Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 09:15 AM

3 posts, read 9,508 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving via car from Cleveland to Medford, OR starting on December 27th. Instead of taking the straight route it's been suggested that I take the following route:

Cleveland, OH to Memphis, TN.
Memphis, TN to Amarillo, TX
Amarillo TX to Kingman, AZ
Kingman, AZ to Medford, OR

Having never been in the western US before during winter, are there any potential problems and pitfalls that I need to watch out for on the route? How bad is I-5 northbound from California in late December / Early January?

Thanks!
-TCG

EDIT: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 09:34 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,872 times
You will probably be fine. I've run that route from middle TN up and into WA more times than I can count.

Emphasis upon probably. I've been hung for a couple days in Gallup, NM, and Flagstaff, AZ due to winter storms in Dec., but those can happen up further north as well.

Generally I-5 northbound is fine, some higher elevations near the Oregon stateline can be iffy. In general, they do a great job across the entire interstate system keeping them open.

The only way you're going to know for sure is check weather reports about a week out from leaving and keep updated on them.

By the way, your route from points D and E is NOT I-5. THAT route could be a real problem during winter as it is a higher elevation. Most of I-5 in Cal keeps to the valleys. Most.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:48 AM

17,634 posts, read 22,629,029 times
There are breaks in the weather. Keeptrack of weather on different websites, etc. www.tripcheck.com
California Department of Transportation..

There are some pretty good webcams on those sites^^^.

Carry Chains
Bring warm clothing, boots,gloves,ski cap, etc.
bring extra water, food.
bring a good handheld compass.
flashlights
portable radio
good spare tire

Sometimes during storms it's best to sit tight for a few days until the weather gets better & roads are clear.

Drive Safely.

Last edited by Hawk J; 10-08-2012 at 10:03 AM..

Old 10-08-2012, 10:00 AM

From Las Vegas i would go to Barstow, then past Tehachapi, Bakersfield, to I-5 north. We've been lucky & gone that way to Vegas before for Christmas holidays before. Didn't hit any snow most times. Beloved daughter lives in Vegas.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:02 PM

3 posts, read 9,508 times
Depending on weather conditions I was planning to reroute to take more of I5 north, though that would have me dealing with the (perceived) hellish post holiday traffic around Fresno and Sacramento. Though that would (at best) add an extra hour and a half to my driving, but I guess that's better than trying to deal with snow covered 395

Being from Ohio I've heard that the third worst traffic is anywhere on the California freeway system (with Chicago and Boston being worst).

The tire chains suggestion is a good reminder - we don't use them in Ohio.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:43 PM

541 posts, read 1,729,866 times
I think you should be safe. You miss most mountain passes that way. But there is always still that chance for snow. It might not amount to much on the roadways though.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:40 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,435,602 times
Take the extra hundred miles and go over to I-5 in the winter months. The route you have is gorgeous, but with unpredictable weather not a good one. If you've got a moving truck or a loaded down car it's also going to kill your gas mileage with all those hills.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:16 PM

10 posts, read 20,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Take the extra hundred miles and go over to I-5 in the winter months. The route you have is gorgeous, but with unpredictable weather not a good one. If you've got a moving truck or a loaded down car it's also going to kill your gas mileage with all those hills.
So true! That said, don't worry about traffic on I-5 in the Sac area. I 5 is quite a bit west of the city. North of that, the only place you'll really find any bit of traffic is Redding/Red Bluff as I5 goes right through both. Once north of there, zip right along to Medford.

As for interesting driving in the winter, the only two places it can get dicey is I-5 below Dunsmier (sp?), occasionally (hell of a big storm) that can go as far as north as Mt. Shasta. Once you start climbing out of California you'll top out at about 3,500 feet and then straight down to 2,000 (Ashland, Or). Heavy snow at 3,500 feet is pretty darned rare, again it takes one hell of a storm to get that low..

Old 10-08-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
So true! That said, don't worry about traffic on I-5 in the Sac area. I 5 is quite a bit west of the city. North of that, the only place you'll really find any bit of traffic is Redding/Red Bluff as I5 goes right through both. Once north of there, zip right along to Medford.

As for interesting driving in the winter, the only two places it can get dicey is I-5 below Dunsmier (sp?), occasionally (hell of a big storm) that can go as far as north as Mt. Shasta. Once you start climbing out of California you'll top out at about 3,500 feet and then straight down to 2,000 (Ashland, Or). Heavy snow at 3,500 feet is pretty darned rare, again it takes one hell of a storm to get that low..
Siskiyou Summit is about 4400'.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:52 AM

780 posts, read 1,576,687 times
Well, I moved from Canton to Portland in 2011, but I did it via I-90, I-94, and I-84 (w/various connector roads) through North Dakota, Montana, etc. Of course, I did it in early June, which helped immensely. I wouldn't recommend that route in January, though.

Okay, back to topic, you might be okay taking a far more direct route (using I-80 most of the way). It all depends on the weather - if the weather isn't bad that particular week, go the most direct route. Just continue to check on the forecast. If you're driving to do it as fast as you can, you should be able to cover it in four very long days (that's what I did).

However, if the weather is bad around New Year's Day, don't be surprised if even the southern route is a real mess. Ice storms in Oklahoma and snow in Flagstaff aren't any fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon