Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,677 times

Advertisements

I live in port orford. It is hard to find a job..also any housing worth living in in is very expensive for one person to rent...there are a lot of homes for sale in the area. good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 09:07 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
It's been awhile since the OP posted here, but the points remain the same. Many of those who fish out of Port Orford don't live there either. It is rare to hear from someone who actually does.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:39 AM

3 posts, read 4,757 times
Default Port Orford Facts

Lived in Port Orford for 10 years.

Facts. Port Orford is a beautiful spot on the Oregon coast. Port Orford weather is mild, average winter low is 44 degrees. Often times hitting low 60s before days end.Summer temps are 62-72 most days.
In the 10 years I have lived here I have worn shorts in every month at 1 time or another. Shorts every day from about June till October. I have seen 65 degree days in the winter. And occasionally an 80 degree day.

We average 70 inches rain but see the sun often in the winter. Fog is pretty rare here. When it gets real warm inland we see fog but not like Brookings, Bandon or Coosbay north. The wind blows anywhere on the Oregon coast but windless days make you wish you had an air conditioner.

All the business owners that make an effort to survive do so and the ones that do a half job usually do not last. We are a retired community.

There are many places to volunteer, Parks, visitor center, senior center, community garden, city council, planning, etc.. We have several churches, 2 Hardware stores, grocery store, Circle K, about 8 resturants, and several coffee shops, computer store, health clinic and many art galleries. Port Orford has 3-4 motels many Bed and Breakfast type upscale places and several RV. parks, 2 banks, food co-op.

We have an open port and most the fishermen I know live inside the Port Orford city limits or just outside the city. Port Orford is manned by a 3 officer police department and has an ambulance in town as well as a rural fire department.

This is what I have seen in the 10 years I have lived here.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:50 AM

And another resident who actually lives there adds to what we have all said. Good Post.

We all seem to agree. If you don't need a job or have medical needs, and you can find a home available, it is a great place. The wealthy and the welfare seem to mix well.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 4,757 times
Default Medical

Actually, the hospitals are improving just north and south of Port Orford.

Gold Beach is building a new hospital, voters approved a tax on themselves. Bandon has leveled ground at the area beside the hospital for more doctors I am told and Bandons Community Health Center is now a federally funded, Federally Qualified Health Center and offers coverage to Port Orford.

They also have a health clinic in Port Orfords high school for students and families.

So things are improving in the health care in Port Orford area. The fact is Port Orford is a rural area as is Curry County. People like myself move here to get away from areas that are over crowded, crime ridden and fast paced. Areas such as just about anywhere in California, Medford and the like.

It is not for everyone but the climate is mild, the storms are awesome and the beauty of the area is second to none.
All the outdoor activities one could want. Hunting, fishing, hiking, biking, diving, kayaking, whale watching, crabbing, site seeing, 4 wheeling, ATV riding, beach combing and just exploring miles and miles of back roads into the mountains.

In closing one does not move to Port Orford to shop Macy's. One that needs that on a day to day basis just has not figured life out yet.

We all get to choose.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:51 AM

How is the Meth issue in Port Orford these days?

Old 09-09-2015, 04:30 PM

10 posts, read 10,590 times
It is so windy in Port Orford that the Union 76 gas station sign, which is a huge ball, broke off and bounced down HW 101.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:44 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard2BPC View Post
It is so windy in Port Orford that the Union 76 gas station sign, which is a huge ball, broke off and bounced down HW 101.
I had one of those balls on my pickemup truck radio antenna.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=Unio...FQudgAodoLMLEA

Old 09-11-2015, 02:17 PM

10 posts, read 10,590 times
Did it blow away too?

Old 09-11-2015, 04:43 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard2BPC View Post
Did it blow away too?
nah, sold the truck.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon