Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 11:31 PM

3 posts, read 5,170 times

Advertisements

My family may be moving to Corvallis, OR this summer (job at the University). We've got 2 kids under 5, 2 dogs, and 1 cat and are looking to rent a house. What are our prospects? I'm hoping for something at or under $2000/month that is pet-friendly and NOT surrounded by frat houses, if you catch my drift.

My 'wish list' would be a place were I could garden, walk/bike to downtown, someday have a chicken coup, and be in a good school district.

I've seen that may people live in towns outside Corvallis, and I am open to this (or living in something more rural -- I did grow up on a farm in Illinois, after all), but I am a little worried about being far from the 'hippie' vibe of the town. We can't stand chain restaurants and prefer to avoid 'big box' stores when practically possible.

Also, how does schooling work in OR. In AZ, there is open enrollment, so even if you live 'out of district' of your desired school, your kids can still go there.

Thank you for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 09:56 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,173 times
The 509J school system is one of the best in the country. You won't have to worry about open enrollment because all the schools are good. There are few chain restaurants and big box stores in Corvallis. Many of the advantages of living in Corvallis will disappear if you live outside the city limits. You can find pet-friendly rentals, but expect to pay a deposit for each of your 3 pets.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:29 AM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,628 times
don't have any info on corvallis but wanted to say hi. moving from mesa to portland next month

Old 02-17-2012, 11:53 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Finding a rental at all is going to be a pain. Luckily you're hitting in the summer when most the students are away.

Personally I wouldn't mind living in Philomath too much. I think you're still close enough to Corvallis to take advantage of it as a town. The commute from Albany to Corvallis is doable, but can be an extra 30 minutes during rush hours.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:00 PM

49 posts, read 94,557 times
Currently there is only 1% vacancy in rentals in Corvallis due to the explosion in student population, rents have gone up also Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Kimballette; 08-08-2012 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: Consumer complaints are not permitted on City-Data.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:33 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,347,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabappleblossom View Post
My 'wish list' would be a place were I could garden, walk/bike to downtown, someday have a chicken coup, and be in a good school district.

I've seen that may people live in towns outside Corvallis, and I am open to this (or living in something more rural -- I did grow up on a farm in Illinois, after all), but I am a little worried about being far from the 'hippie' vibe of the town. We can't stand chain restaurants and prefer to avoid 'big box' stores when practically possible.
Finding someplace you could *walk* to downtown and have a chicken coop would be iffy-I don't know the actual city rules, but I never saw one in Corvallis itself and I lived in that area for most of my young adult life. Outside of town (Philomath, Monroe) that setup would be easy, but you're talking about 10-15 mile drive.

Within the city-biking, sure, there's bike paths all over the place. Based on what you said, I'd recommend Philomath. There are rural houses, fairly easy to rent, you can most likely take care of the pet stuff and could potentially find a place that lets you have chickens.

From foggy memory: pretty decent school system if you want to apply yourself (at least I thought so-I went there and managed to get into some pretty rigorous universities, and there were always some kids that went to West Point, Brigham Young, MIT, etc.), but it's also a system where it is somewhat easy to slide if that's your kids propensity.

Finally, if you are REALLY into biking, it's not trivial and it takes longer than 5 minutes, but there's a roughly 6 mile bike path that only crosses traffic once or twice that goes from Philomath to Corvallis, and drops you right into OSU or downtown depending on where you get off it, plus at least one other fairly easy way to get from the north part of philomath to the university area (although that one has quite a bit more traffic and isn't seperated from the cars quite as well). Quite a few people bike into town to work, and older kids can easily head in there on bikes.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:50 PM

3 posts, read 5,170 times
Thanks for all the information! It is looking more and more like we will be making this move and I have a couple of follow-up questions:

I've seen on several threads here that renting a HOUSE (REALLY hoping for a yard and not an apartment) will be a bit difficult. If we go, my husband and I will head out a month or so early to 'scout' out a place to live, then fly home, pack, and head off. Given that OSU is not on semesters, I'm not sure what our move-in month should be to optimize our chances of finding a place. Any suggestions? June, July, August,...?

I'm not opposed to 'outside of town' if that is what it takes to get a house. Is Philomath any good? The bike path makes it interesting (a possible commute for hubby---to OSU).

And to christiner81, Good luck! I don't know about you, but I can not wait to 'escape' from Arizona! This place is pure torture!

Old 03-18-2012, 04:13 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
I have heard that OSU students and staff are finding housing in Philomath.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:35 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Wow. Don't expect much in housing with your requirements, but Welcome to Oregon.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:36 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
P.S.

I always welcome newcomers who have a job first, and move second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon