Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 09:47 PM

17 posts, read 20,924 times

Advertisements

So, I am researching my homestate, cannot move yet because we are tied here by various circumstances but this gives us time to do our research and see what is right for us.

Silverton has come up in my research and from Google earth it looks nice, I researched what festivals are there, the parks that are nearby, I know its close to Salem, I know it has a creek, looks nice....nice restaurants and any chain we need we can find in Salem...

Do the train tracks have trains that run? how often? do they blow their whistles?

What are the rentals like, what are the prices say for a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom house with a fenced back yard for our dog?

The last thing is that despite the hype over mayor or former mayor who is a Transgendered individual, how would a Gay couple be treated? Is everyone truly welcome?

Oh and how religious oriented are the people there?

We are not Christians, we don't really discuss religion with strangers, though I do wear my ring but most people assume I am Jewish

Thanks in advance

Terry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 09:53 PM

49 posts, read 98,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMitchell74 View Post
So, I am researching my homestate, cannot move yet because we are tied here by various circumstances but this gives us time to do our research and see what is right for us.

Silverton has come up in my research and from Google earth it looks nice, I researched what festivals are there, the parks that are nearby, I know its close to Salem, I know it has a creek, looks nice....nice restaurants and any chain we need we can find in Salem...

Do the train tracks have trains that run? how often? do they blow their whistles?

What are the rentals like, what are the prices say for a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom house with a fenced back yard for our dog?

The last thing is that despite the hype over mayor or former mayor who is a Transgendered individual, how would a Gay couple be treated? Is everyone truly welcome?

Oh and how religious oriented are the people there?

We are not Christians, we don't really discuss religion with strangers, though I do wear my ring but most people assume I am Jewish

Thanks in advance

Terry
Oh look, you're in similar circumstances to me! I'm a trans person considering a move there, haha.

I hope that you find positive answers to your questions!

Old 07-12-2013, 06:19 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
Silverton's mayor is more accurately described as a transvestite. He had already served two terms as a traditionally male mayor before beginning to dress as a woman in his 50's. I guess people voted on the basis of his history as a good mayor previously. I suspect an unknown transgender entering Silverton politics would have ZERO chance of winning any major election there. Is the difference clear? Stu's decision has been controversial and the fact that he won re-election, again, in no way means Silverton is therefore open and accepting of Gay or Trangendered people. Do I have to say this: Barack Obama won re-election in 2012, what would you tell an African with America on his short list, who believes that America is now 'post race' America? All that said, I do not believe that Silverton, OR is a place that Gay or Transgendered people must avoid.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:37 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Silverton is a nice small town and generally welcoming but it is a small town where everyone knows everyone else's business. I remember reading one time that Stu said that Silverton was 50/50, 50% conservative and 50% artsy liberals. They have had some heated council meetings over there because it isn't this ultra liberal small town. It is a mix. All of my clients have liked living there but all have said that it can get gossipy at times. I think that is likely true of many small towns though.

So, I would expect that some people would be totally welcoming and others would give you the eye.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:47 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
Wow... You won't hear that from a realtor very often. But it does sum up the two council meetings I attended.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the replies, we will try to find another small town that is accepting, problem is we have very specific needs and silverton did fit those but there must be somewhere else that fits a similar bill....

Old 07-14-2013, 12:52 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMitchell74 View Post
Thanks for the replies, we will try to find another small town that is accepting, problem is we have very specific needs and silverton did fit those but there must be somewhere else that fits a similar bill....
Unless I miss my guess... again... Silverfall said Silverton is a 50/50 deal. Do you really imagine it gets any better than that??? If Silverton fits your needs it fits your needs, there isn't a small town anywhere in this COUNTRY that is going to be wholeheartedly welcoming of a family with the dynamics that you outlined. Small towns are the very definition of ignorant, intolerant, insular and uninviting. Why people with unique family dynamics love them so much I'll never understand but, as small towns go, Silverton is better than many and as good as any.

H

Old 07-14-2013, 03:33 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
The ignorant beat up on gays in Oregon too, just not as often as in some states. If you live outside the mainstream, you will be treated like you live outside the mainstream no matter where you go.

Try Rising Star Texas. Now that is Gay friendly. And for Lesbians there is Lake Brownwood. The last time I was there it was the largest lesbian enclave outside of California.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:02 AM

Jerome Arizona

Pop: 450

Gay friendly? Yes. In fact it's toted as the most gay friendly small town in the USA
Its a town filled with writers and art types and gay pride is held there once a year.

You just never know.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:53 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
TMitchell74 you and I are talking about different definitions of gay friendly. I would be stunned if anyone assaulted you in Silverton but I would expect you to get some looks, maybe someone calling you a name or two type of stuff. To me gay friendly is where you likely won't have that happen, which is what I would expect in Portland which I do consider gay friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon