thanks!

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-15-2007 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: orphaned content

Old 10-15-2007, 10:39 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,760,170 times
City Data does not permit advertising or solicitation in forum posts.

It would be best to use the Direct Message system to discuss any specifics in those areas.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon