Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:44 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3ud1971 View Post
PNW-type-gal: Better than I thought! Thanks! As for the car, Yes, I have driven in WI last winter but I wouldn't consider my self a professional at driving in snow.
When you are looking for a rental, then, keep in mind that the larger streets are plowed and sanded first, then the smaller streets. Property on the top of a hill, particularly a side street, may likely be the last thing to be plowed. We don't get the snow that much of Wisconsin gets, meaning that it will snow for a couple days or a week and dump a lot of snow, but then it will melt off and the streets will be clear. The transition between no snow and snow and then the melting off of snow into slush and ice are the tricky driving conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 01:44 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
hamellr: They can't make me live in campus, can they? I really don't like living on campuses and I wasn't planning to.
As far as I know, most colleges require this. Except for Community Colleges of course.

Housing & Residence Life | Oregon Tech would be the place to find out for sure.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:56 PM

5 posts, read 11,605 times
As for the driving, I might delay the purchase for a while. Thanks PWN-type-gal. Are you currently in Klamath Falls?

hamellr: I really hope I get to choose where to live, it's kind of unfair if they don't allow me to. Have any of you been to Madison WI before?

Old 08-09-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
As for the driving, I might delay the purchase for a while. Thanks PWN-type-gal. Are you currently in Klamath Falls?

hamellr: I really hope I get to choose where to live, it's kind of unfair if they don't allow me to. Have any of you been to Madison WI before?
Not having a car is really not an option in Klamath Falls - the public transportation is very limited in both route and frequency (it runs during the day only, pretty much). OIT is up by the hospital so it is one of the better-served areas, but, again, you'd have to pick a rental very carefully.

http://www.basintransit.com/

I live about 35 miles outside of town, but it is my closest grocery and shopping area - so I know the restaurants, groceries and stores but not the rental market or kid's schools.

I've only been to Madison once, during the summer, when it was hot and muggy. I've never seen a winter there, but driving around, looking at wood piles by houses, I was convinced it was pretty cold. Klamath Falls can get pretty cold as well - the normal overnight lows in the coldest part of the winter are in the teens, if not 20s. So don't toss the heavy coat, gloves and hat. On the other hand, compared to Portland, you'll see a lot more sun in winter and a lot less rain.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:27 AM

5 posts, read 11,605 times
I'll start looking for a car now then. I hope I can find one. Is there a taxi-on-call service? Just for the first couple of days.

I asked about Madison just to see how big/small is Klamath Falls compared to it, what do you think? And yes it's way too hot in summer and way too cold in the winter.

Thanks again for the info.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I'll start looking for a car now then. I hope I can find one. Is there a taxi-on-call service? Just for the first couple of days.

I asked about Madison just to see how big/small is Klamath Falls compared to it, what do you think? And yes it's way too hot in summer and way too cold in the winter.

Thanks again for the info.
Klamath Falls is MUCH smaller than Madison, pretty much more than an order of magnitude. The Madison metropolitan area is 568,000 people, the Klamath Falls area is around 40,000.

Look at it this way - you aren't going to be distracted from your studies.

There is a taxi service, and, while the bus service is limited, it does run during the day. You will not be required to stay on campus (I called and asked), but your best bet for referrals is the campus housing office and perhaps a stay in the temporary dorms until you find something else. For fall and spring, a bicycle is also a pretty good option - winter, not so much. OIT sits at the top of the hill, so one way is exercise and the other is just coasting.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon