Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:32 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,448,015 times

Advertisements

Once again, thanks to everyone for replies and helpful information. This forum is great!

I personally like Boise and fit right in, outdoorsy rugged individual type. My mom on the other hand is like my complete opposite. I do agree that the vibe in Portland may be more in line with her character and personality (save the piercings and tattoos )

We're going up to PNW next week to check out Portland and possibly Vancouver area (I heard Couv a bit cheaper than Portland)

Hopefully she'll feel better about the area than she does about Phoenix.

P.S. PNW is wonderful and if she decides to settle in there I will too get to enjoy everything it has to offer. I hear dance schools are top notch in Portland-right on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 10:43 AM

50 posts, read 101,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Once again, thanks to everyone for replies and helpful information. This forum is great!

I personally like Boise and fit right in, outdoorsy rugged individual type. My mom on the other hand is like my complete opposite. I do agree that the vibe in Portland may be more in line with her character and personality (save the piercings and tattoos )

We're going up to PNW next week to check out Portland and possibly Vancouver area (I heard Couv a bit cheaper than Portland)

Hopefully she'll feel better about the area than she does about Phoenix.

P.S. PNW is wonderful and if she decides to settle in there I will too get to enjoy everything it has to offer. I hear dance schools are top notch in Portland-right on
I will be interested to read your reviews of Vancouver. I have never visited but I have only heard the best things about the city.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:50 AM

32,683 posts, read 48,207,062 times
Perhaps if you were to tell us what language she speaks, maybe someone will know where there is a community that speaks the same language?

On the other hand, English as a second language classes are a good way to meet people.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:04 PM

17,645 posts, read 22,680,836 times
Sprechen sie Deutsch??.........

Polly vu Francais??

Comprende Americano??

Old 06-07-2013, 01:10 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,950,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Oh right, now mom's supposed to go online and hook up with total strangers or plane fare? LOL. You're about as bad as Pickering and his little fantasy of most 25 year olds running after old men for money. Maybe mom can pay for her own flights and would prefer to do so.
Well... if mom wants to meet a man, that is what she should do. I met my sweetheart of eight years online. If she had the idea that dating online amounted to hooking up with total strangers (which is what we were, eight years ago) where would we be? But... as usual, there is more to the story... mom's situation is not cut and dried, there is a language and culture issue... complicates things. I'm out of my depth. But not completely. If the o.p.'s mom finds Phoenix too hot, then Boise in summer won't win any prizes. The climate of the PNW should prevail in that area. Cost of living between the PNW and any other similarly livable areq of the U.S. will be exactly the same! You are NOT going to find some wondrous place with a COL index of 75 or 80. It's not going to happen. Cost of living for areas where the o.p.'s mom will want to be all have a COL around 100. Period. So... it comes down to intrinsics of weather, geography and not much else. People are the same wherever you go. There are only two flavors: big city people (NYC, LA, etc.) and everybody else. But, I'm like most that are reacting to the new, supplemental information that has come in. The priority intrinsic of a relocation destination will be one where a community of the same nationality as the o.p.'s mother has already decided to settle. Might also reduce/eliminate the need to search online for companionship.

H

Old 06-07-2013, 01:35 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,815,156 times
There's a difference between meeting people online and expecting them to pay for tickets and moving expenses, as you suggested.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:24 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,359,091 times
Salem has a large Slavic speaking community.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,489,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia 84 View Post
Thanks to all for the replies!

Yeah, I know it's kind of odd for a child to be acting on behalf of their parent looking for the best place for them to relocate to.

Unfortunately, in my situation I have to take on this weird role

My mom came over from Eastern Europe a couple of years ago and it's been tough finding a place to live where she'd feel somewhat comfortable. She doesn't drive and her English is pretty basic. Writing or typing is even harder. She's working on it but it's a slow and painful process. She is a nice, honest, super hard working person but her English is a major obstacle in her way.

She lives in Phoenix now and it's hard for her. It's too hot, too sprawling and just not her cup of tea.

So I'm trying to figure out where she would be most comfortable and have a decent quality of life without me constantly being around.
And once she settles in, improves her English and gets a life it would be good for her to start forming some sort of a social circle, that's why I'm trying to find a place where she could meet like-minded folks.

Hence this topic.

Right now I'm leaning towards Boise because of the high cost of living in the PNW. I think she'd prefer Portland because of it's public transport and gardening opportunities, but when I was looking at rents in the area I was shocked how expensive it is to live there, especially compared to Arizona.
This was a very important piece of information for us to know. It does explain why you are helping her out and her shyness. What part of Eastern Europe is she from? My own grandparents hailed from Lithuania and Latvia. If you could find an Eastern European church group in Portland and she could join them. I think that would be a great place for her to begin a nice social life. I know some used to exist I would imagine one or two still does.

I used to work with a young man who lived with his entire family and assorted relatives in a kind of neighborhood conclave in the suburb of Hillsboro. They have a community garden and do community gardening, are college educated and very outgoing. The older folks I believe are from the Ukraine.

Best of luck to your mom wherever she settles.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,170,925 times
I'm going to change direction and recommend Pittsburgh. We have a large eastern european population. The majority of our immigrant population is highly educated. Lots of gardening to be had here. There's a full four seasons. I'd classify it as a moderate city politically and socially. People are very friendly and outgoing and tollerant. I can't say peircings and tatoos are the norm here. People have them, but it's fairly rare in her age group. I'm sure you're mother would feel comfortable here. Pittsburgh reminds many europeans of home. I'm sure she will find many people who speak her language too. Post a thread in the Pittsburgh forum and get opinions from other locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon